Recommended Posts

I have a box of ABO MAY 18 , call this "aged" is up to you. May have been a monday morning box, but it's not as good as the Partagas counterpart I have which are a year younger. This type of cigar is my regular smoking cigar, so I honestly don't want to wait on it, grab it out of the box and smoke it.

From what I experience I would pass, but they are not that expensive (at least for me) so you could throw a few coin at it and give it a try.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two boxes that are ELU and PMS MAR-14.  Just started smoking the ELU MAR-14 box @ 6.5 yrs old; I've had about 5 so far.  They are very smooth smokes with toasted tobacco, cedar and just the slightest taste of dried cherries on the finish and seem pretty typical of the RyJ marca.  The last one I smoked several weeks ago -- in the last third it tasted like cherry cough drop which was different and pretty interesting.  

So, from my limited experience with RyJ MF's I'd agree with the above posts - if you do get a good box, they age pretty well.  Now that I'm into them, I don't think the two boxes will last for more than another year or two .....

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The R&J millies along with the Partagas millies are some of my "go to" cheap and cheerful cigars. I normally let them rest for up to 6 months just to get acclimated to my humidor and them smoke them until they're gone.

I don't smoke a huge amount, so it might take me 2 years to go through a box of each, but they're enjoyable. Normally I'll have one and share a 2nd with a friend and they rarely disappoint. I dont notice too much of a difference between that "1 year aged" point and the box that has 3-4 that's almost empty with those. Could also be my pallate.

I did luck into a box of HuHCs one time that had 4-5ys on them when I got them... those were a treat!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a ‘14 box a couple years ago that was amazing. Didn’t see any real changes over the couple years it took me to go through it though.  Haven’t had any more since, however.  They were 5-6yrs old when I smoked them. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy the Mille Fleurs from time to time. They are cheap and clearly aren't a top shelf experience but they have there place. For the price well worth chucking a box or two in the humidor and forgetting about them.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
To be fair, any of the Mille Fleur you can find are excellent cigars. Both RyJ and Partagas are brill, if you can find the Ramon Allones etc then you're in for a real treat too

Excellent and brilliant?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
Possibly even super!

Dang man! Lol I think they are nice if you get them around $100 a box ...to have as hand outs or cheapies ....they can be tasty at times, but always taste resoundingly ...cheap to me .........I would opt for a box of ex 4 to age if the extra money is available .......good and tolerable for me but not brilliant super or excellent lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Lol I know what you mean, in term of the budget smokes from Cuba the MFs have always punched above their weight, even when machine made. They're not going to be fighting 898s etc for prizes but they certainly outperform a lot of similarly priced offerings

  These types of CC have been a huge part of the revenue for Cuba, especially in Europe. I think on the wane now as the business has shifted more to the super premium offerings, but they hold a strong following amongst fishermen, cafe dwellers, folks pottering in their gardens etc

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, CaptainQuintero said:

 Lol I know what you mean, in term of the budget smokes from Cuba the MFs have always punched above their weight, even when machine made. They're not going to be fighting 898s etc for prizes but they certainly outperform a lot of similarly priced offerings

 

I'll second this - just had my first R&J MF am pleasantly surprised, all the way to wanting to kick my younger self for my 'bigger-is-better' belief. Put another way, I guess the smoker ages as well as the cigar. For a ~30m smoke, these things are a blast!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife got me a box of R&J MF over a decade ago and there's a few left.  They're fine enough.  Nothing to write home about.  Don't take much space in the cabinet.

R&J across board are better cigars now than they were a decade ago.  Perhaps a decade from now your MF's will that much better?

I just finished a box of Ex. 4 from around '04-06.  Was a great box that aged well. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

My wife got me a box of R&J MF over a decade ago and there's a few left.  They're fine enough.  Nothing to write home about.  Don't take much space in the cabinet.

R&J across board are better cigars now than they were a decade ago.  Perhaps a decade from now your MF's will that much better?

I just finished a box of Ex. 4 from around '04-06.  Was a great box that aged well. 

Which naturally raises the maxim that aged cigars are different. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the ‘eh, hasn’t changed much.’

I’m smitten by the R&J for those latter two classifications, but will save a box to see how it ages - perhaps they will age as yours, Mr. Corgi (a smart, fun, beautiful breed), but along the way I’ll enjoy the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leebert said:

 

I'll second this - just had my first R&J MF am pleasantly surprised, all the way to wanting to kick my younger self for my 'bigger-is-better' belief. Put another way, I guess the smoker ages as well as the cigar. For a ~30m smoke, these things are a blast!

How in the world are you smoking this in 30 minutes? These are usually a 90 minute smoke for me! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cazador said:

How in the world are you smoking this in 30 minutes? These are usually a 90 minute smoke for me! 

Yeah I'm a fast smoker (as regards this forum) and it's rare for me to smoke one in 30 minutes unless it's a real wind tunnel.

50 minutes is more typical for me. 30 minutes for a wind tunnel. 80 minutes probably near the max.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cazador said:

How in the world are you smoking this in 30 minutes? These are usually a 90 minute smoke for me! 

Yeah, I'm not - I was sloppy - guess I have a cognitive link that 30m = short smoke, despite reality... or, when I'd take a TrinReyes smoke break back in the day, anything over 30m was considered 'mauves choix,' so I left a lot of 1/2-3/4 smoked PC's in the bin 

14 hours ago, Bijan said:

Yeah I'm a fast smoker (as regards this forum) and it's rare for me to smoke one in 30 minutes unless it's a real wind tunnel.

50 minutes is more typical for me. 30 minutes for a wind tunnel. 80 minutes probably near the max.

I think this is about right - especially since I've focused on smoking slowly - typically don't nub cigars this size, so ~45-50ish

Cheers!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.