Happy New Year FOH:

19 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Me too.  I used to have most of those same tickets.  The tie dye one was my favorite ticket.  If I remember correctly, that is the year Bill Graham came down on the giant egg, as Father Time?  

Hard to remember that far back, lol, 30 years ago, though Bill Graham was Father Time every New Years.  I hated they would resell the tickets at the Oakland Auditorium, so they wouldn't give you the ticket stub when you entered.  Made for VERY crowded shows too, but so great to be there back in the day!  Just re-watched the Closing of Winterland 78-79 with a 19 minute Not Fade Away with John Cipollina, just great music.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Bret

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Reverb said:

Hard to remember that far back, lol, 30 years ago, though Bill Graham was Father Time every New Years.  I hated they would resell the tickets at the Oakland Auditorium, so they wouldn't give you the ticket stub when you entered.  Made for VERY crowded shows too, but so great to be there back in the day!  Just re-watched the Closing of Winterland 78-79 with a 19 minute Not Fade Away with John Cipollina, just great music.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Bret

Was he Father Time every year?  He came down out of the sky at midnight every year, but I remember it being a different theme each year.  I vaguely remember him coming out of the sky, in a giant, lit joint one year.  Then the year with the egg, he was Father Time, and Baby New Year hatched from the egg.  

Closing of Winterland was before my time.  I was only 10.  But I have heard the tapes.  Amazing stuff.

7 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Was he Father Time every year?  He came down out of the sky at midnight every year, but I remember it being a different theme each year.  I vaguely remember him coming out of the sky, in a giant, lit joint one year.  Then the year with the egg, he was Father Time, and Baby New Year hatched from the egg.  

Closing of Winterland was before my time.  I was only 10.  But I have heard the tapes.  Amazing stuff.

Yeah, pretty much.  Over the years, Bill rode in over the crowd on that massive joint, a magic mushroom, a lightning bolt, a huge birthday cake celebrating the Grateful Dead’s twentieth anniversary, a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge, and a giant mirror ball.  I was 18 for that '78 show, I remember listening the the simulcast on KSAN radio and watching the PBS show live -- I couldn't get tickets, but my buddy went.

Happy New year from Dana and I. We are spending it with Dana’s sister in San Diego. We’re hoping that we get to see some of you this year once travel opens a bit.

• Like 1