Cigar Aging

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I'm in the "aging is overrated" camp, with one exception: Cohiba.  I have found that uniformly 5-10 on Cohiba seem to smoke better.  Although I agree with the venerable maxim that age doesn't turn a turd into a gem, I'm not convinced the discussion of age amounts to much.         

As stated earlier, it seems that product out of Cuba today doesn’t have the same aging characteristics that the leaf and vitolas of old. But man, a Punch Super Selection 1, or a Bolivar Coronas Extra are SO much different with age.

That being said, I think most would agree that a PLPC or a Party 898 are a completely different cigar after 5 years. 

• Like 2

I remember in 2010-2012 and on that some people said aging those years productions was going to be useless. They kind of implied the same thing about older stock being much better. I’ve had a bunch of stuff from those years, and they’ve aged fantastically. Doesn’t matter what it’s been. Cohiba especially has aged well, but so have Trinis, HUs, and just about everything else. Only thing I didn’t love was the RA. Just not a fan.

• Like 2

To my palate, as a general rule, cigars get better with age.  Age allows flavors to shine through without the edge or tannins that mask the flavor.

PSD4s are the expectation.  Those are better young.  Aged PSD4s seem to get floral notes I would rather not see in a Partagas. I prefer the earthy peppery power in this stick.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, CigarZen said:

I agree that mild cigars aren’t necessarily poor aging candidates.  In particular HU2s were infamously mild when young and in my experience gained both flavor and power with age.  Boxes I have start getting good, to my palate, at about 8 years.   01s that were flat are smooth and flavorful now, even in the opinion of buddies that love punchy new cigars.

To put some context to the topic of whether the 18/19s will age well because they are smoking well now, I remember a similar concern in 08.  My 08s were some of my best at 9/10 years old.  

I tried to go long on current production and am hoping.?

I will also say I have had duds when young that never really came around.  They got slightly better but never blossomed — so who knows. 

I really haven't smoked many cigars from 2015 to 2020 codes, so it is a work in progress for me to know how they will mature. I have been enjoying the hell out of 2007, 08, 09, 10 over the last few years. I agree those years started to Really !! come into their own at 8 to 10 year mark. 2007 RYJSC, 08 Bolivar Inmensas, 08 Lusi's, 08 and 09 898's, 09 PSP 2 and D4, 09 BBF, 2010 SigloVI. 2008 and 09 were great vintages for aging imo. Honestly the 898's took a decade before I got that "Wow" factor. My plan is, "if its smoking great, some em. If you feel there is room for improvement wait 6 months or a year and try again.

22 hours ago, CigarZen said:

To my palate, as a general rule, cigars get better with age.  Age allows flavors to shine through without the edge or tannins that mask the flavor.

PSD4s are the expectation.  Those are better young.  Aged PSD4s seem to get floral notes I would rather not see in a Partagas. I prefer the earthy peppery power in this stick.

Agreed. 4 to 5 years seems to be a general rule of thumb for me, give or take. To really notice the blend smoothing out and various complexity of tastes to develop. Flavors grow bigger. That said, smoking cigars is a subjective experience and what I may like, someone else may not. One thing I will note is that smoking aged cigars was an acquired taste for me. I feel I just did not have the experienced palate to really taste the differences that developed as the  cigars matured over time. I have been smoking cigars for around 20 years but only smoked non-Cuban cigars for several years before Cc's. I was used to raw power vs. finesse and flavor. It will be interesting to see how the post 2010 and 2015 cigars smoke down the road. We will all know in about 7 to 10 years...

• Like 3

What makes me think a CC will age well, the easy answer is when I smoke a great young cigar. The hard answer is when you smoke a good young cigar will it get better. One cigar that really sticks out in my mind is JL #4’s, a very good cigar when young but there was a flavor there that I could tell was just sleeping. Now I know it was the Cointreau genie locked in her bottle that has come out with her cloths off!

Smoking aged cigars only takes 2 things, time and money. When your young you usually have only one of the two. I love young cigars and aged cigars, for the first 30 years I smoked young cigars because I couldn’t buy more cigars than I smoked. The last 20 years I’ve been lucky enough to buy more than I smoke, so I smoke aged cigars. One sweet thing about smoking aged cigars is knowing what you paid for them and what they cost now.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am luckier than most, having being around a little longer  (than many)  in the cuban realm. 

Simply, I look for baselines. 

I look for similarities( aka ageing lines)  in fresh cigars to aged  cigars when trying to gauge long term ageing potential. It is the reason that I am solid on say PCC regional Tainos compared to old school fresh ERDM Tainos. To me, they taste the same at that juvenile stage of development. 

You have to try cigars fresh in order to get a line on how they will develop. But that reference is only valid (to me) if you try the same cigars at 2/3/5/7/10 years + down the track. 

You are looking for palate  reference  points. There are no shortcuts. 

But for those of us that may not have the time left to purchase, test, wait, make a mistake, purchase again.....  We rely on your experience and expertise.  I may not agree with your tasting notes on every cigar but when I do I'm happy to take your advice on what to expect over time.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2021 at 10:13 PM, Markspring1978 said:

As stated earlier, it seems that product out of Cuba today doesn’t have the same aging characteristics that the leaf and vitolas of old. But man, a Punch Super Selection 1, or a Bolivar Coronas Extra are SO much different with age.

That being said, I think most would agree that a PLPC or a Party 898 are a completely different cigar after 5 years. 

I smoked a Bolivar CE earlier today that I purchased from FOH about 10 years ago. It was from Oct 2007 and was wonderful. Lots of mushroom, nuts and some toast and caramel.