Electronic payment advances in Cuba in commercial and gastronomy facilities

I am not sure if I can now buy a Coppelia Chic mint on Bitcoin or that they simply have an Eftpos device to take payment. :thinking:

Electronic payment advances in Cuba in commercial and gastronomy facilities

http://www.cadenagramonte.cu/english/show/articles/31767:electronic-payment-advances-in-cuba-in-commercial-and-gastronomy-facilities

1.jpg

Havana, Dec 23.- In the last year, Cuba has been inserted more rapidly in the process of development of electronic commerce, especially in the establishment of the QR code for payment from online platforms in various institutions of Internal Commerce.

Among these institutions, the Coppelia Ice Cream Shop in this capital stands out, where since last September in its field C the service has been charged through the EnZona platform, Amaury Martínez Tamayo, director of the entity, told Cubadebate.

In addition, in February 2020, the Ministry of Internal Commerce announced the use of magnetic cards as a payment instrument for the acquisition of products in stores that sell construction materials.

The implementation of the sale of construction materials through point-of-sale terminals is part of Resolution No. 25 of 2020 of the Ministry of Internal Trade, which regulates the economic organization of retail trade groups for sales through electronic payment.

Cuba has 313 stores for the sale of these materials, and at the end of October this year, 279 of these units have point of sale terminals installed, and it is estimated that 448 million pesos have been sold in this way.

These measures make it possible to reduce thefts in our units, the traceability of the transaction remains, and allow us to identify when a certain material has been sold to a person, for example, in excess, said Marpessa Portal, deputy director general of the Directorate General for the Sale of Goods of the Ministry of Internal Trade.

The most advanced territories are Artemisa, with 50% of sales through this route; Havana, with 51%; and Guantánamo, with 48%; while Villa Clara and Matanzas are the most critical provinces, with less than 20% of billings.

Another of the places of commerce where electronic payment has been implemented are the 17 MERCABAL stores, which provide wholesale trade services. Of these units, ten have available payment by QR code (evolution of the barcode), and in all of them it is possible to invoice through POS, and their sales are in the order of 110 million pesos.

The provinces of Pinar del Río, Matanzas, Havana, Ciego de Ávila, Granma, Camagüey and Guantánamo have implemented electronic payment in state gastronomy units; as well as in complexes in Matanzas, such as Cuevas de Bellamar, and in Villa Clara, the Somos Jóvenes and El Gobernador unit.

Even though there are multiple examples that can illustrate the move to a more digital and less analog commerce in the country, the nation is still a long way from exploiting all the existing potential for these activities, warns Cubadebate

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

These measures make it possible to reduce thefts in our units, the traceability of the transaction remains, and allow us to identify when a certain material has been sold to a person, for example, in excess, said Marpessa Portal, deputy director general of the Directorate General for the Sale of Goods of the Ministry of Internal Trade.

This makes me chuckle each time I read it. 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 1:50 AM, El Presidente said:

I am not sure if I can now buy a Coppelia Chic mint on Bitcoin or that they simply have an Eftpos device to take payment. :thinking:

Even though there are multiple examples that can illustrate the move to a more digital and less analog commerce in the country, the nation is still a long way from exploiting all the existing potential for these activities, warns Cubadebate

No, you can't Boss ?

Yes, the nation is still a long way away ... from exploding ?

• 4 months later...

Digitalization of trade is a good thing if government interventions aren't involved. Unfortunately, I doubt that government officials in Cuba care about the protection of consumers. They want to control everything. My best friend has lived in Havana for 14 years, and he doesn't believe that their political situation has significantly changed. Yes, the government tries to implement some market reforms, but the process goes too slowly. Still, some Cuban companies use digital protection soft like https://covery.ai/products/ethoca-chargeback-prevention to change the situation. Free market solutions are the best, and the government isn't that necessary, IMHO.