And the 2020 CA Cigar of the Year is......

????

EP Carrillo Pledge Prequel

It doesn't look like much but kudos to EPC.  Kinda sad to see less Cuban cigars represented these past few years. I know many here, myself included, don't put too much stock into this yearly cigar magazine lists.  It makes me wonder how representative these lists are of what cigar smokers tend to reach for. 

Well I knew no.1 wasn’t going to be Cuban once they advertised their annual contest for a giveaway of the top cigar - I don’t think that would be legal under current law.

I predict 3 CC’s in the top 25, just like it’s been every year since I’ve been following the list (5 years).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

As coincidence would have it, our Developing Palates panel review of the Pledge posted this morning before CA's #1. Our take?

5.30, 5.85, 6.00, 5.85.

?‍♂️

We're doing our CoTY recap show on Monday (can't wait), and then spitting some fire about 2020 releases on the 26th.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

As coincidence would have it, our Developing Palates panel review of the Pledge posted this morning before CA's #1. Our take?

5.30, 5.85, 6.00, 5.85.

?‍♂️

We're doing our CoTY recap show on Monday (can't wait), and then spitting some fire about 2020 releases on the 26th.

Out of a possible 10?!  Hahaha, good to know.

5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Well I knew no.1 wasn’t going to be Cuban once they advertised their annual contest for a giveaway of the top cigar - I don’t think that would be legal under current law.

I predict 3 CC’s in the top 25, just like it’s been every year since I’ve been following the list (5 years).

No.  They clearly have a disclaimer about this situation.  In case of a cuban, the winner gets the 2nd (or highest rated non-cuban)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smitte3 said:

Out of a possible 10?!  Hahaha, good to know.

If you read the notes on scoring, it is actually not bad.  I hate cigar ratings where 99% is between 85 and 100 (sorry guys).  Seems like  cigars can easily fall between 1 and 10 where an average cigar elsewhere is an 85.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HDGSN said:

Monte No. 2 GUT APR 2013 won one year because I bought a box for a special occasion. 

Yes, it was 2013. CA had a party in Havana on the Tuesday night of the 2014 Habanos festival to commemorate the win for the Montecristo No. 2

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

@Islandboy you called it. Three Cubans. The other two being the BBF and RA #2 

Year after year, 3 token Cubans. I think that's all their advertising plan allows.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

So with the 90-100 scoring a 93 would be a 3/10.

Essentially has become a scale from 1 to 10.

Anything below 90 must be unsmokeable.

I mean that's just it. Someone handing out a 98 on the 100 point scale better be prepared to declare it one of the best cigars they've ever smoked in their entire lives.

On 1/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, Monterey said:

If you read the notes on scoring, it is actually not bad.  I hate cigar ratings where 99% is between 85 and 100 (sorry guys).  Seems like  cigars can easily fall between 1 and 10 where an average cigar elsewhere is an 85.

Agreed. The number of times I hear someone complain throughout a whole review of how flat, young, or just not good the cigar is, then give it an 89 is wild to me. If something was barely more than rolled tobacco leaves, that's like, a 40 on my scale. A 90 is a "get at least a couple boxes of these" cigar for me. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Agreed. The number of times I hear someone complain throughout a whole review of how flat, young, or just not good the cigar is, then give it an 89 is wild to me. If something was barely more than rolled tobacco leaves, that's like, a 40 on my scale. A 90 is a "get at least a couple boxes of these" cigar for me. 

Yeah it's crazy.

I think it's a mental/psychological issue with categorization. People are basically ranking cigars relatively, and not giving them an absolute score. So 89 is worse than everything 90+.

This is why I use a 5 point scale myself (1=terrible, 2=barely acceptable/acceptable, 3=acceptable/good, 4=good/great, 5=outstanding). 10 point scale is good too, but that's too many categories for me to categorize things consistently. Sometimes I'll use .5/half scores (3.5, 4.5) if I'm really undecided, so I guess that's kind of a 10 point scale., but I never use 0.5, 1.5 or 2.5, so not quite. Guess I should use a 7 point scale :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2