Covid Vaccine. Your plans?

Covid Vaccine  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Once the Covid Vaccine is available, when do you plan to receive it?

• Immediately once I’m selected.
    • Wait a month and let others who need it go first.
    • Wait 3 to 6 months and see the data.
    • Never, this rushed vaccine has too much potential detriment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2021 at 05:59 AM

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cigar smokers talking about adverse health results of a vaccine ....  Only in 2020.  Can't wait for this dumpster fire of a year to be over. 

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.    

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is

13 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Any travel restrictions in regards to the unvaccinated remains to be seen.  If you think you’ve had it, you can get the antibody test done.  I did, it was quite easy, schedule it with you’re nearest lab doing them, quick poke in the arm to draw a bit of blood, took 7 min from my arrival to me leaving.  Depending on where you live you may need your doctor to order it for you but that be pretty simple as long as you have had symptoms at some point.  Just Google antibody tests in your area.  The rapid antibody tests have some margin of error, so I’d recommend you go to a lab that can do the Roche or Abbott tests properly, error rate on those is under 1%.  

Thanks mate.

35 minutes ago, GotaCohiba said:

US.    It’s been float around on local news channels about paying people up to $1500 to take the vaccine 

It’s usual for phase 1 studies in healthy volunteers to pay the study participants.  Depending on the difficulty to recruit (sometimes a specific patient population), participants in later stages, they might be compensated for their time as well.

1 hour ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I had not read that. 

what country? (I'm going to assume USA?)

Any links (I did google, but all I found was discussion in the summertime, but nothing more formal or recent than that)

Thanks,

It was being floated as a condition to receiving Covid relief/stimulus checks, but  I don’t think it received much of any traction. Great idea though, IMO, but the timing wouldn’t work out right.

8 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

Context is everything...

Sent by spooky action at a distance

I'm currently contracted out to a federal facility. We received the vaccines yesterday and they started vaccinating tier one high and moderate risk employees this morning. Filled out three pages of forms, got my first dose and had to sit around for 15 minutes after getting the injection to monitor for any immediate adverse effects. I didn't have any immediate symptoms. Soreness with overhead reaching started about four hours later, then tenderness around the injection site started about seven hours after the injection. Since then nothing new. I'm pretty healthy without any known medical conditions, so we'll see how things go. I did notice that my immunization card had the wrong date, so I changed it and I'm supposed to return on 1/6/21 for my second dose. I'll keep y'all updated.

@La_Tigre Looks like we got vaccines from the same batch. Hope you're doing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baccy said:

They absolutley DID turn up positive. Then it was determined to be a false positive...?‍♂️

Hey mate, thanks for originally posting about the failure of this vaccine trial, I'm not sure I would have heard about it otherwise. I definitely know what you're trying to convey here, but I think it warrants additional context because there is a difference between not expecting a positive HIV result (which later turns out to be a false) and knowing there's a possibility of false positives, but not expecting them to occur. In this case, it's the latter. From the NY Times:

The trouble that arose with the Australian vaccine, developed by the University of Queensland and the biotech company CSL, was related to its use of two fragments of a protein found in H.I.V.

The protein formed part of a molecular “clamp” that researchers placed on the spikes that surround the coronavirus and allow it to enter healthy cells. The clamp stabilizes the spikes, allowing the immune system to respond more effectively to the vaccine.

The use of the H.I.V. protein posed no risk of infecting the volunteers with that virus, the researchers said. But the clamp generated the production of antibodies recognized by H.I.V. tests at higher levels than the scientists had expected.

Because H.I.V. tests could not be rapidly re-engineered to account for this, the researchers decided to abandon development of the vaccine. Proceeding could have led to widespread anxiety among Australians that the vaccine could cause AIDS.

Science is fascinating!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Baccy said:

They absolutley DID turn up positive. Then it was determined to be a false positive...?‍♂️

Never mind ...

Suggest you read the explanation given above by fungi, maybe the coin drops ?

9 hours ago, sho671 said:

Filled out three pages of forms, got my first dose and had to sit around for 15 minutes after getting the injection to monitor for any immediate adverse effects. I didn't have any immediate symptoms. Soreness with overhead reaching started about four hours later, then tenderness around the injection site started about seven hours after the injection.

@La_Tigre Looks like we got vaccines from the same batch. Hope you're doing well.

We are doing well; hope things are good for you, too.

Soreness in our arms. At one point, my injection arm seemed to have a life of it’s own and started strangling a coworker......or at least that’s my story... ?

Seriously though, just mild soreness in the injection arm. My better half says her arm is much sorer after getting the flu shot. We both got it in our non-dominant arm for this concern. I’ve taken no acetaminophen so as to not mask any symptoms. Nothing to speak of here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nino said:

Never mind ...

Suggest you read the explanation given above by fungi, maybe the coin drops ?

You understand how it works right? They do an initial test, then they do a more sensitive test called a confirmatory test. That is all... It's pretty simple

...and I don't care to read anything from the New York Times?

11 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I had not read that. 

what country? (I'm going to assume USA?)

Any links (I did google, but all I found was discussion in the summertime, but nothing more formal or recent than that)

Thanks,

Bad idea to pay people to take the vaccine :

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/upshot/covid-vaccine-payment.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=879872805&algo=identity&variant=no-exp&imp_id=9577072&action=click&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

2 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

We are doing well; hope things are good for you, too.

Soreness in our arms. At one point, my injection arm seemed to have a life of it’s own and started strangling a coworker......or at least that’s my story... ?

Seriously though, just mild soreness in the injection arm. My better half says her arm is much sorer after getting the flu shot. We both got it in our non-dominant arm for this concern. I’ve taken no acetaminophen so as to not mask any symptoms. Nothing to speak of here.

I usually go with my non-dominant arm but I got an ISR after the flu shot this year so I decided to get it in the dominant side.

Some soreness still present this morning, but nothing else.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Lunettesman said:

I understand your point of view. And the example with the car is very relevant. 

However, one thing I never understood is this: vaccine protects you against disease X. So where is the problem if I'm not vaccinated? Just get the vaccine so I cannot transmit you the X diseases or don't get the vaccine and maybe get that diseases. 

In the case of the car example you make a good point because you cannot really protect yourself from a car that hits you because of a drunken driver. Howeverz you can vaccinate yourself and not getting the disease X from a sick person. 

Therefore I don't see the need to make it mandatory. 

sorry, been off the forum for a few days. i see we are hearing about employers who are saying no vaccination, no work. they want to protect everyone. i think that the weight of demand by govts, schools, employers, other countries and so on is going to make it near impossible not to get it. 

On 12/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, mprach024 said:

Any travel restrictions in regards to the unvaccinated remains to be seen.  If you think you’ve had it, you can get the antibody test done.  I did, it was quite easy, schedule it with you’re nearest lab doing them, quick poke in the arm to draw a bit of blood, took 7 min from my arrival to me leaving.  Depending on where you live you may need your doctor to order it for you but that be pretty simple as long as you have had symptoms at some point.  Just Google antibody tests in your area.  The rapid antibody tests have some margin of error, so I’d recommend you go to a lab that can do the Roche or Abbott tests properly, error rate on those is under 1%.  

while that may make some sense, good luck when you front up to a country somewhere else, which requires vaccination, and start telling them you don't need the evidence of a vaccination because of.... 

it will be turn around and go home, i suspect. 

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

while that may make some sense, good luck when you front up to a country somewhere else, which requires vaccination, and start telling them you don't need the evidence of a vaccination because of.... 

it will be turn around and go home, i suspect. 

Absolutely.   When they do that, that’s what I meant by “remains to seen”, have not heard of any restrictions yet by any country, but likely it’s coming. 

1 hour ago, mprach024 said:

Absolutely.   When they do that, that’s what I meant by “remains to seen”, have not heard of any restrictions yet by any country, but likely it’s coming. 

Already here. Check Israel.