Covid Vaccine. Your plans?

Covid Vaccine  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Once the Covid Vaccine is available, when do you plan to receive it?

• Immediately once I’m selected.
    • Wait a month and let others who need it go first.
    • Wait 3 to 6 months and see the data.
    • Never, this rushed vaccine has too much potential detriment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2021 at 05:59 AM

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cigar smokers talking about adverse health results of a vaccine ....  Only in 2020.  Can't wait for this dumpster fire of a year to be over. 

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.    

In a key sense, this is absolutely true: prevention and treatment are fundamentally different approaches to managing an epidemic. Invariably both are used whenever possible (e.g. STD's). A vaccine is

1 hour ago, Xavier_Dredo said:

I can’t wait to get the vaccine, hopefully in February. I’ m a Scientist at Pfizer and my coworkers and I couldn’t be more confident!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow. 

now there's a perspective. 

thanks for your hard work! 

• Like 2

I can’t wait to get the vaccine, hopefully in February. I’ m a Scientist at Pfizer and my coworkers and I couldn’t be more confident!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! Collegeville office? I’m interviewing there for a marketing gig. Great numbers for the vaccine coverage wise. Those numbers are not common in Vx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I was vaccinated today.  No issues with me, or anyone else at my hospital who has been vaccinated.

FF2649DD-8ACC-4697-839C-FEEE76C42BD3_1_201_a.jpeg.2b997231dd52c27079945a98dd2219d9.jpeg

3C1AFE6C-31FE-4BD7-ABAE-7B7EF623A01A_1_201_a.jpeg.62b69c6f2682778e995220d21cc2c779.jpeg

That's good to hear @SigmundChurchill! The possible first vaccination period in Korea will be between February and March (mostly for frotliners like doctors, etc for now).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dunhamrocco said:

My wife just got hers yesterday. Moderna. She's a social worker for the VA. She feels fine. Arm sore exactly as it is when she gets a flu shot. She'll get her second dose in a few weeks.

That's good to hear.  I was a little concerned with Moderna.  It is a higher dosage than Pfizer, with similar results.  I am always a proponent of using the lowest dose necessary to avoid side effects.  Not to scare anyone off the Moderna vaccine, because, like your wife, the vast majority won't have major side effects.  But it will be interesting to see if there is a difference, as the sample size gets larger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First off I'm nearly 50, pro vaccines, my mother spent 2 years of her high school years in a Tuberculosis Sanitarium nearly 400miles awawy from her family in the late 1950's early 60's. I grew up seeing people scarred from Polio and my grandfathers parents died of Spanish Flu after WW1 when he was just 10 and had to take over the responsiblity of raising his three younger siblings at the age of 16 after his four older brother and sisters went to raise families of their own. I also went back to college in 2010 and along with pursuit in my business degree I also majored in Public Health and worked in surgery as a sterilization tech. In my studies of Public Health I pursued Epidemiology and Biological pathogens whenever possible. My Fiance at the time was also the Public Relations voice for a large regional hospital to the public and public officials in the event of an outbreak. My continued focus on the Public Health side was research of Ebola it's strains and hemoragic pathogens to not only include viruses but also chemical agents like weaponized gases. My intention when I finished college was to ether go work for the CDC or use my military background to get into a civi contractor at base like "Fort Doom" Fort Detrick VA that has much of the biological warefare and hazardous bio research. Unfortunatly when I got out of college military contractors had nothing and CDC didn't have much available so I went back toward insurance in a different role than I had before. 

I remember at one time I was looking at PPE used in the early 80's during an Ebola outbreak and how when the CDC would leave all their PPE on the tarmac before they stepped onto the cargo plane to take them home but not before suiting up on the plane in fresh PPE and then burning that PPE when they got back on the ground in their home country. Also with working in surgery the precautions we took to control the environment and PPE levels we would use when cleaning and sterilizing instruments coming back from surgery. What PPE we could were there and the differnt PPE we would use to go up to an Antibiotic Resistant Tuberculosis or MRSA patient etc. I recall in class one day debating with a doctor that was a major researcher into Ebola and part of my paper was discussing PPE and it was mentioned early on that cloth over the face does work but he wanted us to quantify the claim and or find it's origins. I found the claim happened when researchers were in India there was particularly harsh outbreak of Dengue Fever in India, field researchers discovered that in a patch of outbreak there was a village that was noticably lesser infected numbers that the surrounding villages. When the went there they discovered that when the women would go do to the river to wash clothes and do their buisness they would double up a piece of cloth and wrap cover their face and wrap their heads with the cloth out of more tradition. When trying to figure out their numbers we could find absolutly zero figures or data gathered to quantify their claim. I was baffled as we discussed openly in class that we believed without being able to compile and quantify data in accordance to claim a scientific theory one should not be able to make such a claim. He was in agreement, but then he also then showed us data related to a completly different study and showed how diffreent Epidemiologist can and often do omit or include data to support their claim, skewed interst to the data due to the researcher, the financer etc. 

When this thing was taking off and nobody knew how lethal it was and very few people were taking it seriously. I was hoping that this thing didn't have a high lethality rate that would quickly spread and overwhelm the healthcare system as we watch our friends and family getting stacked outside hospitals like corkwood. I went back to my days of decontaminating myself from hazardous environments as I braced myself and my wife against it. 

That said. I am no "expert" ,but I have seen enough over my life, interacting with researchers, military tacticians and heard enough PR jargon come out of my ex's mouth to not take things at face value. This thing isn't Ebola Zaire or Sudan Strains lethality of 50-90&. This isn't even SARS level. I would get vaccinated for if one was available in a heartbeat. Or if there would have been a vaccine as quick as last Feb-March when we really didn't how lethal it was, I would have also gotten it then. I don't presently need to fly or comply with a vaccine to do my job or carry on with my regular public life. I've been out working as an essential worker this whole time (yeah, financial services is essential). So fortunatly I have no definitive need to take it. Not for the current mortality rate. Maybe by the time that I would need to, there will be more information on the long term side effects of the vaccine itself. For now though, there is no way I'm taking it. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

The link is a list of incidents with vaccines and it's enough for me to not want to be "the first kid on the block" so to speak. 

Edited by Fosgate
Inserted link
  • Thanks 2

Few reactions on my part.

They not only spoke in the US about paying people to get vaccinated. In Switzerland it has been a proposition: 1000chf (900$) to get the shot. 

I read a lot of opinions saying we should get the vaccine to protect people that cannot get it. Things that bothers me is when vaccine will be mendaroy to access community facilities, how will the people who cannot get the vaccine due to health problem will access those facilities?

Last but not least, it has been said in Switzerland that even if people get vaccinated, mask, social distancing and stuff like that will remind mendaroy. I don't see the point in the vaccine. 

In short, wish all the community well, with or without vaccin. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lunettesman said:

Few reactions on my part.

They not only spoke in the US about paying people to get vaccinated. In Switzerland it has been a proposition: 1000chf (900$) to get the shot. 

I read a lot of opinions saying we should get the vaccine to protect people that cannot get it. Things that bothers me is when vaccine will be mendaroy to access community facilities, how will the people who cannot get the vaccine due to health problem will access those facilities?

Last but not least, it has been said in Switzerland that even if people get vaccinated, mask, social distancing and stuff like that will remind mendaroy. I don't see the point in the vaccine. 

In short, wish all the community well, with or without vaccin. 

I have seen this so far in my area. Educated people I’m working with that must be reminded that the first dose in their arm does NOT mean they are free. Two weeks after the second shot is when you can start being more lax in protecting yourself. Once we have the majority vaccinated and/or the spread is negated, life will return to some normalcy. We will all still mask up in the meantime and maintain distance from others to protect them. I do not expect life to return to exactly the way it was before the pandemic. However, the point of the vaccine is to bridge us to that other side without the death toll continuing unabated.

We are due for round two in a week. No issues so far; no issues to report at our facility as well. 

• Like 2

Not thrilled to be an early adopter, I'm not frontline or essential, and since March I've been working from home. I can wait it out a bit longer and let those with greater risk go forth ahead of me.

Travel and leisure restrictions may weigh on my decision. I've already cancelled two major leisure travel plans, so I am owed substantial credits, which have expirations. I'm also anxious to visit family and getting back into the gym, which I am paying for and not using. 

• Like 1

Chiming in a bit late here, but I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Tuesday and had no issues beyond a very mild temp the following day. Was intermittent and not a hindrance. The day after that, I worked out and ran 4 miles. Felt great. Now looking forward to my booster in a couple of weeks.

I’m a per-diem pharmacist at a large hospital. We’ve vaccinated over 9,000 employees and patients with no major issues so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's going through the assisted living/hospice care facility my wife works at now. Couple months back they had one hospitalized but they came back a couple weeks later. About 2 weeks a couple within the assisted living and a staff member came down with it. Last Tuesday they started vaccinations but there have been 2 more staff and 3 more couples that have tested positive. Thankfully no one had needed higher medical attention, but they are thinking that the vaccine is too late for their facility but they are still going to continue administering the vaccine. 

Meanwhile I'm looking at stats and figures online everyday watching the administered count and looking for side effects etc. I know what some of the reports are is about a 3% adverse reaction needing medical attention. Sounds bad right? 3% advers reaction vs less than 1% of dying from the virus? I recall in my military service walking up to the medics one two sides while we walked through with our arms crossed as they hit us with injection guns on both sides and getting another solo shot aafter those two and walked into another room for the dreaded "peanut butter" shot to the ass that would leave us anable to sit for a few days. . Then a poke in the arm for a prick of tubercillan to test for TB. I remember two guys out of my 48 man platoon getting hauled off couple days later due to reactions from the TB test. Before and during the injections the staff would warn us not to look at the needles etc and there were always a couple guys sweating profusely due to their fear of needles. There was always someone hitting the deck after getting injected and eve one guy from my platoon fainted after the solo shot while looking and woke up to a drill seargent chewing his ass a few seconds later for not following instructions. Near the end of our advanced individual training after basic, troops were getting shots required for the countries they were getting stationed to. I was lucky getting Germany (as we all were that got Germany). The ones that got Panama we all felt sorry for as we passed by the tray of injections and we immdiatly noticed one particuarly freakishly large injection with a circus size needle attached to it. A guy i was friends with got it and said it was absolutly hell for about 3 days he could not move his arm and had a fever. He also said the other guys that got it were the same and had to go see a medic the following day for a checkup. I don't know what was in that cocktail but certaine I'd take 3 or 4 peanut butter shots to the ass instead. 

The while point of the story is don't always take a standard 3% adverse reaction requiring medical attention into play. Find out exactly what the adverse reaction is and break down the percentage within. Theres probably a few new boots in some military around the world, face down, ass in the air after taking his regular shots right now. Visit to the docs for 48 in my platoon left "adverse reactions" to 100% for a day or two with 3% requiring medical followup a few days later. So far I think the vaccine results are looking pretty good despite the fear some corporate media are trying to publish. . 

• Like 3

We have received the second round. No problems. We have had primarily minor reactions in our facilities with just a couple  of ER monitoring trips (“didn’t take her blood pressure medicine”, one with previous allergic reaction history to many things).

We must all still mask up to help prevent spread to others. This will be necessary for the immediate future but soon we will be in the clear again. ? 

• Like 1

My mother had her first Pfizer jab 2 weeks ago with no problems. Her next should be in a weeks time but there is a change here in the UK where due to lack of vaccines this may be extended from 3 weeks after the first to 12 weeks. I am not happy at all about this as all the research and trials were done with 2 doses 3 weeks apart not 12. While I understand the strategy to have more with 1 dose I'm not certain that this has been modeled properly and feel this is all being made up on the hoof. Can anyone with any knowledge pass on the thoughts of the effectiveness of only 1 vaccination?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Another random thing the UK is considering is mixing and matching the two doses of two different vaccines (one Pfizer and one moderna) at least I read that in some article...

US officials are saying that’s a bad idea.  Nobody knows for certain, US also toying with half doses, we’ll see how it all shakes out in next few months.  

2 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

US officials are saying that’s a bad idea.  Nobody knows for certain, US also toying with half doses, we’ll see how it all shakes out in next few months.  

At this point someone could suggest placebo vaccines and I wouldn't be surprised ?