Hello - Another New Member from NC!

Cabinet89

Hello everyone.  I see several others from North Carolina here already!  It is nice to know there are some nearby folks.  I am in Eastern NC Around Raleigh, Fayetteville, and Wilmington area.  

I found this forum yesterday in a web search for coolerdors and storage.  Actually it was this great post that got me here:

I didn't take the best advice on the thread but I did get a couple rubbermaid brilliance tubs and some 69 bovidas.  Previously... Don't laugh too loud... but previously I had been using an antique tobacco stand that was passed down to me from my parrents.  You know a wood stand that has a door and a copper lined interior.  It actually did a better job than my first small desktop humidor.  I would throw a wet rag in there any time it got dry.  Tap water.  Very sophisticated.  Needless to say I didn't keep any good cigars on hand for very long.  If I wanted a good cigar I went to the shop and purchased one and they were all gone within a couple weeks.  There is still pipe tobacco in that stand.  Anyways now that I have a better way to keep stable humidity I already placed an online order to start a collection.  The cooler may come one day soon.  My tupperdor stays in a room that is humidified to 50% +/- a few percent to help with guitar stability.

I have on and off enjoyed cigars since around 2000.  Always new world as that is what is available.  I've had a few Cubans that coworkers brought from Cuba or when I traveled abroad.  Always Cohiba.  Very limited experience with CC.  My favorite is Padron 1964, Ashton Cabinet, Ashton VSG, and Cohiba XV which I guess is gone now.  I just ordered a bunch of Warped even through I never tried them.

The forum seems to have a good set of rules and respectful discussion, and I want to learn more so I joined!  I look forward to looking around, reading, and improving my situation! 

Warmest regards to you all!

• Like 1

Welcome to the group. Distilled water is better to used than tap water. There can be impurities in tap water that can affect the cigars

Yes there are many many flaws with my old method. It may or may not have even been better than nothing. I have all cigars in Tupperware with bovidas now. Thinking of moving my pipe tobacco out to Tupperware with lower rh bovida too. Also thinking of adding bovida to the tobacco stand but I don’t think the tobacco stand is sealed tight enough. My whole house usually stays between 45 and 55 rh so it isn’t too dry here. I keep humidifiers running when it gets cold outside and the heat starts working overtime. I have read about tap water and mold and whatnot. Thanks for the advice njpinette.

• 2 weeks later...