BOLÍVAR BELICOSOS FINOS RESERVA COSECHA 2016 BEGINS SHIPPING

17 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Maybe one day I’ll be cool enough to smoke a reserva! 

I made a $700 payment on my “cigar” credit card today, barely made a dent in the balance! I doubt that I’ll be that cool anytime soon... ?

• Haha 3

Not trolling, serious question.  For those of you with experience with Reserva/GR - are these usually worth the markup? (looks like at least 6x regular production).  And a little confused as to the leaf description in HW - are these the 2016 leaf that would have been in  ~ 2017-2018 BBFs (ie, aged BBFs) or a different blend?  Thanks

Vance

10 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

Not trolling, serious question.  For those of you with experience with Reserva/GR - are these usually worth the markup? (looks like at least 6x regular production).  And a little confused as to the leaf description in HW - are these the 2016 leaf that would have been in  ~ 2017-2018 BBFs (ie, aged BBFs) or a different blend?  Thanks

Vance

I'm sure you will get answers on both ends of the spectrum but IMO, until recently most of them have been worth the markup.  However, recent pricing has been just crazy.  I've stopped buying them. 

12 hours ago, vhampl03 said:

Vance

I  know it sounds like a cop-out, but it really depends on the cigar.

Grand Reserva Series

• CGR.  I was fortunate to grab a fiver of the CGR upon release.  And hands down it was a 100 point smoking experience.  To me the Siglo VI is a 50/50 cigar. It's either going to be great or just "ok".  The CGR was the penultimate example of the cigar.   The CGR was and IMO is the best of the program.
  • MGR.  Had two. Best Monte 2'[s I've ever smoked!  But.  I'm not a fan of M2's so the bar is pretty low for me. :)
  • PGR.  Gorgeous looking cigars.  My own 5YO Lusitanias smoked better TBH. The wrappers on there are sublime though.
  • RyJWCGR.  Very nice balanced and smooth cigar.  Mine was a freebie.  I find the regular WC to be just as good or better.  I wouldn't chase these down.

Reserva Series.

• Reserva Cohiba box is fantastic. Not a dud to be found amongst the various vitolas in there.
  • Reserva Monte 4's are amazing.  Still have a couple left. They are perfection.
  • Reserva RyJ Churchill was hot garbage.  Shameful.

Like many boxes. It's a gamble as to what you get inside.  At the right price point for the right cigar, they might be worth it. (see CGR) :)  There does seem to be quality issues though. And that is pitiful.  The Reserva Churchill I smoked had serious burn issues. At a herf, I watched my friend pull a fresh HdM DC Grand Reserva from the box and pitch it a third of the way through because draw issues were turning him blue in the face. He reached for a second.  Same thing. Draw issues. He lopped of 1.5 inches off the head and it improved. But that he had to go through two badly rolled cigars in a GR box is horrible.  You would think the "best of the best" tobacco would be rolled by someone competent.

• Like 2

I believe I have had all of the Reservas/GRs. They’ve all been very good*. Worth it depends how many bucks you have floating around.

*The one exception for me is the Cohiba Robusto but I only smoked one and it was fairly young. I’m also kind of indifferent to Cohiba Robustos in general as well so may be a bias or just not my thing.