Freezing cigars

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everything that I fly out of Cuba with goes through the freezer.  Everything that is gifted to me (anywhere) goes through the freezer.  All NC, go through the freezer. 

Perhaps.  Tale of the tape is that I haven't seen a live beetle in a box of Cuban cigars since around 2006.  150,000 + boxes looked at and counting 

I freeze every box of Cubans I buy. No longer buy NC cigars. After you have a beetle outbreak destroy cigars, you tend to change your ways. 

I freeze every box of Cubans I buy. No longer buy NC cigars. After you have a beetle outbreak destroy cigars, you tend to change your ways. 

• Like 3

I freeze as well. Take box and wrap in the bubble wrap you receive it in. Throw in a freezer bag. Put directly in freezer for a few days. Take it out and leave on counter for a few hours. Into humidor. Please don’t waste your time with all the put in fridge in the veggie drawer for 3 days then freezer then fridge yada yada. Cigars are hardier than you think. 

Many will chime in that Cuba freezes their stock before export, which is technically true. But then you go on to see Cuba forget to put bands on cigars or send out empty boxes. The Cuban govt isn’t know for consistent practices...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, djrey said:

I freeze as well. Take box and wrap in the bubble wrap you receive it in. Throw in a freezer bag. Put directly in freezer for a few days. Take it out and leave on counter for a few hours. Into humidor. Please don’t waste your time with all the put in fridge in the veggie drawer for 3 days then freezer then fridge yada yada. Cigars are hardier than you think. 

Many will chime in that Cuba freezes their stock before export, which is technically true. But then you go on to see Cuba forget to put bands on cigars or send out empty boxes. The Cuban govt isn’t know for consistent practices...

Their power grid is obsolete and not dependable. Apparently the cigars are not frozen at a very low temp. My chest freezer runs at -10 F and 48 hours in there is plenty to crack any beetle eggs. I don't use the fridge either. Cigars go straight into freezer for 48 hours, then out of freezer onto counter top for 30 minutes to warm up to room temp, then directly into cabinet humidor. No issues at all and no beetles!

• Like 3

Here is what I am going to do. I’m going to pick out a few NC’s and freeze them.

Then I’m going to give them some time to rest in the humidor and come back to it and compare it to one (same box) that wasn’t frozen.

Test for myself if I can notice any difference.

I wouldn’t want any beetles ruining my fun that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I freeze everything.  I’ve posted before I think it helps shorten sick period/resting period, and hey I’ve got a lot of money in my sticks, might as well be safe, it’s easy and doesn’t cost extra.

You won’t notice a difference, and that’s a good thing.  You don’t want to notice anything.  You just don’t want beetles.

Just now, mprach024 said:

I freeze everything.  I’ve posted before I think it helps shorten sick period/resting period, and hey I’ve got a lot of money in my sticks, might as well be safe, it’s easy and doesn’t cost extra.

You won’t notice a difference, and that’s a good thing.  You don’t want to notice anything.  You just don’t want beetles.

I’m going to pick up a 5-7 cu. ft. freezer from Home Depot tomorrow and over the next couple weeks I’m going to freeze my entire collection. After I got to thinking about all the money I have invested I’m no longer willing to take the risk of an infestation. My temps got to 70* a couple times this summer and it sketches me out. Especially with having customs in my collection and the fact that Cuba isn’t known for its consistency. Hard to trust that all of my regular stock boxes got frozen before they shipped. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Their power grid is obsolete and not dependable. Apparently the cigars are not frozen at a very low temp.

Perhaps. 

Tale of the tape is that I haven't seen a live beetle in a box of Cuban cigars since around 2006.  150,000 + boxes looked at and counting :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, djrey said:

Please don’t waste your time with all the put in fridge in the veggie drawer for 3 days then freezer then fridge yada yada. Cigars are hardier than you think. 

It’s about humidity, often times shipped cigars can come in over humidified.  The fridge dries them out.  I assume you know what happens to water when it freezes, if you buy a high end box or expensive box of Cohiba, at high humidity straight into a flash freeze at -10 you run a risk of splitting.  The fridge dries them, and gradually brings them down and back up to temp.  Could be malarkey and unnecessary.  It’s also no charge, and zero hassle, so why not be safe?

26 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

It’s about humidity, often times shipped cigars can come in over humidified.  The fridge dries them out.  I assume you know what happens to water when it freezes, if you buy a high end box or expensive box of Cohiba, at high humidity straight into a flash freeze at -10 you run a risk of splitting.  The fridge dries them, and gradually brings them down and back up to temp.  Could be malarkey and unnecessary.  It’s also no charge, and zero hassle, so why not be safe?

Out of all the boxes I have froze in a deep freezer, never seen one cigar with a split wrapper. YMMV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFly said:

I freeze everything that arrives now after finding a beetle in a cigar I bought last year at LCDH Amsterdam. Seems like there is no downside to freezing them.

This is a good point. With the recent price difference for CCs between Cuba and the rest of the world, I've heard of stores (maybe even LCDHs) re-selling cigars bought in Cuba.

I don't order NCs very often and usually don't freeze those. I do freeze all my CCs though. I generally prefer at least 1 day in the fridge post as i'm in a slightly higher humidity environment and want to avoid condensation.

I've also been told you don't need much time at 0F/-18C as i think 12 hours will do it, though I always give it at least 24 hours (really, 3 days normally in case there is temp inconsistency).

i just keep all my cigars at 65/65 in wineadors with battery backups so hopefully i don't have to worry about beetles. i get them all from the same places too, which i think helps

I've also been told if you have eggs, they WILL hatch regardless of temp. They just prefer warmer so will hatch sooner.

They'll generally hatch within 9 mo, so the thing to do would be quarantine for 12 mo before mixing with the rest of your stock (if you don't want to freeze).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Everything I bring back from Cuba does 1 day in the fridge, 4 days in freezer and 2 days back in the fridge. I don’t worry much of anything from FOH.

Everything has been checked, with nice padding to protect the feet. ?