Covid Vaccine. Your plans?

Covid Vaccine  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

What specifically taught in college cannot be learned on your own for free or near free online?  If you want to have your essays reviewed by a professor or TA, that can be done for very little per essay. 

Dr Nick Riviera learned open heart surgery on his own....

Tape Over GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cigar smokers talking about adverse health results of a vaccine ....  Only in 2020.  Can't wait for this dumpster fire of a year to be over. 

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.    

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is

11 hours ago, PigFish said:

How many of these subjects are worth sacrificing a dollar or four years of your life for???

There will be a quiz later!

-the Pig

Degree Programs & Majors | UCLA.pdf 567.57 kB · 4 downloads

Half of the programs are meant to send their students right into unemployement. No wonder the twitter warriors, the march rioters for absolutely no reason are getting bigger by the day.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:56 AM, clint said:

I work in the public school system and it seems that the most important topics today are CRT, Colonialism, and Sexual Politics.  I'm guessing it only continues into post secondary.  Don't you think that's worth going into massive amounts of debt for?

For a near lifetime of  student debt; for sure it is.  I want my Starbuck's Barrista to live in servitude of indoctrination for life.

23 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i presume i am missing something here. as a generalisation, sure, you learn a great deal when you are finally on the job, so to speak, but is the suggestion here that those wishing to be lawyers, accountants, scientists, doctors et al, don't really need to go to college, to finish courses, get degrees etc etc? surely this is not what is being said?

No, that is not what is being said.  Most of those professions, curriculum and certification are mandates.  College is meant for those truly aspiring for advanced education or specific vocations.

12 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Dr Nick Riviera learned open heart surgery on his own....

You cannot be a doctor without specific accreditation or schooling.  You're just trying to be fresh.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fosgate said:

I love listening to people put a lot of emphasis in college. I've got a coworker that went to law college, never took the bar and does the same job as me and looks at people without degrees as "Uneducated, morons, stupid" etc. Overall she's pretty closed minded, lacks critical thinking and a bit of a narcissist. Robert Kyosaki's book Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a book I wish I would have read when it first came out in 1997. The story he shares in there brings so much truth to it. I grew up in a small town with a graduating high school class of 25. A very close friend of mine dropped out when he was 16 much to the disdain of his parents, a father that was head air traffic controller, pilot and hobby auto builder, a mother who owned a fitness center. When he was 15 he worked a summer job in construction at a nearby paving company. And growing up working on a neighbors farm put him in control to run a heavy loader when the operator quit. At age 15 being in an important crew position that paid as much as many adults was like a drug. He came back and struggled with school as he didn't see the point taking advanced college classes. Operating heavy machinery is what he wanted to do. With some of the hazing he got from other adolescence, teachers etc for having this thought took it's toll and his parents finally caved. The paving company welcomed him with open arms in one condition, he at least get his GED. He knocked that out in no time and went to work full time. I lost contact over the years and he and his brother and I always maintained a bit of contact now and then. Last I saw him was about 5 years ago, he is now 3rd in charge of that now large paving company (one of the largest in the state). He holds down a nice house, family and shop full of expensive toys. Guy makes more than my graduating high school class combined present wages. All from a drop out. 

He is not unique in that manor. I stumble across people all the time that had no higher education, made crappy employees, but were/are great entrepreneurs that had the sight for opportunity and grab hold of it and enough sense to surround themselves with the right people. Another that comes to mind that I thought hilarious was a plumber. Plumbers are a shortage in my area and one I met made bank. I met him while working insurance property claims and settled a dispute he had for some hail damage with my company. I went to the house and it was easily a beautiful $1.5m mountain home (Avg new construction house is maybe $300k here). We got along really well as I see all the expensive toys in the garage and the house on a gorgeous wooded property.  I look at the house, at him, at the house, at him as I said, "A plumber? Really?" and he laughs, "I swear to god!" he laughs. "But, you don't have a pickup that looks like it's been driven until the wheels fell off and put back on 4 or 5 times, dirty coveralls or grubby jeans sporting the infamous plumbers crack." was the way the conversation went and he proceeded to tell me he works when he wants, the jobs he wants, how much the game has changed since the 70's & 80's with so many people not even owning tools let alone have basic knowledge to do any home plumbing repairs etc. He never went to college and worked for a plumber out of high school and when the guy retired he was in a position to purchase the company. (similar to a second plumbing supply owner I met and just sold the business and retired himself)

Fast forward about 6 months and I'm in a house with a home owner that was a real peach. I'm checking out water damage trying to find the source and the homeowner called a plumber and the one who shows up is my new found plumber friend. We could not find it for the life of us but we suspected it was behind a wall that the home owner didn't want to open up and the plumber doesn't pack an infrared camera (Water remediation companies in the area do). So while we are waiting for the homeowner to make another call and they just see the bill going up and not knowing if insurance will cover it etc. The homeowner just started making comments about "Uneducated trades" people not being intelligent and was being king of a dick trying to flaunt how much better off they are than us and we don't know anything. Of course his College degree in optometry hung in the room we were talking in his maybe $500k house. Both the plumber and I look at each other, the plaque with the degree, and back at each other. The plumber just says, "F&^k this, I don't need this job or have to take your sh#t!" turned and walked out getting into his van and drove off. The homeowner was just kind of slack jawed. I simply told him that he just pissed off someone that lives in a house worth 3 times as much as the one were standing in and makes more than me and him combined. With that I simply told him have the remediation company give me a call once they find the source and good luck finding another plumber. I never did hear back from them. 

Point is I reflect and could never understand when I was a kid my grandparents etc told me to find something I really like to do and just stick with it. Higher learning is not necessary "Better" learning or make someone more success or smarter. I had an uncle that could multiply two 7+ digit figures in his head and was a management head in some big mine with nothing more than a high school education. Mine was working fine but some higher up decided they should have some ivy league guy come and replace my uncle. 2 years later the mine closed & Sold due to mismanagement. Meanwhile my uncle moved on to become the biggest bookie in Denver making more than any doctor in that city. He was a numbers guy and loved working with numbers. 

On the opposite side, I have met several people that did capitalize well with their college degrees and several who have not. All depends on the persons ambition and critical thinking skills in the end. Degree might buy a ticket to the tryouts, but will not help you if your a dud in ambition. I have a BS degrees in Business and Public Health and looking back I should have just done the business degree. 

College, to me, trains people to work for others. Not everyone is meant to be a fine employee but make great entrepreneurs where they can express their creativity. I occasionally look at how my ex's daughter is doing. A lot of emphasis was placed on her by her mother on the importance of a degree as she was pressured constantly taking college level classes in high school and pursued an art degree. (she is one heck of an artist). She lacked social skills she could have developed when she was in high school by just being a kid. Of all things though, art degree, worthless. She graduated a couple years ago and moved to Florida with he boyfriend. Currently she works only part time for Sherwin Williams matching paint combinations for homes. I guarantee it will be a long time before that degree is paid for. I think that is part of the problem we see so much emphasis on people pursuing worthless degrees that will never pay for themselves. Art seems to be pushed so hard in high school and being special and creative. Then you send them off to college, get them in debt and then a low paying job that doesn't pay both the monthly basics let alone a student loan and/or they work for a company that does not allow the expression of creativity and just want the job done the way they say. 

In my humble opinion there are four categories that wander into each other should be presented to kids. College, Trade, Work for someone else, work for yourself. I have yet to meet a high school guidance counselor preach anything more than go to college or trade and work for someone else. 

This post is spot on. I never went to college and I own three businesses. I am in the process of selling the smaller ones for 1.8 million. Im 49 years old. The other two make more than that annually.

Pick something you love and figure out a way to monetize it. Do not be afraid of hard work. Do what you promised people you’re going to do, when you promise you will do it, don’t ever lie to anyone and you will be successful.

One of my businesses is dealing in high end offshore fishing boats. I have yet to see a buyer on that side that’s employed by someone else. Most are in the trades and run their own show or created their own business where they saw something missing .. 

college means zero anymore. Not sure it ever meant much to begin with. And yes college teaches you how to be an employee. for 30+ years society has told everyone the most expensive way was the only way. It was all a big lie. Unfortunately many believed it and continue to believe it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Foulhook said:

This post is spot on. I never went to college and I own three businesses. I am in the process of selling the smaller ones for 1.8 million. Im 49 years old. The other two make more than that annually.

Pick something you love and figure out a way to monetize it. Do not be afraid of hard work. Do what you promised people you’re going to do, when you promise you will do it, don’t ever lie to anyone and you will be successful.

One of my businesses is dealing in high end offshore fishing boats. I have yet to see a buyer on that side that’s employed by someone else. Most are in the trades and run their own show or created their own business where they saw something missing .. 

college means zero anymore. Not sure it ever meant much to begin with. And yes college teaches you how to be an employee. for 30+ years society has told everyone the most expensive way was the only way. It was all a big lie. Unfortunately many believed it and continue to believe it. 

I agree. 

I watch alot of Patrick Bet-David and Valuetainment. I liked his analogies on college and advise to high school grads. 

• Like 1

I think the most I've gotten out of this is just how dramatically unique the US is, not a negative just due to the mostly common language and culture the anglosphere shares you automatically assume that other parts of life will also be similar. I think you could pick up and plop down the average Ozzy, Brit, Canadian, NZ etc in each other's country and the only real difference would be accent. Lifestyle, humor, day to day expectations I think would pretty much be fairly (Worryingly) similar.

Common modern history isn't even particularly different. I'd hazard a guess that the difference seems to have began to widen at the start of the 20th century; arguments about frontier spirit in the US being the difference misses that the same spirit applies to Australia. Maybe it's how US society had to change when it took the superpower spot and the fall out from that? The societal change when the UK took that spot from Spain was just as big and the national fallout from that is still felt today

It's an interesting discussion I always enjoy thinking about. Funnily enough I think it's almost like a family issue, I think outside the anglosphere most countries struggle to grasp the shared bonds(and differences) and think we're absolutely bonkers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I think the most I've gotten out of this is just how dramatically unique the US is, not a negative just due to the mostly common language and culture the anglosphere shares you automatically assume that other parts of life will also be similar. I think you could pick up and plop down the average Ozzy, Brit, Canadian, NZ etc in each other's country and the only real difference would be accent. Lifestyle, humor, day to day expectations I think would pretty much be fairly (Worryingly) similar.

It's true. That's why we always get along so well in Havana and Aussies who come to work in Canada fit right in. 

• Like 2

I’m certain I’ve seen posts where we’ve shared books we are reading, documentaries we are watching, etc.  There is nothing wrong with learning, educating oneself, growing oneself beyond their specialty.  My degree is Political Science, hardly required for me to be successful in my field of Software Sales.  Still, I have no regrets from the experience of college.  It rounded me socially, philosophically, gave me the breadth of knowledge to challenge that status quo and think for myself. 

Generalizations make one seem very naive to a world beyond their own.  Blindly dismissing others life choices as stupid makes one seem like an ignorant donkey.  

Yes, the cost of university has become ghastly.  Which is why you see the shift away from it being required to be in the corporate world unless you started your own business.  Even then, you need a skill.  Skills are taught, learned, practiced.  Should one go college to be a plumber?  Of course not.  Should one go to become an IT Engineer?  Nope not really.  Unless you have the coding skills to create your own company and product though, you will need that degree to work on the business side.  

There’s nothing wrong with giving yourself as many options for yourself and your professional career as possible.  Especially for 18-19 year old kids who don’t know what the hell they are going to be in 4 years let alone 10 years time.  

BTW, this is a vaccine thread yeah?

• Like 4

So I've got the vaccine twice, felt no effect on the first one and got side effects on the second one. The second dose was pretty unpleasant but only felt it for a very short time, 24 hours at most. Given the choice between 24 hours or a month of sickness and tons of meds from Online Pharmacy, I think the choice is obvious here. I didn't get maimed or anything stupid like that. IMO, do what you want with your body, but there's 0 reason not to get the vaccine.

• 2 weeks later...

Antibody testing showed titre in the double digits 7 months after the second shot. Currently greater than upper limit (1000’s) titre level 2 months after booster. This is the Pfizer vaccine. Zero titre level from actual COVID as neither of us were infected. 

GET YOUR BOOSTER, FOLKS.

Antibody testing showed titre in the double digits 7 months after the second shot. Currently greater than upper limit (1000’s) titre level 2 months after booster. This is the Pfizer vaccine. Zero titre level from actual COVID as neither of us were infected. 

GET YOUR BOOSTER, FOLKS.

Mind breaking this down in layman’s terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Lord Verulam said:

Mind breaking this down in layman’s terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We received the Pfizer vaccine as customary with two initial shots.

7 months after the second dose we had testing done to see what level of PFIZER vaccine specific antibodies were produced and remaining. The level was in the  double digits.

We received the booster 1 month later.

2 months later we had more PFIZER vaccine specific antibody testing. The level was greater than the upper measurable limit.

Testing was performed each time to look for antibodies from the actual disease. We have zero COVID specific antibodies and have not been infected with actual COVID.

Antibody level does not predict severity of a breakthrough infection; A higher level of antibodies would mean a greater attack on infection in most cases. More is better idea.

Takeaway: The immunity from vaccination fades over time. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well after 2 years of being as careful as we could, my wife tested positive for COVID this week and has cold like symptoms.

I'm about to take a rapid test and no doubt I'll test positive although I feel fine.

Boosters were scheduled for next week, which was the earliest opportunity they became available. 

• Sad 6

I hope it's omicron, and you'll be fine. 

shitty time of the year to get it though. 

my unvaxxed/unboosted less-than-healthy wife caught omicron two weeks ago. She was feeling ill for a few days, but was back to normal within the same week she contracted it. She never lost her ability to smell/taste. If her employer wasn't testing daily, she likely wouldn't have known she caught it. Interestingly enough, I didn't catch it from her. (although I'm double vaxx'd)

However, there still some delta variant cases going around...and those ain't fun! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

My rapid test came back negative, go figure. My immune system with two vaccine doses is still undefeated. 

I had a rapid PCR test on October 31st with moderate symptoms that came back negative   (vaccinated 2nd dose Jan 14th) then a 3 min return time, off the charts positive on November 2nd. It was Delta and it kicked my butt being a moderately, healthy bmi/work out etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re just not high enough on the DNA/RNA viral load yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jfire said:

I had a rapid PCR test on October 31st with moderate symptoms that came back negative   (vaccinated 2nd dose Jan 14th) then a 3 min return time, off the charts positive on November 2nd. It was Delta and it kicked my butt being a moderately, healthy bmi/work out etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re just not high enough on the DNA/RNA viral load yet.

Well I'm told I need to test every 3 days while my wife is symptomatic so I'll check back Monday!

On 12/9/2021 at 5:52 AM, La_Tigre said:

Takeaway: The immunity from vaccination fades over time. 

all those numbers sound terrific (i think).

but fading? that is not uncommon with vaccines (not suggesting that you are indicating otherwise). tetanus needs to be redone every decade or so and no doubt many others - i am sure that some of the doctors on the site could explain this far better than i could. or correct this if i am wrong. 

flu shots are annual. if covid becomes an annual shot, is that really going to be surprising to anyone? 

On 12/25/2021 at 4:15 AM, Cigar Surgeon said:

My rapid test came back negative, go figure. My immune system with two vaccine doses is still undefeated. 

good news and best of luck for your wife.

our idiot muppets continue to handle this about as well as a blind man trying to pick up a cobra. 

sister was at the golf club last week. someone thought they had symptoms. so everyone had to be tested (fair enough) and self isolate for 72 hours till the results come back. when i was in hospital, took them 3 minutes. but this govt insists that over christmas, thousands must self isolate for 72 hours and miss families and gatherings (you can bet your life none of them would). so she and mum missed the traditional christmas eve family dinner but finally got the results - negative - and could come late to christmas day lunch. not that they had any idea this was coming. they have only had two years to prepare. but apparently there were a lot of tests. truly beyond stupid. 

i've put things on a hook to use as bait which have more intelligence than our premier and as for our dimwitted deputy, tree stumps look at him and question evolution. 

44 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

all those numbers sound terrific (i think).

but fading? that is not uncommon with vaccines (not suggesting that you are indicating otherwise). tetanus needs to be redone every decade or so and no doubt many others - i am sure that some of the doctors on the site could explain this far better than i could. or correct this if i am wrong. 

flu shots are annual. if covid becomes an annual shot, is that really going to be surprising to anyone? 

Ken, I know you’ve been to the U.S….

😉🤣

3 minutes ago, La_Tigre said:

Ken, I know you’ve been to the U.S….

😉🤣

yes, i should know better. 

doctor friend of mine talks about omricon being far less dangerous than the previous variations and he is hopeful it will just rush through the community causing far less damage, especially to those vaxxed. and then we can return to some sort of normality. but who knows. 

one just hopes that all friends and family stay safe. 

• Like 4

Normally my daughter and son in law come over in the 24th for Christmas dinner, stay overnight and leave mid afternoon on the 25th and then go to his Mom’s for Christmas dinner. They left last Sunday for a trip to Montreal and then to stop in Ottawa to spend a couple of days with his dad (who he hasn’t seen in two year) but got a call on Tuesday that he was around someone who tested positive before they went away. They cut there trip short, had a quick visit with his Dad on the driveway and then came home. Test for them both was Thursday but because they are so backlogged, they only got the results tonight. 
Good news is they both tested negative so they will come over tomorrow (26th) and we will have our Christmas then. Better late than never. 

• Like 3