Canada plain packaging

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monte 4s Bar code authentication works. no box date no original bands  

It's as if they have no concept of the Internet, or mail, or airplanes that take you places you can buy cigars. Causing grievous harm to small business owners, congrats.

The flimsy thin cardboard is a complete piss take. It's one thing for the fun nazi's to insist on plain packaging,  thats bad enough.   But I do think there is credible grounds for someone to ins

1 minute ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I don't know who thought those bands would be better than no bands. Not to mention the additional cost of physically adding that band to every cigar. 

I'm guessing most sales in Canada are singles and most consumers wouldn't know what is what without the bands. Even now most would prefer the vitola name on the actual real bands (I keep seeing praise for that feature of the Connie A).

• Like 2

I guess just be glad that some bureaucrat didn’t decide that the font had to be comic sans.    

For me the biggest travesty is the box. The bands don’t bother me as much as the unceremonious flimsy paper box.  But I guess the goal is achieved - it would definitely take some of the allure away for me.

This is just so sad on so many levels. To be honest, having that band really is no different, maybe a little different for cohiba.

But I wouldn’t trust anything here, they could be wrapped up JPs or Quintero’s. Could be the lighting but some look very rough and green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djrey said:

What a shame. It certainly is mostly about the cigars but packaging certainly helps. We taste with our eyes before the box lid is even opened. The same cigars would taste better if they were in their original box, the mind is powerful. 

Great post, and 100 percent fact. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vhampl03 said:

So the box code is not available or just not on the box? Does pp mean you’re buying cigars without knowing anything about age and factory? 

I believe right now it is not available at all.

I think the regulations allow a 10 digit alphanumeric code, so I think the box code information could be conveyed.

Also regulations say that if the box were made of wood or metal it doesn't need to be this color, and could be the plain color of the wood or metal.

3 hours ago, 99call said:

But I do think there is credible grounds for someone to insist to the government, that cedar boxes are 100% necessary to ensure both the safe transit of the cigars, but also to ensure their moisture and aroma is preserved. 

What I always said. They are altering the product. Original packaging is part of the product.

• Like 1

What an effing shame. Discouraging a nice cigar while encouraging cannabis use. Does the weed come in nicer packaging in Canada?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

What an effing shame. Discouraging a nice cigar while encouraging cannabis use. Does the weed come in nicer packaging in Canada?

Marijuana also has plain packaging though the regulations are probably a little looser (I think you can have different colors other than this green/brown but similar in that there are no brand or other elements allowed).

3 hours ago, Arctic Dude said:

I suggested that the use of alcohol is undoubtably far more deleterious to the overall health and well-being of society than cigar smoking is, so why not do the same thing with all alcohol sales?!?

Pointing out that the emperor has no clothes is just mean--that was the point of that child-hood story, right?  :rolleyes:   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arctic Dude said:

I contacted my Member of Parliament, who also happens to be Canada’s Minister of Health, and asked her to provide me with the evidence showing the health risks associated with the smoking of premium cigars.  I suggested that the use of alcohol is undoubtably far more deleterious to the overall health and well-being of society than cigar smoking is, so why not do the same thing with all alcohol sales?!?  What I got back was ? chirping (while I’m sure she was sipping on her Chardonnay). ?

37 minutes ago, Cairo said:

Pointing out that the emperor has no clothes is just mean--that was the point of that child-hood story, right?  :rolleyes:   

Plain packaging of alcohol, soft drinks, fast food, confectionery, snack food....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bijan said:

I believe right now it is not available at all.

I think the regulations allow a 10 digit alphanumeric code, so I think the box code information could be conveyed.

Also regulations say that if the box were made of wood or metal it doesn't need to be this color, and could be the plain color of the wood or metal.

Wonder if Havana House will take up using plain wood boxes eventually. Would certainly bring back some dignity to this sorry sight.

6 hours ago, Shrimpchips said:

Wonder if Havana House will take up using plain wood boxes eventually. Would certainly bring back some dignity to this sorry sight.

It's a neat idea, but it will add more expense to already expensive product thanks to taxes. :( From what I'm told. HH has to do the heavy lifting of applying the plain packaging themselves in Havana.  Habanos want's nothing to do with it. I will say, the cigars in that box don't look right. Far too much wrapper variation. And unless it's a problem with the camera, there is a noticeable green tinge to the sticks too. 

• Like 3

So the box buckles under the weight of 25....Monte 4’s...... ? ?‍♂️ ? 

I still say Habanos needs to get on the front end of this. Box everything in the same wood boxes they would normally leave the factory. Just forgo the branding iron and have plain packaging runs in the 4 main factories. It cannot be that hard to have these production runs just like the RE runs.

Edition Regional Canadá Dookie 1, 2, 3, etc...

3 minutes ago, La_Tigre said:

So the box buckles under the weight of 25....Monte 4’s...... ? ?‍♂️ ? 

I still say Habanos needs to get on the front end of this. Box everything in the same wood boxes they would normally leave the factory. Just forgo the branding iron and have plain packaging runs in the 4 main factories. It cannot be that hard to have these production runs just like the RE runs.

Edition Regional Canadá Dookie 1, 2, 3, etc...

I think the problem is that Canada set the standards on what the packaging should look like. From the poopy green color, to fonts,etc. So unless Habanos is willing to paint boxes with that color and the Canadian gov't approves of that variation I really dont blame Habanos. (at least this time).  ;)  IMO they've given up on the Canadian market.  They probably figure that the hardcore enthusiasts will still grab their products from elsewhere.  There might be a loophole for the Indigenous communities to import the boxes as is and the odd duty free reseller. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

I think the problem is that Canada set the standards on what the packaging should look like. From the poopy green color, to fonts,etc. So unless Habanos is willing to paint boxes with that color and the Canadian gov't approves of that variation I really dont blame Habanos. (at least this time).  ;)  IMO they've given up on the Canadian market.  They probably figure that the hardcore enthusiasts will still grab their products from elsewhere.  There might be a loophole for the Indigenous communities to import the boxes as is and the odd duty free reseller. 

=

13 hours ago, Bijan said:

This.

Giving up shouldn’t be the solution. This is the country’s greatest income export. Make your product standout as the exact same product without branding. You tell us we cannot burn Cohiba into the box, ok we can skip that step...we cannot put the Partagas band on the cigar, ok we can skip that step, we’ve done it before...?

But we digress....You don’t tell Cuba how to package cigars, Cuba tells you how to package cigars. ? 

• Like 2

When I heard this crap was tabled for legislation it made my blood boil. It's absolutely ridiculous. Gotta love the babysitter state we live in. Gov't makes decisions for us because we're all Neanderthals..... and suckers for shiny things.

• Like 1

Travesty on every level basically. Its a gross over reach and lack of knowledge from you know who... that is getting more and more prevalent in all areas. I've spoken to many cigar shop owners around Toronto and Northern areas and the consensuses is all the same. They are getting ready to shift there business to something that would be more profitable and less red tape.

Mostly they say cannabis is the way to go, if your a shop owner the writing is on the wall  as of Jan 2021, there are 359 authorized cannabis shops open in the Ontario and the AGCO announced it was issuing 80 cannabis retail store authorizations per month so you either adapt or get forced out.

I've been into many cannabis shops and the level of detail of the actual shop and service is beautiful!!! smoking areas, lounge chairs, clubs. Basically the things our American neighbors enjoy in many of their cigar shops. ( There is only 1 cigar shop in Toronto that still provides all those services which shall remain nameless.... )

**Correct me if I'm wrong but in the Cuban factories when they are sorting the cigars by color and shade etc what would the incentive be to keep the prized rolled stock just to simple put a bland band on it and throw it in a cardboard box.

Being most expensive place in the world to buy Cubans and now plain packaging its just another nail in coffin, Thank god for Rob! 

• Like 1