Your Top Five Destinations In One Week...

Looking ahead, as a week-long post-Covid celebratory trip/party :party:, and imagining travel time wasn't an issue (i.e. you could be magically teleported between destinations or something), what would be your top five travel destinations in that week?

(Apologies to those that this seems cruel to even contemplate, which I include myself in ;). )

My five would be:

1. Machu Picchu - something I've always wanted to see. And have always wanted to visit South America. 

2. Cairo - have to see the pyramids. Bucket List stuff. 

3. Kinsale, IRE - home to two beloved old pissheads that I would dearly love to catch up with. And a great foodie and pub town.

4. Crete - love the wonderful lifestyle of the Greeks, and would love to further explore this island... even if only very briefly. 

5. Havana - have yet to get to Cuba. And for other obvious reasons... :cigar:

Yours?...

• Like 1

Teleporting from The Netherlands to Norway (Fjords), from Norway to Italy (skieing trip in Bormeo), from Italy to Japan (Osaka and Tokyo), from Japan to NZ South Isle (mt Cook) and from NZ South Isle to Argentina (pampas).

• Japan...Kyoto, Tokyo, Okinawa. Trains & cherry blossoms & sushi
  • NZ...I want to spend a month there driving around in a RV. I hear u can surf & snowboard all in one day
  • Deep South Pacific...French Polynesia, The Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa, The Solomons, Palau
  • Africa...Tanzania, Kenya, Madagasgar
  • SE Asia...would love to backpack thru Laos & Cambodia
  • Like 3

Machu Pichu, Cairo and Greece from you list are also on mine, as is New Zealand from above.

Many more to see though Madagascar is higher on the list than most.

• Like 3

1. Coron Philippines

2. Trondheim Norway

3. Octoberfest Munich Germany

4. Moab Utah, United States

5. Boundary Waters, Northern Minnesota, United States. 

• Like 1

would depend time of year and what was happening - eg, i would include Helsinki if my mate was holding another tasting (he is, but i doubt i'll get there this year). 

in no order - 

costa rica for tarpon fishing

amazon for arapaima 

nelson lakes in nz for brown trout

any place for GT but say christmas island for both GT and bones. 

fraser island

non-fishing,

havana

madrid/barcelona

burgundy

duoro

africa (yes, that is very general)

The cruelty in this contemplation (fantasy) is limiting it to 5 places and further restricting it to only 1 day or so each!

Athens - Santorini - Como - Dublin - Havana

• Like 1

Machu picchu, for sure.

Cairo - Pyramids

Stone henge 

Antarctica (I've never see real snow, lol)

Oak Island (gotta see what all the treasure stuff is about in person)

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:16 PM, scap99 said:

Machu picchu, for sure.

Cairo - Pyramids

Stone henge 

Antarctica (I've never see real snow, lol)

Oak Island (gotta see what all the treasure stuff is about in person)

With you on Stonehenge and Antarctica. The latter would put me on all the continents!

See the Aurora Borealis. Russia and its former states, more APAC - Thailand, Viet Nam, Myanmar. Borneo, Sumatra, Timor.  The rest of central and south America.

Several smaller EU and western East European countries we haven't visited. Luxembourg, Latvia, Estonia, Croatia, Slovenia. The Nordics.

More Africa. Morocco the only one there so far.

The 2-3 states in the US I haven't spent time in as changing planes doesn't count for me. Looking at you Minnesota.

List goes on. Hope to get as much in as we can as we plan to spend the next 2-3 years traveling once we're able to.

Oops. 5 places, not 5 sentences....oh well. Too hard to pick.

• Like 1

Amalfi Coast - was amazing place to visit would go again in heartbeat 

Greece - never been always been on my bucket list 

Ireland - mainly Dublin loved the place last time we went 

Vietnam - loved the food the people and just the place in general 

New Zealand - to see my son haven't seen him in a year 

Firstly I will hop to Singapore to see my grandma and cousins, and collect all the bottles of whiskies that I've been shipping to my friend. Then beam me up to -

Kyoto for some sushi and Yamazaki distillery to grab a dram of Hibiki 30, which I will put in a sample bottle, and off to - 

London where my sister and her husband lives. The Hibiki would be his current dream dram, and maybe catch an Arsenal game. Next stop would be -

Zermatt for a day of snowboarding (at this point I am certain to miss this entire season), followed by -

Phuket or Da Nang to lie by the beach with my buddies as we missed our trip planned for last September

• Like 1

1. Scotland for a day of golf

2. Canada for a day of fishing

3. Austria for a day of skiing

4. Italy for a day of eating

5. Maui for a day of Maui

I know, pretty general in terms of location, but I'm ok with it.

• Like 2

Yangshuo, China - I've never seen scenery as magical as the Karsts in and around Yangshuo, I've visited twice and would go back in a heartbeat

Kanchanaburi, Thailand - Home of the bridge of the river kwai, it's nothing special but there's a guesthouse there I love. It has this wooden platform that extends out over the river (and floating rooms!), I love spending a day or two lounging on the platform drinking Singha and reading.

The Himalayas - I desperately want to go do the Annapurna trek, that might well be the first trip I make post covid

Chile - I live in one of the most light polluted places in the world, I really want to see the milky way in all its glory and I heard Chile is one of the best places

Bangkok - To see friends and that city is just incredible fun

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

Instead of hitting "Like" on all of these, I'm just gonna say: I like 'em all...well, maybe not Antarctica so much

We wouldn't invite you anyway!

????

Well I have some on my bucket list - Places I ve not been yet, quite in te normality of holiday area.

Argentina - Buenos Aires 

South Africa - Cape Town

Vietnam beaches

Nicaragua tobacco fields, factories and beaches

New Zealand

Hana - to hang out with the Hawaiians

Makawao - to hang out with the Paniolos

Wailea - to hang with the rich and famous

Paia - to hang out with the hippies

Makena - to hang out with the hippies nekkid

?

• Like 2

I love to eat, and used to fly 200+ segments a year. I would go back to basics with an eating tour of places I used to eat frequently but sadly haven’t been to in over a year: 

-NYC: huge lunch at Sushi Yasuda, nap, and maybe dinner at Cosme. 

-San Francisco: huge early meal at Swan Oyster Depot, nap, and dinner at SPQR. 

-London: huge seafood feast at Scott’s in Mayfair, nap, and maybe wild game dinner at Harwood Arms. 

-Chicago: lunch and dinner at Frontera Grill (nap in between). 

-San Sebastian area, Spain: blood sausage at La Cuchara de San Telmo, lunch at Extebarri, dinner at Elkano. No time for nap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's make it a theme trip -with fantasies about catching your own food:

1. Sicily - fishing tuna in the strait of Messina and having it served in a good restaurant in Messina - after dinner smoking on the Piazza with a good coffee

2. Scotland, for grouse and deer. Served at the 'manor house' . Dirinks and cigars in the library afterwards, smoking jackets required

3. Domincan Republic North Coast - marlin fishing aboard a white Sunseeker. Great day at sea and dinner on the beach. Bonfire, drinks and cigars afterwards.

4. Belgium Ardennes - wild boar hunting with guns and dogs. After spending a day in the hills field dress the meat.. Dinner, drinks and cigars at the St. Hubertus lodge

5. Alaska - salmon run fishing next to the Kodiak Bears - make dinner myself, campfire and a big cigar under the stars while watching out for the Kodiaks :)

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, Fosgate said:

5. Boundary Waters, Northern Minnesota, United States. 

Such an underrated place. I spent 6 nights/7 days there in 2013 and I constantly think about going back. The Boundary Waters are a really special place, unlike anywhere else I've been so far.