Intel on new codes

Just now, Tstew75 said:

It will be really hard to confirm this, as all provincial codes are.

I will say in your favor that I've opened about 10 blind boxes of 2020 PSD4s, and 80% of them have been SOU.  UEB was used for a bunch of D4s in the past, and they always looked really, really good. I also had magical MSPEs from UEB in 17/18.

Yes I noticed on the PSD4/5/6. My methodology was as follows, I have a list of boxes with box codes from a vendor. I looked up all SOU boxes and noted the vitolas (21 vitolas found, including PSD4/D5/D6). Then I looked for all the box code for each of those vitolas in 2019 up until when SOU came around. UEB was the most prevalent. 13/21 were found under UEB previously in my list. The next most code is MSU at 6/21, but we know MSU->TUA so that's out. Next one ares are: ABO, TSM, UBM at 5/21.

Also looked at the reverse how many different vitolas there were under UEB in 2019, and what happened to those boxes. This also supported UEB->SOU (otherwise maybe UEB is making everything, so that is why it matched previously).

Also looked at the relative frequency of UEB and SOU and it looked about right, although maybe a little less SOU than expected compared to how frequent UEB was. Anyways given this data I'm confident UEB is the most likely.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think SOS has turned into BFD... At least for me! Oh... and LOL has definitely changed to WTF! Cheers! -Piggy

This is fairly thorough through 2014: ORIGINAL CUBAN FACTORY AND DATE CODES 1985 – 1998 Havana Factories - F?bricas de La Habana Ciudad de La Habana - Havana BM - Briones Montoto, former

Any code outside the big 4 (MAR, RAT, GEM, TUA) will be extremely hard to pinpoint, especially this early on after code shifts. Consider them all provincial unless you have a compelling argument

2 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Yes I noticed on the PSD4/5/6. My methodology was as follows, I have a list of boxes with box codes from a vendor. I looked up all SOU boxes and noted the vitolas (21 vitolas found, including PSD4/D5/D6). Then I looked for all the box code for each of those vitolas in 2019 up until when SOU came around. UEB was the most prevalent. 13/21 were found under UEB previously in my list. The next most code is MSU at 6/21, but we know MSU->TUA so that's out. Next one ares are: ABO, TSM, UBM at 5/21.

Also looked at the reverse how many different vitolas there were under UEB in 2019, and what happened to those boxes. This also supported UEB->SOU (otherwise maybe UEB is making everything, so that is why it matched previously).

Also looked at the relative frequency of UEB and SOU and it looked about right, although maybe a little less SOU than expected compared to how frequent UEB was. Anyways given this data I'm confident UEB is the most likely.

Nice work! 

Now if we just knew what factory that was ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Nice work! 

Now if we just knew what factory that was ?

An interesting project to unravel all the factory codes would be to carry out this sort of analysis that I did all the way back 20 years. Then the factory codes were not random but fixed. @El Presidente probably has the data in his files on box codes and vitolas. Otherwise if I had enough free time I could scrape the internet for box codes.

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

An interesting project to unravel all the factory codes would be to carry out this sort of analysis that I did all the way back 20 years. Then the factory codes were not random but fixed. @El Presidente probably has the data in his files on box codes and vitolas. Otherwise if I had enough free time I could scrape the internet for box codes.

Some more data for your unraveling project:

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/packaging/information#Factory_Codes

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Markspring1978 said:

Some more data for your unraveling project:

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/packaging/information#Factory_Codes

Thanks! Looking back at 2000-2003 codes it looks like you wouldn't be able to figure out exact factories. Sets of half a dozen codes were shared between two or three factories. Still would be interesting to do. At a minimum it would be nice to figure out the mother factory codes in the period 2003-2020.

15 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Thanks! Looking back at 2000-2003 codes it looks like you wouldn't be able to figure out exact factories. Sets of half a dozen codes were shared between two or three factories. Still would be interesting to do. At a minimum it would be nice to figure out the mother factory codes in the period 2003-2020.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Some tradition, some practical

... and out of necessity.

With the closing and continual swapping of localities, Havana city factories being down from about ten at the turn of the century to now a mere five, there isn’t much option to choose from really. More than „tradition“ it is their inability in long-term maintenance of value.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:09 PM, chuckpnoy said:

I wonder what determines which marca comes out of which factory (ie.  Partagas and Upmann vitolas coming from other “mother” factories)?

Historically, they initially all started out from their original places under their respective private ownership (bar Cohiba and later creations, for obvious reasons). That‘s why we find a bit of that still today. From then on, a slow but steady consolidation effect set in.

4 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

It will be really hard to confirm this, as all provincial codes are. Some lists mention UEB as a secondary Partagas factory code, but until it's proven otherwise I'm sticking to the old notion that there's only one mother factory code at a time.

I will say in your favor that I've opened about 10 blind boxes of 2020 PSD4s, and 80% of them have been SOU. They've been nice, but not gorgeous.  UEB was used for a bunch of D4s in the past, and they always looked really, really good. I also had magical MCPEs from UEB in 17/18.

If you want to find out what Partagas is, really the toughest option is it to look for D4s.... as one of the highest-volume production cigars they tend to be made all over the place.

For Partagas best check BPC or BCJ, or MdO4 (when they were in production), as these have always been Partagas-made.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I had a bunch of UEB ABR 18s with great flavor but the most unbelievably fireproof wrappers you can believe. Multiple boxes, all in 10s. 

All of mine were 25ct, mostly 17s & early 18s. I didn't come across any crazy wrappers that you describe!

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

If you want to find out what Partagas is, really the toughest option is it to look for D4s.... as one of the highest-volume production cigars they tend to be made all over the place.

For Partagas best check BPC or BCJ, or MdO4 (when they were in production), as these have always been Partagas-made.

Oh for sure, there's not many MSU/TUA D4s to be found. I hope I wasn't inferring that.

It's just interesting that FOH's own historical factory code list shows LMB, ETP, MSU, BUP & UEB as 17/18/19 Partagas codes. Hard to prove that any of those outside of MSU are actually Partagas.

2 hours ago, CigarZen said:

I noticed some RASCC with SOU code up for sale on 24:24.  I have bought these RA for many years and have always been made at Partagas, as I understand exclusively.  This may be a good indication ?

Looking at some currently avail codes for RASCC...MSU/TUA, EPM, LEP, LGB, OER, SOP, UMR. Def inconclusive, as they're rolled all over.

Now if we ever see a SOP code for RAS, that would be the kicker. I'm pretty sure they're only rolled at Partagas ?

6 hours ago, CigarZen said:

I noticed some RASCC with SOU code up for sale on 24:24.  I have bought these RA for many years and have always been made at Partagas, as I understand exclusively.  This may be a good indication ?

A large percentage of RASCC is rolled at Partagas but is pretty widely dispersed. Same with RASS. I've found most RAS is rolled at Partagas however. Almost all LGC, BPC, BCJ is Partagas. Very little BBF is Partagas and as I recall very little if any BCG was from Partagas in the final years of 14-16. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

A large percentage of RASCC is rolled at Partagas but is pretty widely dispersed. Same with RASS. I've found most RAS is rolled at Partagas however. Almost all LGC, BPC, BCJ is Partagas. Very little BBF is Partagas and as I recall very little if any BCG was from Partagas in the final years of 14-16. 

Interesting. — I must only pick those from known Partagas codes.  

Thanks for clarification.

22 hours ago, asmazda said:

Any idea what factory GEL code is?  I have March 2020 PSD4.

I was just searching for that too! I just received GEL July 2020 Esplendidos

23 hours ago, asmazda said:

Any idea what factory GEL code is?  I have March 2020 PSD4.

1 hour ago, Fezztone said:

I was just searching for that too! I just received GEL July 2020 Esplendidos

There's no real way to know, especially this early on. Chances are its provincial.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asmazda said:

Is the consensus that SOU = UEB box code?

The fact is no one will ever know this with certainty.  So many variables in non-mother-factory-code translations (IE, outside the BIG 4 codes). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...