Rare back to back vintages declared for port (2016-17)

Cayman17

Anyone seen this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deborahparkerwong.com/2019/05/18/rare-back-to-back-vintage-declaration-for-port/amp/

I’ve got a few bottles of 2016 put away but no 2017 yet. 2016 is supposed to be more delicate and complex, while 2017 is said to be more dense and powerful.  I can only get Churchills and Cockburn 2017 at my local store.  

Any port drinkers here? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

Anyone seen this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deborahparkerwong.com/2019/05/18/rare-back-to-back-vintage-declaration-for-port/amp/

I’ve got a few bottles of 2016 put away but no 2017 yet. 2016 is supposed to be more delicate and complex, while 2017 is said to be more dense and powerful.  I can only get Churchills and Cockburn 2017 at my local store.  

Any port drinkers here? 

some have also declared 2018 - a trio is unheard of. 

i've seen almost all the 16s but only a few 17s. but i think you have the general description pretty much spot on. this was something i did for Q&P (and which has largely been pinched for a kenfessions to come soon - i figure i should be allowed to plagarise myself). 

https://quillandpad.com/2020/11/16/taylors-trio-of-new-vintage-ports-there-will-be-comparative-tastings-for-decades-to-come/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am little into port.  I try not buy new vintages unless a deal falls on my lap.  Primarily drinking '63 - '70...  Occasionally something from the 80's.  Even 2011 seems like a vintage I will have in elderly years.  I am a little skeptical what a review out of tonneau is going to taste like in a bottle for 30-40 years as marching orders to buy.  Today's aguardente and bottling room hygiene certainly improve port quality as  whole.  I don't need a review of Fonseca, Dow, or Taylor; just going to buy it either way.

Churchill's is a good value brand and Cockburn's quality has turned around since the Symington's took over the house.  

When the top ports of the 80's sell for similar prices as a current vintage; it's hard for me to want a 2017 vintage port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I drink Port.  Goes well with cigars. I've got about a dozen bottles from the 2011 Vintage still sitting.  "Best in 100 years" apparently. Not likely that I'll be able to test that assertion.  :D  I'll keep an eye out.  Thanks for the heads up.

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Churchill's is a good value brand and Cockburn's quality has turned around since the Symington's took over the house.  

When the top ports of the 80's sell for similar prices as a current vintage; it's hard for me to want a 2017 vintage port.

that is exactly right. it is one of the few wines where you can buy terrific mature examples for similar dosh as to the latest releases. long may it continue. will confess i do a bit of the same as this - have slowed buying considerably, although i did pick up some 16s because they are just so gorgeous, even now. not sure there is much point in me buying much from 17. 

agree also re both churchill and cockburns. did a tasting of cockburns with the symington people a couple of years ago and was amazed at the step up. always loved churchills but hard to find here. we got some of the early vintages but not for ages. first met Johnny Graham in the late 80s when i played cricket against him and some of the other port makers. great fun. 

• Like 2

Churchills also makes tremendous dry wine; especially their reserva's.  Both their ports and dry wines aren't so easy to get in the US.  Seems to go through cycles of availability on the market.

" When the top ports of the 80's sell for similar prices as a current vintage; it's hard for me to want a 2017 vintage port."

here it is, in a nutshell.;)

5 hours ago, garbandz said:

" When the top ports of the 80's sell for similar prices as a current vintage; it's hard for me to want a 2017 vintage port."

here it is, in a nutshell.;)

It use to be that "vintage ports should be drunk around 20 years old".  That may have been the case, but with improvements in production and bottling has made that not so true a statement today.   Try a top 1994 vintage or even 2000; they taste more primary than the 1980-1985 did 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

It use to be that "vintage ports should be drunk around 20 years old".  That may have been the case, but with improvements in production and bottling has made that not so true a statement today.   Try a top 1994 vintage or even 2000; they taste more primary than the 1980-1985 did 10 years ago.

i think that is right but on the other hand, the wines are also much more approachable when young - better winemaking, better spirit and probably a deliberate if unexpressed decision to do that. i think in general, better wines all round. there are plenty of people, not sure why or where they came from, who prefer the younger styles. they miss out but each to their own. 

19 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

there are plenty of people, not sure why or where they came from, who prefer the younger styles. they miss out but each to their own.

I get their perspective.  Look at how big modern name CA cab's and zin's taste like.  Vintage port, when young plays to that style on turbo.  I'll do a crusted on LBV if want than sacrifice at VP.  That being said, I like Quinta Vesuvio's & Dow on the young side as long as it's not my bottle lol.

Deciding on what to open for turkey day.  Leaning towards '85 Fonseca.  Suppose there will be group wine photo later posted.  Serving 5 in total at my house today.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I get their perspective.  Look at how big modern name CA cab's and zin's taste like.  Vintage port, when young plays to that style on turbo.  I'll do a crusted on LBV if want than sacrifice at VP.  That being said, I like Quinta Vesuvio's & Dow on the young side as long as it's not my bottle lol.

Deciding on what to open for turkey day.  Leaning towards '85 Fonseca.  Suppose there will be group wine photo later posted.  Serving 5 in total at my house today.

exactly. some get hooked on that huge profile in cabs and shiraz and so for them, young VPs are the go.

had a 1980 Taylors yesterday. looked terrific. have a great thanksgiving. 

17 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

exactly. some get hooked on that huge profile in cabs and shiraz and so for them, young VPs are the go.

had a 1980 Taylors yesterday. looked terrific. have a great thanksgiving. 

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Here's what I ended up serving for wine.  5 of us in total.  '77 Grahams is in the big leagues now.  Took a long time to get there.

202 thanksgiving wines.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Here's what I ended up serving for wine.  5 of us in total.  '77 Grahams is in the big leagues now.  Took a long time to get there.

202 thanksgiving wines.JPG

terrific collection. 77 grahams long a favourite. just gets better and better. we had a 02 comte a few days ago. wonderful wine. 

3 hours ago, RDB said:

This is on the chopping block at my house tonight.

Plenty of dark fruit and some power to it.  Hotter than I remember it.  One of the top 10 ports for the decade.

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Plenty of dark fruit and some power to it.  Hotter than I remember it.  One of the top 10 ports for the decade.

Yes. In my glass now. There seems to be more alcohol in this one than the last bottle I had - maybe a better cork. There’s still a lot of juicy, black cherry flesh to it, which is a hallmark of Fonseca to me. Also a twist of Amaro bitters that adds structure and an almost salty richness. Great fun, and clearly has decades of life left if stored properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDB said:

Great fun, and clearly has decades of life left if stored properly.

That is why I don't drink that vintage often.  It's still got places to go and it's becoming harder to find.  I think I have about case and a half of '85 Fonseca.

Here's was last night's port selection.  The 1985 Robertson's is quite rare and actually a fantastic fruity port that is holding up quite well.  1983 Cockburn is known to be plagued with TCA and this bottle was no exception.  A real tragedy is this could've been on of the best ports of the decade.

Mixing TCA effected ports with cellophane can lower the taste of TCA and it did work to major degree, but it was not 100%.

1985-Robertson-s-VP[1].jpg