Much Missed. Dip 4.

Much missed indeed. Dip 4 were my favourite PC until HSA deleted it. I would be all in for its comeback. Where do I sign up??!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

Well, they had their chance - and what did they come up with?

Due for another. It would actually be the first Marevas ER although they've had four Minutos releases, so why not? 

Luckily, it seems the Dip ERs tend to be quite good. 

4 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Having a pyramid as the only vitola left in the marca is lame.

Indeed it is. It's pretty clear at this point they're going to use Dip, LGC and SLR as "ER" brands.

I'm past figuring out why HSA does what it does. Taking a marca down to one model seems like the dumbest thing possible but what do I know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Due for another. It would actually be the first Marevas ER although they've had four Minutos releases, so why not? 

Oh, I‘d be all for it. Provided decent pricing. Which I, frankly, don’t see for PCC. I can only hope the idea transmits to Tabacalera, Cubacigar, 5th Ave or even Diadema..... :lol3:

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm past figuring out why HSA does what it does. Taking a marca down to one model seems like the dumbest thing possible but what do I know.

Sales! Oh, they would axe all of them, were it not for legal reasons of trademark protection. They have to use the brand, so need to keep at least one vitola or don’t let production gaps become too long.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Oh, I‘d be all for it. Provided decent pricing. Which I, frankly, don’t see for PCC. I can only hope the idea transmits to Tabacalera, Cubacigar, 5th Ave or even Diadema.....

PCC has had a run of prices on the high end. The last reasonable one was the LFDC Grandiosos, and that was a while ago. Unfortunately, the leading voice on a Dip Marevas or even Coronas would be Rob, and that's going to be PCC. 

44 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Oh, they would axe all of them

Are you suggesting they'd kill every non-global marca if they could? 

I am not suggesting anything (heaven forbid ?). But they currently don’t make the money with them that they do with other, more popular brands. That comes by nature of a ‚niche‘ brand within a large multi-national company. Question is whether they really care for and appreciate the „niche-smoker“. At the moment, seems not.

37 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Are you suggesting they'd kill every non-global marca if they could? 

H Upmann was 2 or 3% of sales until recently. Might still be that way. They could afford to kill everything except Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta and Trinidad. H Upmann and Hoyo would be next then JLP and Quintero, by market value, all these likely single digit percentages.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

PCC has had a run of prices on the high end. The last reasonable one was the LFDC Grandiosos, and that was a while ago. 

Paying upfront for a product that will be 18 months late and delivered over 2 years requires a gold minted high ROI winner to make any sense.

50 cabs of Dip 4 would roll in around $800 I would suspect

LGC 109 in 25s roughly the same price.

Pitching to the Asian market, which is the more likely market home run?

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, El Presidente said:

Much Missed. 

I would be happy to fund production of Dip 4's for HSA in 50's and 25's. 

Saw this one come across Bond Roberts yesterday. I am not sure there is a more missed cigar. ?

Diplomatico 4

e4b317d2ce6225393048f7ae014d4775440d5aba

What made these better than any of the other Marevas? And what was the flavor profile? Is there any cigar that has a similar flavor?

7 hours ago, NYgarman said:

What made these better than any of the other Marevas? And what was the flavor profile? Is there any cigar that has a similar flavor?

I guess for me the short answer to that is no, I have not found another cigar with a similar profile. They certainly do have elements of both Montecristo with cream and coffee notes, plus Partagas notes, hints of sweet bell pepper and loads of sweet cinnamon/nutmeg/clove spices. These primary notes are over a deeper, more pronounced toasted tobacco spine. There is something else in good Dip 4 that I have been chasing and not found in other cigars. I describe it as a tree sap, resin type flavour, but that isn't an adequate description. I have variously described it before as almost like burning solder rosin, but nice. For the Aussies out there, who can remember burning/smoldering dried out fallen leaves in their backyards from Aussie hardwood trees with a magnifying glass under the sun? That lovely piney sappy woody aroma from the smoke is also close to describing it.  I have also heard it described as an amber flavour before. If I recall they were usually medium bodied throughout with a nice oomph at the end.. I really do miss Dip4!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, Bijan said:

H Upmann was 2 or 3% of sales until recently. Might still be that way. They could afford to kill everything except Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta and Trinidad. H Upmann and Hoyo would be next then JLP and Quintero, by market value, all these likely single digit percentages.

I know HU and Hoyo are by far the lowest-selling Global Brands but I'm skeptical they'd kill them if not for legal reasons. Obviously, the world wouldn't miss SLR or SP and they're hanging on but I doubt they would kill Bolivar or RA even though market share for them is very low.

You've also got the issue of certain leaf being dedicated to those brands, e.g. you can't use Bolivar leaf in Fonseca. Like it or not, certain leaf must be used in certain blends in certain brands--another reason to keep low-volume brands alive. They're going to have that leaf whether they like it or not and it can't be used in other brands. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I know HU and Hoyo are by far the lowest-selling Global Brands but I'm skeptical they'd kill them if not for legal reasons. Obviously, the world wouldn't miss SLR or SP and they're hanging on but I doubt they would kill Bolivar or RA even though market share for them is very low.

I think this is an interesting question that CCW kind of answers.

They have the global brands: Cohiba, Upmann, Hoyo, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta.

All safe.

Then you have the value brands:

Bolivar, Punch, Ramon Allones, Trinidad.

Also safe.

The volume brands:

JLP, Quintero, vegueros. Such large volumes especially JLP they're probably ok.

Everything else I could see disappearing in regular production and maybe only kept for special releases:

Cuaba, Diplomaticos, el rey del Mundo, Fonseca, Juan Lopez, la Flor de Cano, la Gloria Cubana, por Larranaga, quai d'Orsay, Rafael Gonzalez, saint Luis Rey, San Cristobal de la Habana, Sancho Panza, Vegas robaina.

Some safer than others (quai d'Orsay post reboot) but la Gloria Cubana and Sancho Panza practically gone from regular production already.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I guess for me the short answer to that is no, I have not found another cigar with a similar profile. They certainly do have elements of both Montecristo with cream and coffee notes, plus Partagas notes, hints of sweet bell pepper and loads of sweet cinnamon/nutmeg/clove spices. These primary notes are over a deeper, more pronounced toasted tobacco spine. There is something else in good Dip 4 that I have been chasing and not found in other cigars. I describe it as a tree sap, resin type flavour, but that isn't an adequate description. I have variously described it before as almost like burning solder rosin, but nice. For the Aussies out there, who can remember burning/smoldering dried out fallen leaves in their backyards from Aussie hardwood trees with a magnifying glass under the sun? That lovely piney sappy woody aroma from the smoke is also close to describing it.  I have also heard it described as an amber flavour before. If I recall they were usually medium bodied throughout with a nice oomph at the end.. I really do miss Dip4!

I was gifted a Dip #3 from a member here and it was certainly a unique flavor profile. Oriental or Indian spices was the impression that came to mind. 

• Like 3