Short winter smokes

I am now in the thick of winter and have started smoking smaller cigars. However even though I am generally a fast smoker when it comes to big cigars this doesn't seem to be the case for me for smaller cigars. Entreactos are 20 minutes minimum. Minutos 40+. The last Partagas shorts I had, had a loose draw and went 42 minutes. The last two perlas I have had have lasted 50 minutes. The last Petit Royales 42 minutes. Basically the only sub 40 minute long filler smokes for me are entreactos. Everything else is generally 40 minutes (maybe 35 minutes, and never under 30). Anyways wondering what everyone's experience is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Hoyo de Monterrey Depute hits the bill for me when I want a 30 minute cigar without rushing. 

Thanks! Yes in that general form factor HU Epicures and RyJ Sports Largos too (35RG vs 38RG though). I'd rank them 1. Depute, then 2. Sports Largos then 3. Epicures. I have some Bolivar Tubos no. 3 34RG but a bit longer. Though I feel like those are getting harder to source.

Yeah I get more out of minutos relative to size than larger smokes as well. I think my draw is much less intense with the smaller smokes to keep them from heating up, thusly they last longer. RASCC and Shorts have been a staple for me, but my new favorite short smokes are RyJ Petit Royales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok, this seems to confirm my view that there aren't many cigars in the sub 40 minutes or close to 30 minutes range, other than entreactos which are around 20 minutes.

Half coronas, perlas, Reyes, minutos all about 40 minutes.

Probably try a du depute today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

Ok, this seems to confirm my view that there aren't many cigars in the sub 40 minutes or close to 30 minutes range, other than entreactos which are around 20 minutes.

Half coronas, perlas, Reyes, minutos all about 40 minutes.

Probably try a du depute today.

Have you tried NC’s? My fav is AF Short story. They fit the 30 min mark with no rush. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Bolivar Petit Coronas have been stellar these past couple of years. I'm on my 5th box of 2019's...?

• Like 2

I usually switch back to some NC staples such as the Cracker Crumbs from Pete Johnson. They cost $2.50 a smoke and if I get too cold I pitch it, no biggie. Not too mention when I'm shivering I find it hard to concentrate on the subtle flavors of a Cuban. I kinda just want that Nicaraguan blast to warm me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:

what's the flavor profile on the BPC?  Never tried many bolis in general.

Boli is all about that dark malt, coffee, grain. Arguably the fullest bodied CC Marca.

I'm not personally a fan of Boli in general, but the boxes of MSU BPC & BCJ I've come across are spectacular looking & they smoke like little flavor bombs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Hollywood Ninja said:

Yeah I get more out of minutos relative to size than larger smokes as well. I think my draw is much less intense with the smaller smokes to keep them from heating up, thusly they last longer. RASCC and Shorts have been a staple for me, but my new favorite short smokes are RyJ Petit Royales.

Just smoked a Petit Royales. 50 minutes to the nub. Coldest temps so far this year -8 to -9C (17 to 16F).

On 12/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, PigFish said:

A great cigar will be finished. It demands it. I smoke cigars when I can respect the demand that it has on ‘our’ time. This is a factor that makes smoking a custom and not a habit.

Yes I have come to terms with this. I'm smoking perlas, minutos and half coronas, but they "need" 35-50 minutes. I can't bring myself to smoke half a cigar and the cigars demand the time.

I'll save the entreactos for when it gets cold ;)

• Like 2