James Bond and Cigars

13 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Moore is smoking a huge cigar in Live and Let Die. Definitely not a Monte3

16053263303516996069520703935082.jpg

I believe the Monte 3s mentioned were for his personal consumption off screen not in the movies.

On 11/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, mprach024 said:

Interesting.  I’m the opposite, I really like Brosnan as an actor, I just don’t rate him well as Bond because I think his last bond flicks were 2 of the worst in the series.

Like you said, the flicks were bad - a function of script and production - but he was a great Bond.  That’s why the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair was awesome.  Bond in Manhattan stealing art and balling in a life of mystery for kicks. Probably made that movie because he saw how awful his Bond movies were going.  Only made one more after that.

And to address some other comments here, Craig is an awesome Bond and I love the prospect of Tom Hardy taking the role.  Or Idris Elba, perhaps?

On 11/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, mprach024 said:

Interesting.  I’m the opposite, I really like Brosnan as an actor, I just don’t rate him well as Bond because I think his last bond flicks were 2 of the worst in the series.

Duplicate. Whistle Pig is speaking to me

10 hours ago, BigGuns said:

Like you said, the flicks were bad - a function of script and production - but he was a great Bond.  That’s why the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair was awesome.  Bond in Manhattan stealing art for and balling in a life of mystery kicks. Probably made that movie because he saw how awful his Bond movies were going.  Only made one more after that.

And to address some other comments here, Craig is an awesome Bond and I love the prospect of Tom Hardy taking the role.  Or Idris Elba, perhaps?

Agree on Craig, agree on Hardy, agree on Idris Elba, agree on Thomas Crown Affair.  Probably watched that stupid movie 200 times ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BigGuns said:

Like you said, the flicks were bad - a function of script and production - but he was a great Bond.  That’s why the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair was awesome.  Bond in Manhattan stealing art and balling in a life of mystery for kicks. Probably made that movie because he saw how awful his Bond movies were going.  Only made one more after that.

brosnan did not stop of his own accord. they dumped him for craig. i believe he was very unhappy about it. when he started, i thought that as a bond, he was a great remington steele. but i really thought he was getting better each time. 

craig has been excellent. but i think the change in direction helped. even quantum, which i always thought was almost as bad as octopussy when i first saw it, is not so bad if one ignores the direction of the fight/action scenes (which are simply chaotic). of course, ignoring the action in a bond flick is rather missing the point. i think that the direction was what killed that flick. 

i was a big fan on hardy being next (cavill if they wanted to go more sophisticated) but i suspect that hardy's time has passed. they don't make them that often these days. first thirty years, it was every year or two. big gap between dalton and brosnan and then about every three years. now 06, 08, 12, 15, 21. 

with this latest one delayed, the virus and so on, you have to think the next one is 2024 earliest, more likely 2025. perhaps even later. hardy will be pushing late 40s. no way are they taking him on at that age. they will want someone younger so they can get 4-5 films out of them. idris elba would have been a great choice a while back but he'll be mid 50s plus. forget it. he has about as much chance as i do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Roger Moore was already 46 in his first Bond film in 1973. For what it's worth 

exactly. and they learnt from that. they might do it for a one or two film stint if the story arc led them there but i do not see it. and if they are just doing the next bond as per the usual, no chance. 

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

exactly. and they learnt from that. they might do it for a one or two film stint if the story arc led them there but i do not see it. and if they are just doing the next bond as per the usual, no chance. 

Hardy looks like he’s 22 when he’s not all Peaky Blindered up, I’d say he has a chance yet.  I think what will stop Hardy is he’s already in a franchise with Mad Max, and Broccoli will want the new guy to be the face of Bond.  But to your point I agree Elba time has passed, he would have been great but they’ll find someone else.  Most likely when he’s announced most of us will go...”who?”.  Afterall when they chose Daniel Craig he wasn’t on my radar but he turned out fantastic, I only knew him from Layer Cake (great flick btw). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Hardy looks like he’s 22 when he’s not all Peaky Blindered up, I’d say he has a chance yet.  I think what will stop Hardy is he’s already in a franchise with Mad Max, and Broccoli will want the new guy to be the face of Bond.  But to your point I agree Elba time has passed, he would have been great but they’ll find someone else.  Most likely when he’s announced most of us will go...”who?”.  Afterall when they chose Daniel Craig he wasn’t on my radar but he turned out fantastic, I only knew him from Layer Cake (great flick btw). 

good point about mad max - it is on tonight over here. 

yes, craig was a bolt from the blue. layercake was a cracking film. also Munich. he was good in that as well - that could have been such a better film if they did not whitewash the errors the group made. shooting the waiter. 

he was also in a series called archangel, set in russia. he was a history professor, from memory. they were chasing stalin's mystery son who wanted to take over russia. not the worst thing ever done but unlikely to knock off the sopranos etc. 

other than that, he was that sort of bloke who appeared in a few things but you would be hard put to name them. 

• Like 1

I love the dialogue here...wish I could offer a bit more, but I agree with all that you guys are saying.  I’m sure it will be a new choice with a “I need to look this guy up” reaction, and I hope it’s a good one.  I also hope the intervals between movies shorten as things begin to normalize five years from now!

I’m late to this thread but as somebody who read all the JB books when I was young (that’s a while ago), I favor the less “sensitive” Bonds who really played the role- Connery, Moore, Craig (although several issues as a purist), and less so Brosnan (he’s always Remington to me).

I know that Dalton was classically trained and all that,  but you shouldn’t have to worry about Bond bursting into tears....

The breaking point for me would be recasting Bond as a woman.....that’s been rumored as coming.....I know my limits and I’m not that modern....  :)

5 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

I’m late to this thread but as somebody who read all the JB books when I was young (that’s a while ago), I favor the less “sensitive” Bonds who really played the role- Connery, Moore, Craig (although several issues as a purist), and less so Brosnan (he’s always Remington to me).

I know that Dalton was classically trained and all that,  but you shouldn’t have to worry about Bond bursting into tears....

The breaking point for me would be recasting Bond as a woman.....that’s been rumored as coming.....I know my limits and I’m not that modern....  :)

interesting how different people, different perspectives.

as i have said, i am also in the brosnan is remington steele first and foremost. but i can't see moore in that darker/less sensitive bracket. surely dalton is far more in that group than moore? by a very long way. 

yes, bond has to be a bloke. but i believe that the producers have said absolutely not. bond will remain a bloke. 

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

interesting how different people, different perspectives.

as i have said, i am also in the brosnan is remington steele first and foremost. but i can't see moore in that darker/less sensitive bracket. surely dalton is far more in that group than moore? by a very long way. 

yes, bond has to be a bloke. but i believe that the producers have said absolutely not. bond will remain a bloke. 

Wasn't there a huge kerfuffle last year when it leaked that in this new film bond Craig bites the big one and there is a soul transference scene akin to Dr Who where Bond morphs into a black lesbian? Danny Boyle quit over it? (More over the sci fi soul transfer scene if I remember right) It seemed a little far fetched at the time.

Edit- apparently this wasn't a port and cheese induced dream and is actually being reported as true:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/11/lashana-lynch-will-new-black-lesbian-007-james-bond-franchise/

3 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

lesbian

I do hope this leaves the "blond bombshell bond girls turning out to be part of the evil team" theme to continue. ?

But seriously, I'm all for equal rights for all humans, but speaking from a non-white person's perspective, do they really need to replace all the white male roles with someone "exotic"? I mean, can't you just create new characters instead?

3 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

apparently this wasn't a port and cheese induced dream and is actually being reported as true:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/11/lashana-lynch-will-new-black-lesbian-007-james-bond-franchise/

She is 007.  But she’s not James Bond.  James Bond is still a character in the flick, so I’m assuming he’s retired and his digits have been given to a new agent?  My guess, we’ll find out whenever they actually release it.  

19 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Wasn't there a huge kerfuffle last year when it leaked that in this new film bond Craig bites the big one and there is a soul transference scene akin to Dr Who where Bond morphs into a black lesbian? Danny Boyle quit over it? (More over the sci fi soul transfer scene if I remember right) It seemed a little far fetched at the time.

Edit- apparently this wasn't a port and cheese induced dream and is actually being reported as true:

boyle was not happy over something. not sure it was ever specified other than the usual creative differences. a lot thought it was because he wanted or did not want bond killed off. but i gather that when he returns in this one, the new woman has his number. the numbers get passed on so 007 can be anyone. don't think there was any transferring.