Rum recommendations

HoyoFan

Hey guys, I used to have scotch but the last year I’ve really been enjoying Rum with my cigars.

I’ve tried a couple of different ones and so far Diplomatico has been my favorite.

I was curious what you all recommend. I like something not too spicy or too crazy floral.

Thanks!

Neat or mixer?  
Neat: Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva is nice. 
Mixer: Diplomatico Mantuano is very good. 
Ron Zacapa 23 and XO are also very good. 

DF9A5FA1-7EA1-431F-8080-25F9A9825017.jpeg.ecfac89798409b39c595274343598683.jpeg

I’ve been drinking the diplomatico reserva. Usually with just a few pieces of ice
  • Like 1

For a Scotch drinker, I would recommend pretty much any Foursquare.  Most other rums I have tried are either too sweet and/or one-dimensional.  https://altamarbrands.com/brands/foursquare-rum-distillery/
By the way, I am an avid Scotch drinker.
Second this. No added sweetener or color like most rum. Ken did a review on them once I think.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, asmazda said:

For a Scotch drinker, I would recommend pretty much any Foursquare.  Most other rums I have tried are either too sweet and/or one-dimensional.  https://altamarbrands.com/brands/foursquare-rum-distillery/

By the way, I am an avid Scotch drinker.

x2. Foursquare makes fantastic rums from the budget to premium options. Their white rum collaboration with Hampden, called Probitas, is our go-to for any rum cocktail. It is perfect for a daiquiri or mojito. I'm enjoying the latter at the moment with a Punch Short de Punch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pacto Navio, Santiago 11, Ron Caney Centuria.

For ones you can possibly find domestically, Plantation (any though I like the Barbados 5 for general use and XO for special occasions), any Foursguare you can find. 

Ron Zacapa, Zaya and Zafra for your Zs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For a not so breaking the bank option, I am a real fan of Zaya 18 years with a splash of cocoa bitters.  

In the USA, Ron Zacopa is great.  

In Havana, 7 Anos and up are my personal favorites.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

Zafra 21!  Read the reviews. It punches way above its weight class at $46/btl. Fuller, richer, rounder than many other ~20yr rums. 

The 30 is even better, but the price tag is ouchy.

i'll echo the foursquare recommendations, pretty much anything they make. being a whiskey drinker, i find their 12 year bottlings to be the only rum on-par with fine whiskey. their probitas white rum collaboration with hampden is fantastic as well. 

that said, i'm not a huge fan of neat liquor with cigars. i really like appleton signature (the cheap one) with ginger ale (not ginger beer) and lime. fantastic with or without cigar.

the appleton 12 is pretty good too, and if you're looking for another interesting white rum, casa magdalena is worth checking out.

-dobbs

• Thanks 1

I also got into rum last summer (not because of Covid...), but the reason was that I tried rhum agricole at a friend‘s and was lost immediately. 
Just to mention it once: the difference to most other rums, which are made from molasses, is that agricole is made from the initial cane juice - which is basically the same as cachaça from Brazil. You can try any of the older rhums from Neisson, Clément, HSE, Demoiseau... 

• Thanks 1

I also got into rum last summer (not because of Covid...), but the reason was that I tried rhum agricole at a friend‘s and was lost immediately. 
Just to mention it once: the difference to most other rums, which are made from molasses, is that agricole is made from the initial cane juice - which is basically the same as cachaça from Brazil. You can try any of the older rhums from Neisson, Clément, HSE, Demoiseau... 

^^^this if you don’t like sugary rums. The XO rhum agricoles are great neat with cigars. Clement. Whites + some lime are fresh, grassy alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Zacapa XO is excellent. It tastes more like a Cognac than rum. Not very sweet either. 

I had a bottle of Pacto Navio and killed it quickly. Great on its own or with a cigar. 

Ron Santiago 11YO is a gem as well

El Dorado 12 or 15 too.