Cuban Hoyo Primaveras Year of The Ox

Had a few Year of the Rat last year and they were excellent - hoped to get more but  .... Rona got in the way.

Can only say good words about them.

Year of the Ox - No idea, that year hasn't started yet ?

• Thanks 1

The RyJ Maravillas 8 was generally not very well-received. In fact @nino's is actually the first positive report I've seen. I personally haven't had one and at that price I almost certainly won't. They are still available and being discounted all the time with the price creeping down around $50/stick from originally $80+. I would not consider it a successful release.

I think these Zodiac releases miss the mark, particularly on price. Unfortunately, it appears they've boxed themselves in and are going to have to run through the entire zodiac before these die. The quality of these cigars is going to have to go way up or the price come way down. I also think 8,888 boxes is quite high for any "collectible" release. I'm not aware that there was any stated production number on the RyJ Maravillas 8s but 8,888 is an awful lot of boxes at these price points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think they would have done a lot better with the 8,888 boxes at a better price point. Collect all twelve! I have never had a cigar worth $80 right out of the gate...

My tuppence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Unfortunately, it appears they've boxed themselves in and are going to have to run through the entire zodiac before these die

As someone who initially bought a couple of boxes of the Ano Del Cerdo. I agree with you.  it's seemingly been a failure.....but only really because they didn't release the cigars in unique sizes. Cigar smokers are nervous types and the creeping fear,  that releases may just be seen a re-boxing of standard issue cigars is rife. it's a mistake. 

All this said, nothing could be more potent to the value of this series of cigars, if they were cancelled halfway through their production.   If it completes to be a full zodiac then great,   but good god, if it's incomplete then watch out!!!!   if it's anything like the minting of coins, or printing of notes, if the zodiac gets cancelled halfway through........I predict a short period of calm, then slowly but surely prices go bonkers. 

Yes, it wont make sense, but that increasingly seems to be the way of the world

and the final absurdity, after the price, is that most of these will get smoked up in the first year of their lives.

and some will get flipped, at an even more ridiculous price.

conspicuous consumption at its zenith...........

15 minutes ago, 99call said:

...I agree with you.  it's seemingly been a failure.....but only really because they didn't release the cigars in unique sizes.

Well, they seem to have solved that problem. Even so, the cigars aren't that great, the number made is too high. If they had just done 888 they would have sold them all and at a higher price. 

10 hours ago, 99call said:

As someone who initially bought a couple of boxes of the Ano Del Cerdo. I agree with you.  it's seemingly been a failure.....but only really because they didn't release the cigars in unique sizes. Cigar smokers are nervous types and the creeping fear,  that releases may just be seen a re-boxing of standard issue cigars is rife. it's a mistake. 

All this said, nothing could be more potent to the value of this series of cigars, if they were cancelled halfway through their production.   If it completes to be a full zodiac then great,   but good god, if it's incomplete then watch out!!!!   if it's anything like the minting of coins, or printing of notes, if the zodiac gets cancelled halfway through........I predict a short period of calm, then slowly but surely prices go bonkers. 

Also, think about the crazy prices the 12th boxes might go for to complete the set.

14 hours ago, 99call said:

"Cigar smokers are nervous types and the creeping fear,  that releases may just be seen a re-boxing of standard issue cigars is rife."

When I think of releases like this, my thoughts are exactly that... 'these are just reg prod stuck in an expensive looking box' ?

32 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

"Cigar smokers are nervous types and the creeping fear,  that releases may just be seen a re-boxing of standard issue cigars is rife."

When I see the crazy priced smokes, I just keep thinking about how many regular production outstanding cigars I could have for the price of one of these "special" smokes.   It is a marginal utility issue.   Is this smoke three or four times as good as a SW, six or seven times as good as a HU46 or Connie 1?

The question answers itself--particularly when the reviews on-line indicate they have zero additional marginal utility over regular production--at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairo said:

When I see the crazy priced smokes, I just keep thinking about how many regular production outstanding cigars I could have for the price of one of these "special" smokes.   It is a marginal utility issue.   Is this smoke three or four times as good as a SW, six or seven times as good as a HU46 or Connie 1?

The question answers itself--particularly when the reviews on-line indicate they have zero additional marginal utility over regular production--at best.

The hilarious thing is all they would have to say in that they're a 'special blend'...people would go ape shit & buy them all @ elevated prices. THAT'S IT. 

On 1/9/2021 at 3:10 AM, Carrie Nation said:

El Prez you getting these this year?  Anyone had  the Year of the Rat from last year?

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/cuban-hoyo-primaveras-launching-virtually-in-hong-kong

We will.

Eventually ?

The fact that so many successful operators do a zodiac release shows how big the market is.

They just need to get the whole package right. 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, nino said:

Had a few Year of the Rat last year and they were excellent - hoped to get more but  .... Rona got in the way.

Can only say good words about them.

Year of the Ox - No idea, that year hasn't started yet ?

They are excellent. I smoked one on New Years. They are aging very well. Definitely top 5 cigar for the year. Construction was perfection. 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:42 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

The RyJ Maravillas 8 was generally not very well-received. In fact @nino's is actually the first positive report I've seen. I personally haven't had one and at that price I almost certainly won't. They are still available and being discounted all the time with the price creeping down around $50/stick from originally $80+. I would not consider it a successful release.

I think these Zodiac releases miss the mark, particularly on price. Unfortunately, it appears they've boxed themselves in and are going to have to run through the entire zodiac before these die. The quality of these cigars is going to have to go way up or the price come way down. I also think 8,888 boxes is quite high for any "collectible" release. I'm not aware that there was any stated production number on the RyJ Maravillas 8s but 8,888 is an awful lot of boxes at these price points.

All I can say is that the RyJ YoR’s  that I have are absolute top notch cigars. I’m not smoking through multiple boxes of these for obvious reasons, so I’m not sure how other boxes are smoking, but mine are excellent. Almost worth the $$. 

• Thanks 1