What would you save?

So, this post is in the vein of what El Presedente posted, but with a little twist...

My wife and I are expecting our first (a boy!) within the next 24 hours and I was looking at buying ONE box that I could put back for him, as something he could hand out to his groomsmen at his wedding, or some other special event. But, in essence, i'm looking for a box that will have legs enough that in 20 years it will be a stellar cigar, not one that we realize we should have enjoyed 15 years prior.

Any good suggestions?

Some consistent recommendations I saw were:

898s

CoRos

Ds

Sir Winston's

Siglos

BBFs

But of course, while they all sound fantastic, I'm looking for just one... and needs those long legs...

THANK YOU!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

Espies or Lanceros,  but wait a bit and get a NOV 20 box code so it's extra special.

This....and get 2-3 boxes so you can smoke one every year on his birthday and he can have one for his special occasion.

This was the route i took last year for my son's birth and I'm going to light up a Tanios later this month to celebrate his first birthday!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KavalanWhisky said:

This....and get 2-3 boxes so you can smoke one every year on his birthday and he can have one for his special occasion.

This was the route i took last year for my son's birth and I'm going to light up a Tanios later this month to celebrate his first birthday!

Yes good idea. I got a random box from my son's birth month and smoked 5 before I realized what I had. Later I managed to get another 2 boxes with the same code, so I should be good for a lot of birthdays now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Yes good idea. I got a random box from my son's birth month and smoked 5 before I realized what I had. Later I managed to get another 2 boxes with the same code, so I should be good for a lot of birthdays now.

I did that same thing, smoked a few from a box before realizing. Now I have a couple boxes from Feb 20. Still would like to find a box of something special though. I also need to find find something special from June 17 for my first sons birthday. I’m sure something will present itself at some point. 

• Like 1

None of the above, plus any of the above.

There's a slim chance that all those groomsmen are going to appreciate a 20+yo cigar. After hyping it up for 20+ years, you're setting yourself up for disappointment when they take 2 puffs then ditch them in an ashtray.

I'd get a box of something cheaper, closer to the wedding, to share, and a box (of any of the above) now, for you and your son to enjoy privately. If I'd to choose from the list above, I'd go 898, but that's just personal preference. Also don't sleep on the hoyo dc. They may be gentle giants, but they're leggy...

• Like 3

It’s funny you asked this question. My son graduates from college in May of 21. I am starting to give some thought to the same question, although buying a box to celebrate “his” financial freedom.

My daughter follows the next year so I can double down. with the way prices are heading, those may be my only $1,000 boxes of cigars though. 

I currently have a smattering of all of the cigars mentioned above. The Coro has been the consistent performer for me.  Love the Lusitania but it’s always a bit too long of a smoke, even sitting by the pool during the summer w nothing to do. I would give some thought to your preferred smoking experience as well. I tend to like narrower RG, which will guide my purchase along w production and production quality. You might get lucky and find a box of Nov 898’s for example. Not so much if you were looking last spring. 

Most importantly congrats. The days my kids were born are among the best days of my life. Cherish the time, even those late nights. They grow up quickly (so you can buy another milestone box of cigars). 

41 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

None of the above, plus any of the above.

There's a slim chance that all those groomsmen are going to appreciate a 20+yo cigar. After hyping it up for 20+ years, you're setting yourself up for disappointment when they take 2 puffs then ditch them in an ashtray.

I'd get a box of something cheaper, closer to the wedding, to share, and a box (of any of the above) now, for you and your son to enjoy privately. If I'd to choose from the list above, I'd go 898, but that's just personal preference. Also don't sleep on the hoyo dc. They may be gentle giants, but they're leggy...

Perfect advice. 

• Like 3