Traveling to Chi-Town and the Big-D

There is a good chance I will be heading to Chicago next week for a two day project. What are the most recent lock down rules? Is there any chance I will be able to actually get pre-made take-out meals at a restaurant, perhaps dine out, or should I plan on only being able to visit groceries and make my own food? I need to determine what amenities to look for when booking a hotel.  Is there a curfew?  Any cigar lounges open right now?  

Also, I will probably head down to Dallas afterwards for some personal work, to explore the area, and regain part of my sanity. How is the scene down there and what are the current restrictions, if any?  Any cigar lounges or other friendly establishments open, and, if so, any recommendations?  

Thanks in advance.

In Chicago there are plenty of places to eat, no dine in, carry out or delivery only, there isn’t a curfew but most places have short hours, masks are pretty much required everywhere. As far as cigar lounges, I was at casa de montecristo yesterday in countryside, I was able to purchase cigars and smoke in the lounge with no problem, I was getting my transmission fluid changed at a nearby dealership and I took an Uber there. As far as downtown I’m not sure about cigar lounges, I live on the south side by midway airport so this place is about 20 minutes from me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=casa de montecristo

• Like 1

City of Chicago has a quarantine/travel ban. https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/emergency-travel-order.html

If you are coming in from 'red' state then you must quarantine 14 days.

If you are coming from 'orange' state then you can get a Negative COVID test 72hr prior to arrival and you do not have to quarantine for 14 days.

There is a monetary fine for the violation of these quarantine rules.  There is also an exemption rule if you are deemed essential.

Having said that, the city does not have the capacity/willingness to enforce these rules. ( if you are dealing with a government entity, these rules may apply.)

You cannot eat indoors in IL.  There are places with outdoor seating but its kinda cold and windy and spotty as to places which have outdoor seating.  You may get take out, get food delivered, etc., so you will have no problem getting food that is already made. 

I don't think there is a curfew that I know of. 

On the website, Iwan Ries in the loop seems to have their lounge open.  I have not looked into other cigar lounges lately.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I have already looked into getting a C-19 test before leaving.  And it is great to know there are placed to hang out and have a good cigar.  

Insofar as the dates, not sure yet.  We got the go ahead and that we are the contractor who will be working on this project this afternoon, and it is now a 3 day shoot instead of a 2 day, but we are waiting for production to set this up.  I am pushing for next week, so arrival on Tuesday and staying until Saturday.  Unfortunately the third location is yet to be determined, but we are pushing for next week since C-19 lockdowns I assume will only  get worse. 

But @lovethehaze I would happy to set up a herf once I have the dates finalized, assuming it does not go south.  Hey, I've gotten the verbal green light on projects in the past only for them to disappear once it came time to sign on the line that is dotted.  

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I have already looked into getting a C-19 test before leaving.  And it is great to know there are placed to hang out and have a good cigar.  
Insofar as the dates, not sure yet.  We got the go ahead and that we are the contractor who will be working on this project this afternoon, and it is now a 3 day shoot instead of a 2 day, but we are waiting for production to set this up.  I am pushing for next week, so arrival on Tuesday and staying until Saturday.  Unfortunately the third location is yet to be determined, but we are pushing for next week since C-19 lockdowns I assume will only  get worse. 
But [mention=32986]lovethehaze[/mention] I would happy to set up a herf once I have the dates finalized, assuming it does not go south.  Hey, I've gotten the verbal green light on projects in the past only for them to disappear once it came time to sign on the line that is dotted.  

Just let me know when it’s finalized. Have a great thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

So if you're coming from the 'red' state of Texas for example, which has some of the LOWEST numbers of new COVID cases, you have to quarantine. But if you come from the 'blue' state of New Mexico, which has some of the HIGHEST numbers of new cases, you're good to go? Yeah...that makes sense ??‍♀️

And trust me, this isnt a 'shoot the messenger' situation. I know you're just posting info. But I am baffled by the 'logic' of this.

Don't think I've heard of an 'orange' state before. 

CHEERS ?

I think they mean colors in terms of how much covid per capita is in the state. So by that logic New Mexico would be redder than Texas if there's more covid in New Mexico.

Edit: Turns out both those states are Orange :)

Vermont, Maine and Hawaii are yellow.

2 hours ago, lovethehaze said:

Are you staying downtown Chicago ? Go to updown cigar @5thStarChicago is the owner ... great spot has a heated patio outback. 

what days will u be there ? Maybe a few of us can meet for a smoke ...

Up Down is a great place. @5thStarChicago is a fellow FOH'er. Very gracious and all around great guy. If you meet up with @lovethehaze ask him to bring his specialty beers. He got me hooked on a couple of outstanding brews during our last herf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alloy said:

What part of Dallas?

Pretty much anywhere that has great architecture to photograph, so not many places.  

Just joking, but in comparing Dallas vs. Fort Worth, it seems FW is better when it comes to modern architecture.  

• 3 weeks later...

So production got pushed back into January.  Here's hoping the lockdowns do not become more strict.  

I plan on being there from the 10th through the 15th, and then off to TX.  

• Like 2

There is a good chance I will be heading to Chicago next week for a two day project. What are the most recent lock down rules? Is there any chance I will be able to actually get pre-made take-out meals at a restaurant, perhaps dine out, or should I plan on only being able to visit groceries and make my own food? I need to determine what amenities to look for when booking a hotel.  Is there a curfew?  Any cigar lounges open right now?     Also, I will probably head down to Dallas afterwards for some personal work, to explore the area, and regain part of my sanity. How is the scene down there and what are the current restrictions, if any?  Any cigar lounges or other friendly establishments open, and, if so, any recommendations?     Thanks in advance.

No curfew. Bars are closed. Restaurants are closed for indoor dining, but outdoor is ok. You’ll find some open on Rush Street downtown by the 4 Seasons.

Up Down Cigar is the best cigar shop in the city - they have an outdoor lounge that is open.

Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumping in late but if Iwan Ries is open, you should definitely stop by.  I grew up in Chicago and that’s one of the places that made me fall in love with the “romance” of cigars.  It doesn’t get any more legit old school, right down to the ancient elevator to get there.  You feel out of place without a fedora and it’s like you walked into a Lew Rothman anecdote.