And the 2020 CA Cigar of the Year is......


Recommended Posts

😴😴😴😴

EP Carrillo Pledge Prequel

It doesn't look like much but kudos to EPC.  Kinda sad to see less Cuban cigars represented these past few years. I know many here, myself included, don't put too much stock into this yearly cigar magazine lists.  It makes me wonder how representative these lists are of what cigar smokers tend to reach for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I knew no.1 wasn’t going to be Cuban once they advertised their annual contest for a giveaway of the top cigar - I don’t think that would be legal under current law.

I predict 3 CC’s in the top 25, just like it’s been every year since I’ve been following the list (5 years).

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As coincidence would have it, our Developing Palates panel review of the Pledge posted this morning before CA's #1. Our take?

5.30, 5.85, 6.00, 5.85.

🤷‍♂️

We're doing our CoTY recap show on Monday (can't wait), and then spitting some fire about 2020 releases on the 26th.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

As coincidence would have it, our Developing Palates panel review of the Pledge posted this morning before CA's #1. Our take?

5.30, 5.85, 6.00, 5.85.

🤷‍♂️

We're doing our CoTY recap show on Monday (can't wait), and then spitting some fire about 2020 releases on the 26th.

Out of a possible 10?!  Hahaha, good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Much like the wine industry these lists suck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

like i said in the other thread these guys smoke cubans at home just watch any time they popup on a youtube video or they do a interview like with MJ, just look at the scores they give out in the connoisseur corner

as far as this years COTY EP must be a friend of theirs because i dont see that cigar getting a score over 90-93 anywhere else let alone a 98... only 2 fresh cigars have got a 98 in the last 20 years and the other was behike i think.... the other EP that won in 2018 was nice but nothing id buy again, it was cheap and good but i dont think any other site even had it in their top 25 that year ether

a 98 and 2 97's i think the covid lockdown is getting to them 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@bundwallah, I was secretly hoping it would be the Montecristo No.2 because 2020 stock has been so exceptional (I think they give it the nod in 2013, from memory). At least El Pres did give it the No.1 rating in his FoH Top 20 list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Well I knew no.1 wasn’t going to be Cuban once they advertised their annual contest for a giveaway of the top cigar - I don’t think that would be legal under current law.

I predict 3 CC’s in the top 25, just like it’s been every year since I’ve been following the list (5 years).

No.  They clearly have a disclaimer about this situation.  In case of a cuban, the winner gets the 2nd (or highest rated non-cuban)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

Well.... time to throw out all my trash cubans then. What a waste of money they were

Send them up to me and the Sydney boys will dispose of them properly.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smitte3 said:

Out of a possible 10?!  Hahaha, good to know.

If you read the notes on scoring, it is actually not bad.  I hate cigar ratings where 99% is between 85 and 100 (sorry guys).  Seems like  cigars can easily fall between 1 and 10 where an average cigar elsewhere is an 85.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cigaraholic said:

I believe 2010 was the year CA picked the Monte 2

Monte No. 2 GUT APR 2013 won one year because I bought a box for a special occasion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HDGSN said:

Monte No. 2 GUT APR 2013 won one year because I bought a box for a special occasion. 

Yes, it was 2013. CA had a party in Havana on the Tuesday night of the 2014 Habanos festival to commemorate the win for the Montecristo No. 2

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

@Islandboy you called it. Three Cubans. The other two being the BBF and RA #2 

Year after year, 3 token Cubans. I think that's all their advertising plan allows.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

So with the 90-100 scoring a 93 would be a 3/10.

Essentially has become a scale from 1 to 10.

Anything below 90 must be unsmokeable.

I mean that's just it. Someone handing out a 98 on the 100 point scale better be prepared to declare it one of the best cigars they've ever smoked in their entire lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, Monterey said:

If you read the notes on scoring, it is actually not bad.  I hate cigar ratings where 99% is between 85 and 100 (sorry guys).  Seems like  cigars can easily fall between 1 and 10 where an average cigar elsewhere is an 85.

Agreed. The number of times I hear someone complain throughout a whole review of how flat, young, or just not good the cigar is, then give it an 89 is wild to me. If something was barely more than rolled tobacco leaves, that's like, a 40 on my scale. A 90 is a "get at least a couple boxes of these" cigar for me. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.