Where is the Funk?!

I know some folks don’t like the term Cuban Twang, but I’m not one of them... none of the new stuff I’m that I’ve smoked lately has had it, and I miss it! Where are y’all finding it these days?

Edit:

As suggested by @El Presidente, I am going to do my best to put my version of the Twang into words....

For me it’s an aroma, a mix of flavors, and a feeling, which are all hitting you concurrently.

The smell is easy, it is that beautiful barnyard aroma. The aromas of slightly damp livestock in an old barn housing what remains of the past year’s hay. The composting manure pile is just up wind, and makes itself known here and there...

The flavor is where it seems a lot of us get a bit muddy. My take is this. It’s lightly toasted tangy sourdough bread, with a good drizzle of truffle oil and brushed with a very lightly salty brine, and then smothered with goat cheese. The faint mustiness of the truffle oil, and the tangy brine both circle back and add to the aroma... Tangy and earthy, oh it’s so wonderful! 

Finally, for the feeling, it’s both the actual mouth feel, and a sensation, The mouth feel is obviously full and rich from the funky richness of the goat cheese on sourdough, to the earthiness of the truffle oil and brine. The sensation is that of taking a big bite of extra sharp cheddar with no bread or cracker to ease the tangy bite. It makes your mouth water from the back of your lower jaw.

Of course there are other factors that improve this wonderful sensation/flavor/aroma, but it is to me a prerequisite for a classic Cuban cigar.

A big thank you to those of you who have already chimed in! 

Edited by sjbliven
Added description
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sjbliven said:

I know some folks don’t like the term Cuban Twang, but I’m not one of them... none of the new stuff I’m that I’ve smoked lately has had it, and I miss it! Where are y’all finding it these days?

Describe it for members ;)

Others will chime in ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sjbliven said:

Punch as a whole marca, (whether is be Punch-Punch or SDP, 898 etc etc)  has improved drastically in the last 2 years.  Notes of sour cream as @JohnS has mentioned, and a odd (but very pleasurable)  Wrigleys 'Juicyfruit' gum character,    The Tang/Twang is very present in Punch of 2019 2020. 

The word Funk to me means something slightly different.  I would describe it as the Umami characteristic that transcends something to another level of enjoyment.   For example, the almost blue cheese flavour of well aged beef,  The forest floor flavour of truffles, etc etc.    This is being removed from Cuban Cigars, as the current directing seems to be making everything in the world taste like honey, or caramel. 

To me, these cigars still possess the 'Funk'

-Nudies no 1 & 2

-Bolivar Libertadors

-Partagas Presidentes 

-Sancho Panza Belicosos

-Rafael Gonzales PC

Here's an interesting piece on "why great perfumes smell like death"  it's the same sort of principle with the great savoury cigars,  you need a little bit of rotten

https://medium.com/w-gtd/angel-by-thierry-mugler-why-great-perfumes-smell-like-death-2d563e9c331f

• Like 2

To me, "twang" that I'm looking for is barnyard - aromas of fermented or processed hay, or straw that has a slight citrusy sourness - basically, horse manure.  I find it in a lot of CCs whether in front or in the background.  I find it very forward in most Cohibas.  I agree with @99call that "funk" has a different meaning to me of musty or moldy forest or earthy aromas.  I just did a review of my first JL1 where all I got was musty basement and sourcream which might sound horrible but was actually very enjoyable until the young cigar got hot and bitter.

Bottom line is that Prez is right to ask what specific flavor profile you're looking for since "twang" or "funk" is going to have a lot of different meanings for the members.

• Like 3

That’s pretty much my definition of Cuban twang too - barnyard and citrus.  I sometimes get it in a really good PLMC lately, but certainly don’t encounter it as often as I used to.  LGC is a profile I strongly associate with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

I just did a review of my first JL1

Yep, JL1 another great exponent of 'The Funk'.    The combination of Woods, meatiness of body,  and a burnt Marmalade sweetness, reminds me of a nice BBQ bark on pork ribs.  Definitely an Umami heavy cigar for me.

• Like 3

I don't associate youth or ammonia notes with twang at all.  It's a positive for me, but perception does vary.

You see a similar thing with people trying to describe funk in whisk(e)y, like Campbelltown Scotch or Wild Turkey.  It means different things to different tasters.  For me WT, for example, is petrichor, barnyard, cream cheese...  An odd combo but it makes dusty Turkey incredibly delicious when it's present in a good version.  

4 minutes ago, Deeg said:

I don't associate youth or ammonia notes with twang at all.  It's a positive for me, but perception does vary.

You see a similar thing with people trying to describe funk in whisk(e)y, like Campbelltown Scotch or Wild Turkey.  It means different things to different tasters.  For me WT, for example, is petrichor, barnyard, cream cheese...  An odd combo but it makes dusty Turkey incredibly delicious when it's present in a good version.  

Never heard cream cheese for dusty Turkey before. Makes Cheesy Gold Foil have a whole new meaning. I’ll need to crack my dusty Turkeys and look for that. I still have an 89 CGF and an 86, 89 and 92 8/101 open.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

Never heard cream cheese for dusty Turkey before. Makes Cheesy Gold Foil have a whole new meaning. I’ll need to crack my dusty Turkeys and look for that. I still have an 89 CGF and an 86, 89 and 92 8/101 open.

I have an 88 CGF open and it truly is one of the greatest whiskies ever made.  But my 80 and 87 8/101 are no slouches either.

I get that cream cheese (it's really more of a cream cheese frosting) note especially on the finish.  More so in 12/101 than 8/101 but in the 8 too, if it's old enough.  If you're lucky enough to try Tribute or the Japanese 17/101 from 2001, they're loaded with it.

24 minutes ago, Deeg said:

I have an 88 CGF open and it truly is one of the greatest whiskies ever made.  But my 80 and 87 8/101 are no slouches either.

I get that cream cheese (it's really more of a cream cheese frosting) note especially on the finish.  More so in 12/101 than 8/101 but in the 8 too, if it's old enough.  If you're lucky enough to try Tribute or the Japanese 17/101 from 2001, they're loaded with it.

Shoooooooo, Tribute is way out of my whiskey budget at this point. I think the early 90s 8/101s still have a lot of value at their secondary prices. The CGFs are amazing. The one I got was signed by Jimmy, and I got him to sign my 92 8/101 last time I was up there. I get a lot of dampness and rustiness in it to go with a cola sugariness. Speaking of funk, I’d say United Distillers OGD, Johnny Drum 15YR and Maker’s Mark Black Label are loaded with it. The JD15s may be my favorite.

• Like 1

I agree with those of you who say that funk and twang are different. That being said, for my palate, when those two components come together, it just does it for me. I love other flavor profiles as well, but I posted the question because I am having trouble finding much of either “funk” (barnyard) or “twang”, let alone both together, in the regular production cigars I’ve smoked from 2016-2020. 

Full disclosure... I have stock and experience from 1995-2000, and then not again until 2016 to current. Obviously there was a major change, as you all know, between these eras.