weird fines when driving

On 11/17/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bijan said:

Always odd that the convention for escalators though is to stand on the right and let people pass on the left. I believe this is due to the design of the original escalators.

But apparently in Australia you stand on the left and walk on the right.

I guess we should ask who invented escalators :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator_etiquette

Because we drive on the left. You keep left, and overtake on the right. Same goes for stairs and escalators.

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

Because we drive on the left. You keep left, and overtake on the right. Same goes for stairs and escalators.

That is indeed very logical but not what is done in England where they keep to the right. At least that's what I noticed whenever I was in London.

Which always made me wonder since as you say it would seem logical to keep to the same side of the escalator as when driving.

15 hours ago, Bijan said:

That is indeed very logical but not what is done in England where they keep to the right. At least that's what I noticed whenever I was in London.

Which always made me wonder since as you say it would seem logical to keep to the same side of the escalator as when driving.

Because the early escalator design used in the London Underground shunted people off to the left. So walkers would go on the left and exit quickly, while stationary people would keep right. And stubborn Brits, just kept on doing it that way, even when new tech came along to make that just another ridiculously silly habit. Now, if they had only stuck with the spiral escalator...

7 hours ago, helix said:

Ever notice most boats are right hand drive globally?

Not being someone who hangs around boats, nope. But it does seem to be normal for the wheel to be on the right hand side... unless it is in the centre.