Havana's Jose Marti airport opens up again

Starting next Sunday 15th Nov, international tourist flights landing in Havana again.

http://www.granma.cu/cuba/2020-11-10/reiniciara-sus-operaciones-el-aeropuerto-internacional-jose-marti-de-la-habana-10-11-2020-22-11-52?fbclid=IwAR18mDq7qi8Y2CWCJGe2DA5hksOhb0SP9M-nFjbzZ-Unj7MNfkNbW-wSx5c

What I'm hearing is that there is a Covid test result required from within 48 hours of taking off and another test on landing.

Suspected cases quarantined for 14 days. Proper quarantine, not the "we believe you" Irish type of quarantine for tourists.

So it's early days yet but it's a start. It feels like my tourniquet has been loosened very slightly.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

Do you have any feel for how open Havana will be

That's the real question. Airport opening is well and good but will Havana be? 

Looks like they claimed 3 days ago the situation in Havana is "under control"...

• 2 weeks later...

And so it goes

On 11/12/2020 at 1:29 AM, El Presidente said:

if they allow unfettered tourism then they will be back to square 1 before Christmas. 

They sure try their best to follow your advice .... :

https://oncubanews.com/en/coronavirus/coronavirus-in-cuba-20-imported-cases-among-todays-38-new-infections/

• Like 1

Tourists from Russia are high risk. Russia is ripping with Covid although extremely under reported by the kremlin.  As is Mexico and the US of course. Who knows the real number of infections in Cuba. Two steps back for Cuba.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:52 AM, Drguano said:

Good news indeed, Andy! Over here, we still have a second tourniquet to loosen, hopefully in late January. 

US North east?. Tighten the tourniquet , real tight .

Directorio Cubano says the newspaper La Tribuna de La Habana posted November 18 that tourists are to quarantine for 7 days. Later in the  evening in the TV show "La Mesa Redonda" (The Round Table) Carmelo Trujillo Machado in front of MINSAP (Health Department) stated that the quarantine will be for 10 days. A PCR test is given upon arrival, if you fail it its 14 days in the hole. If you pass it, a second test is required 5 days after arrival. If you leave before the 5 days its not required. If you fail it at any time, you'll be bunking with a nice Russian lady. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

Directorio Cubano says the newspaper La Tribuna de La Habana posted November 18 that tourists are to quarantine for 7 days. Later in the  evening in the TV show "La Mesa Redonda" (The Round Table) Carmelo Trujillo Machado in front of MINSAP (Health Department) stated that the quarantine will be for 10 days. A PCR test is given upon arrival, if you fail it its 14 days in the hole. If you pass it, a second test is required 5 days after arrival. If you leave before the 5 days its not required. If you fail it at any time, you'll be bunking with a nice Russian lady. 

I also have read an article that says 10 days ( but only for Cubans - not for tourists )
Tourists supposed to get a test and a 5 day quarantine in Hotel "under surveillance" or in a Casa Partcular "moving freely".
See link :
https://www.14ymedio.com/cuba/protocolo-covid-diferente-residentes-turistas_0_2988901088.html

That "no-test again if you leave before 5 days rule" is sure to bring in a lot of harm from "week-end" Florida Cubans IMO....

BTW : All my Cuban friends call it "La Mesa Retonta" - The Dumb Table.

A buddy of mine just came back. Stayed in a casa particular 4 days, moved around as he wished. He did say a lot of the hotel/cigar shops were closed. He bought CUC at 1.50. He did not notice a price change on the cigars he bought. He did get a grilling one hour interview on his way out by immigration, almost missed his plane. John 

2 hours ago, DSegal said:

Grilling on the way out of Havana? That is odd. What country is he from?

This has happened to me on several occasions, especially when you have a short stay. They want to know if you were just dropping off bomb materials or something else counter-revolucionary. Their paranoia supersedes them. John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Going to Havana during a Pandemic? Hard pass for me. 

True. I've caught enough bacteria/viruses on trips down before 2020!

And then there's the Cuban flu on top. Too many cigars, mojitos and lack of sleep combined with the noxious smoke from the vehicles....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vladdraq said:

DAmn that sounds awesome!

Actually well worth the side effects!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

True. I've caught enough bacteria/viruses on trips down before 2020!

And then there's the Cuban flu on top. Too many cigars, mojitos and lack of sleep combined with the noxious smoke from the vehicles....

Once I get the vaccine I'm there pronto! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Once I get the vaccine I'm there pronto! 

As I said above, well worth the side effects!

Hope to see you down there soon.