ST Dupont Ligne 2 flame setup

I just got a 'new to me' Ligne 2 lighter and haven't really used it to light my sticks but previous go-to lighter was a Dunhill Rollasgas.  This may be a stupid question but how does the flame on the Dupont work like?  Is it fixed or does it lower due to usage of gas?

For example a Bic lighter is fixed.  The flame height will always be the same until empty.  Does the Dupont work this way or does the flame get smaller with more usage even after setting a preferred height.

21 minutes ago, RDB said:

It’s pretty consistent until the gas runs out. It’s also easy to adjust via the flip-out knob on the bottom.

Congratulations on owning the most beautiful lighter of all time.

Thank you.  

I haven't used it much but it has lit up a Cohiba ESP, Davidoff Year of Ox and Davidoff Royal Salomones in its one month with me.  So far in the new year I have used my cheaper torches due to weather.

Looking forward to see how it will hold up as I'm a soft flame guy.  The torch is single flame usually for touch ups. 

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

As the gaskets wear the flame height get more inconsistent.  Do you have the dual flame tip?

Just a single flame.  So far it feels like the lighter will run out of juice during my toasting process.  Not sure if gaskets need to be changed or these guys just don’t have a big tank for my routine. 

8 hours ago, mbpenguin said:

Just a single flame.  So far it feels like the lighter will run out of juice during my toasting process.  Not sure if gaskets need to be changed or these guys just don’t have a big tank for my routine. 

That sounds like a gasket issue and they dry out kind of fast.  If you send in for service, you can change it to a dual flame. 

Are you using the Dupont canisters to fill or a conversion coupling and traditional lighter fluid?

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That sounds like a gasket issue and they dry out kind of fast.  If you send in for service, you can change it to a dual flame. 

Are you using the Dupont canisters to fill or a conversion coupling and traditional lighter fluid?

I’m using an adapter to fill it and the adapter helps tremendously compared to the Xikar butane that has 5 different inserts and one being DuPont. The holes on the plastic doesn’t fit correctly but the adapter does.  I bought it 2nd hand because the last thing I need is to baby and care for another item in my pocket. 

11 hours ago, mbpenguin said:

I’m using an adapter to fill it and the adapter helps tremendously compared to the Xikar butane that has 5 different inserts and one being DuPont. The holes on the plastic doesn’t fit correctly but the adapter does.  I bought it 2nd hand because the last thing I need is to baby and care for another item in my pocket. 

The adapter I bought lets out a lot of gas as it unscrews.  The OEM cannisters do not.  Considering the price difference, the loss of gas is probably worth it.

I personally think that the cost of Dupont fuel is a non-issue. I use Dupont fuel.

Like all liquid to gas conversion lighters, heat helps the phase change. To fill the lighter, I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes, and I hold the fuel bottle in my hand to warm it up. This will get you a better fill. As any lighter body cools from the change of liquid gas to vapor, holding the lighter in your hand for extended burns will help keep it warm and keep the flame from growing shorter.

Bic lighters are plastic. They force you grasp the lighter in your hand heating it to use it. They require a constant human interface to deliver fuel, generally warming fuel and the lighter as you use it. A Dupont does not.

Look to the simple physical issues before moving on. Just my humble opinion!

-the Pig