Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I don’t think these are a $9.00 pc by themselves, but you do get the totally awesome tin

I see you took the HSA sales job. :jester:

In all seriousness, it's a shame these Retros aren't that good. No excuse. They're able to execute on the Shorts year in and year out but can't put real effort into a Marevas that's double the price? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I see you took the HSA sales job. :jester:

In all seriousness, it's a shame these Retros aren't that good. No excuse. They're able to execute on the Shorts year in and year out but can't put real effort into a Marevas that's double the price? 

I dunno. I think they are pretty good. Like I said, they took quite a beating on their journey. I’d rather have a short, but if you offer me one on these, I’d be perfectly happy smoking it. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I dunno. I think they are pretty good. Like I said, they took quite a beating on their journey. I’d rather have a short, but if you offer me one on these, I’d be perfectly happy smoking it. ?

I reach for these quite often of late. Mind you we were on vacation and visiting friends family over the break so a tin of these work perfectly to smoke and hand out. 

They are good solid cigars.  I would be happier if I could refill the tin cheaply :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

They are good solid cigars.  I would be happier if I could refill the tin cheaply :D

Well then go for the Regalias tin. You can trade the good solid cigars for the refillable tin ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I reach for these quite often of late. Mind you we were on vacation and visiting friends family over the break so a tin of these work perfectly to smoke and hand out. 

They are good solid cigars.  I would be happier if I could refill the tin cheaply :D

Would you consider them better quality than the Shorts? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Would you consider them better quality than the Shorts? 

Different to the Shorts. 

I have had many great shorts, mostly good shorts, plenty of  average shorts and my share of dud shorts. 

I don't think I will hit too many great Partagas Capitols but from what I have had so far, they have been good. 

Sometimes you just want a Partagas mareva :cigar:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
I see you took the HSA sales job. :jester:
In all seriousness, it's a shame these Retros aren't that good. No excuse. They're able to execute on the Shorts year in and year out but can't put real effort into a Marevas that's double the price? 

I feel we should wait at least 2 years before judging them. IMO, cigars needs to age for a while, especially Cubans (compared to NC).
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Different to the Shorts. 

I have had many great shorts, mostly good shorts, plenty of  average shorts and my share of dud shorts. 

I don't think I will hit too many great Partagas Capitols but from what I have had so far, they have been good. 

Sometimes you just want a Partagas mareva :cigar:

It's a good point. I had a Partagas 8-9-8 on Monday and coincidentally a Partagas Capitols yesterday. The Capitols is not in the 8-9-8 class obviously but they are solid.

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Well, there's very few CCs I wouldn't be happy smoking if handed to me. Unfortunately, I have cheap friends so I have to buy my cigars, and at $8-9 each I need a reason not to buy $5 PLPC, BPC or $6 Monte 4. If I need that Partagas taste, the Shorts work just fine. 

In terms of marevas the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas, Bolivar Petit Coronas and Montecristo No.4 are 'go-to' cigars, as is the Partagas Shorts for minutos. I know, the price point is a factor (in acting as a deterrent for repeat acquisition) in regards to the Partagas Capitols but as a 'change-of-pace' cigar, when one would like to opt for it in the Partagas marca, then the Capitols is not a bad choice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JohnS said:

in regards to the Partagas Capitols but as a 'change-of-pace' cigar, when one would like to opt for it in the Partagas marca, then the Capitols is not a bad choice.

I think I've drawn the information out that I was looking for. The Capitols is on par with every other regular production Marevas for twice the price. I just find that unacceptable on a pure value basis. Obviously, people can buy and smoke what they like. On principle, I'm simply not going to give HSA twice the money for a cigar comparable to the rest. 

And it's a shame because I can totally be on board for a change-of-pace Party Marevas. If these were comparably priced I might very likely buy them. But they've priced this pretty much out of anyone's long-term rotation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

And it's a shame because I can totally be on board for a change-of-pace Party Marevas. If these were comparably priced I might very likely buy them. But they've priced this pretty much out of anyone's long-term rotation.

Hard to argue your point. Again, for me, it was the kitschy packaging that interested me. When the tins are empty, they will go on the top of my humidor cabinet. Tonight, I’m doing the R&J Club Kings. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up 5 tins a couple of months ago. I had not tried a Capitols before. After 30 days rest I gave one a try and was pleased. It was Partagas, but different, if that makes any sense. The sticks in the tin that I opened were all well constructed and the burn was flawless on the  3 that I have smoked. They won't replace any of my regular rotation in this and similar vitolas, particularly at their price point; but I will pick up some more the next time they come up. 

@Chas.Alpha I did not pick up on any licorice notes. I do think that some age will be kind to these.

Big Al 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Toast & Taste said:

@Chas.Alpha I did not pick up on any licorice notes. I do think that some age will be kind to these.

Big Al 

Like I said, I also found that in the 2019 Lusitania. Strange, I’ve been smoking them for many years and never had that before... ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review.   I really do need to crack open both of these cigars and try one.  I knew they were overpriced but wanted to try them because of the size and also wanted the tins.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best part is that HSA has finally introduced 2 new Marevas (rather than taking them away). However, due to the horrible value I can't imagine they will sell well once the initial interest in the tin wears off. I feel this will only lead to HSA saying, "see there is not interest in Marevas, lets pull em." Meanwhile we should be seeing the reintroduction of Marevas to almost every Marca. ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, djrey said:Meanwhile we should be seeing the reintroduction of Marevas to almost every Marca. ?

I would buy these in a 25 box to be sure. The R&J club Kings I would certainly be interested in a 25 box or 50 cab!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I would buy these in a 25 box to be sure. The R&J club Kings I would certainly be interested in a 25 box or 50 cab!

I haven't smoked any but based on the size, I would too. But they’d have to fall into BPC, PLPC, Monte 4 etc prices first.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, djrey said:

I haven't smoked any but based on the size, I would too. But they’d have to fall into BPC, PLPC, Monte 4 etc prices first.

This. Just too overpriced for me to pull the trigger atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.