Flavors that turn you off

What is the number one flavor in a cigar that turns you off from a cigar and why?

For me it's butter. Don't get me wrong, I love butterscoth and butter on my toast etc. My lackluster desire for the flavor goes back to brewing beer. If you boil beer wort with the lid on the boil kettle it causes a chemical of diacetyl to appear in the beer giving it the flavor of butter or cream corn. Diacetyl is an ingredient in microwave popcorn used to geive it a buttery flavor. Another way you can pickup that buttery profile in a beer is a pub that does not clean it's draft lines frequent enough. Infection in the lines create that slick on the tongue buttery flavor that you get at some breweries. So for me knowing knowing what that buttery flavor can be in a fermented product and is a major flaw in beer profiles, is an immediate turnoff in cigars. So for me me my mouth is saying yes but my brain often interferes with taking enjoyment in the flavor of butter. 

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pepper. The reason is because this is the one flavour, for me, that is most likely to dominate a cigar and cause an imbalance with the other flavours. However, pepper in itself, if it compliments the

#1 is pepper. Which is basically 95% of NC’s #2 is licorice. 

Pepper. 

Pepper. The reason is because this is the one flavour, for me, that is most likely to dominate a cigar and cause an imbalance with the other flavours. However, pepper in itself, if it compliments the other flavours in the cigar, I can and do enjoy in more moderate amounts.

• Like 4

Soap/cilantro

Speaking of beer, the esters produced by Isoamyl acetate present banana aroma and flavor which is a flaw in most beers. Never got banana in a cigar!

• Like 2

Bubble gum, which seems to be a flavor I detect in most of the La Gloria Cubanas I’ve had. I’m sincerely hoping it’s just because they’ve all been relatively young, and age will transform this element into something more pleasant.

Pepper or real sharp spice. Love pepper on food all kinds especially red pepper on pasta or pizza just not in cigars.

Number one unwanted flavor is a metallic taste - I've had that only a few times.   Don't really enjoy grass although hay is ok (that's why I have no Cohiba's in my collection - since I see grass a lot in flavor descriptions).  Not a fan of strong pepper since I can smoke many NC's for that flavor if I want!

I haven't had pepper in a cigar in a couple years...but I also moved away from RASS, Punch, Bolivar, and Partagas. (for the most part)

I know many refer to it as mongrel, I taste pepper. 

I've had an overly floral note in aged cigars, like necking a glass of perfume/aftershave. I've mainly experienced this in BBF of a certain age. I've seen in an interview with a guy from 5th avenue in Germany who suggests this flavour is a sign of being over-aged and past it's prime. 

Another one is paper. I find in some Dominican cigars (Davidoff white label e.g) a certain burning white paper note which I don't particularly like.

• Like 2

Funny so many of these has been pepper, one of my favorite notes in moderation. A nice spice. When good, retros bring so much nuance from spicy red pepper to more of a green bell paper or a straight black/white peppercorn. 

For me - unbalanced cedar. Cedar and cream in great cigars is nice, but when young or bad cigars bring it in overwhelming amounts, it’s just a mouthful of wood to me. Another bad one is ash, from a bad burn or draw. 

• Like 3