Do NCs need higher temperatures too?

It's generally accepted that NCs need higher RH or CCs need lower RH.

I've seen some posts on Facebook groups of people worried their temperature is in the 16-18C range or trying to keep temp 64-65F and above. What's up with this. Isn't 60-65F 16-18C a good temperature range?

Just clueless noobs or is 70/70 literally the gold standard for NCs?

2 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

Give your NCs to those people that come visit you and you don't like them 

When you go CC you never go back 

I think I'm currently at 100% CC in my stash. But I'm part of a bunch of cigar groups on Facebook and they have a bunch of NC content.

6 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

Give your NCs to those people that come visit you and you don't like them 

When you go CC you never go back 

I totally agree. Someone recently gifted me an NC. I just tossed it in the trash

• Haha 3

There are NC’s I enjoy, I store them with my CC’s at around 63% rH. To me, the NC’s benefit from being smoked at ‘lower’ rH the same as CC’s. Might be my palate, ambient conditions or a combination of both. 

Don’t overthink things too much, cigars are more resilient than we give them credit for, try them at different points of humidification and pick what works for you. As long as you keep the conditions you pick as consistent as possible.

• Like 1

I don't keep my NCs separate from my CCs. The flavor marrying is a myth (but if your afraid of that toss then in freezer bag, leave it open for a day and then shut it 80% of the way).The temperature/rH isn't a big deal. CCs are sensitive and like small range but NCs are petty forgiving. As long as you aren't keeping wind tunnel NCs like padron aniversarios @ 65/65 shouldn't be a noticeable difference.

I also was partial to not storing apart, just keep the CC's with the NC's in the tupperdore, I tweaked my CC storage after a few disappointments at 65-67RH. I like my CC's a bit dryer so I have a CC and NC tupperdore now, 62 bovedas with my CC's where my NC's are stored with 65-69 bovedas. Both are smoking great at that storage with my smoking environment, outside with about 70RH.

• Like 1

Not to confuse things further but I feel like NC’s without cello need the higher RH and ones wrapped in cello are extremely forgiving. I tried keeping different RH’s in different humidors but gave up as I didn’t see much difference  Things have settled in the middle around 65/65 give or take +/- 3% and 3 degrees. Everything smokes well and dry boxing the CC’s has been helpful but not necessary. 

• Like 1

Why complicate things with separate humidity & temps based on where the cigar came from?  Sounds like making something out of nothing.  63-65% RH and the cooler the better as long as you can maintain the RH.  Normal room temps are fine, but if you are able to use cellar temps, even better.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 7:01 AM, Tdm_86 said:

To me, the NC’s benefit from being smoked at ‘lower’ rH the same as CC’s. Might be my palate, ambient conditions or a combination of both. 

I have smoked a lot of NCs for many years (before starting with CCs) and this is my take as well.   I trust my own tastebuds--couldn't care less what the NC "experts" say on this subject.    Most B & Ms and Internet sellers who sell NCs have them way over-humidified for my taste, and I have to stabilize them for months to get them where I want them.

I don’t think NCs need different temperature considerations than CCs as far as storage. I keep all mine in the same general area between 63 and 70 (my wife NEVER lets the house get above 70) and both are fine.

I have done an experiment with temperature a few times and it turns out I like to smoke a cigar that has been warmed. I used to live in Florida and would take a stick or two (NC or CC) out of my humi in the morning and place them in a travel baggie and then in my glove box for smoking later in the day. Inevitably, by the time I got to the cigars to smoke them the heat had warmed the car and my cigars. I found I preferred this to having the cigars with me at room temp and then firing them up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1