Do you store/age in cardboard 3/15 packs

It seems that the 3/15 packs have been coming around more. So far I have been picking up packs that I am unlikely to have for more than a few years. Lately though I have contemplated picking up more to age given some of the recent prices relative to boxes.  Ordinarily I limit aging boxes to slb whenever possible or dress box. 

Wondering from those who have had their collections longer if they taste a difference between the sticks aged in the cardboard vs dress box or even SLB?

I guess I could always take the sticks out and age them in an emptySLB, but that somehow seems less desirable for a few reasons  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had some good cigars that have been stored in cardboard, the majority have been quite dull though. Personally I take them out and stick into a SLB

The cigars in cardboard are the roundest, but do become blander over time than in other presentations.  The exception may be if they are in celo and cardboard, but those cigars are not so common at th

After talking with El Prez on zoom, I took all of mine out of the cardboard and put them into a humidor. 

Whether it's mental or real, I don't like keeping cigars in those individual cardboard boxes that come in 3s for even a short term.  Not so much a taste issue, I just don't like them.  I either keep them in the drawers of the fridges or old boxes in the tuppers.  No experience on long term though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VKUTT said:

Here's something though...dress boxes are cardboard and paper; thoughts?

Dress boxes are plywood (potentially with a cedar veneer) covered in paper, I think. Whereas the cardboard packs are each cigar (or each group of cigars) surrounded in cardboard and inside another layer of cardboard. So I think the volume of cardboard and how much cardboard surrounds each cigar is a bit of a difference.

I'm pretty sure there's an effect from so long a period in so much cardboard. I haven't had a ton of older/aged cigars, but from the ones I've had I've never had anything like the blandness of those cardboard pack cigars, and some were much older than 2007 (1998, 1999, etc.).

• Like 2

My thought is if its ok to store in cardboard, the linings and wood used in tubos, dress boxes and humidors would not be spanish cedar. I'm not even crazy about some dress boxes in my humidor unless they at least have a cedar insert. Cardboard? No way. It's a scredded pressed product that delaminates in high humidity and I don't want my stogeez to absorb that moist smelling dank cardboard when it delaminates like that. Plus the cardboard boxes take up more space than putting the smokes in a cedar tray. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Hmm. @Fosgate you may have inspired me to make some cedar trays. 

Forrest over at Wineadors.com makes some pretty slick vented divider trays etc. Doesn't have to be a wineador, just give him measurements and he'll build it. https://wineadors.com/index.html  I've got a set in one of my wineadors and he built me a custom tray to hold a dual fan I bought off Amazon and customize a drawer for me. Takes awhile though. I think he's still a one man show. In 2015 mine took about 3 months. 

Same as most guys here, I’m quick to move the cigars from their cardboard boxes onto one of my trays however I haven’t noticed much difference in favors or strength from cardboard packs.  

If it’s true what some have said about the cardboard mellowing or rounding out the flavors, then that may explain why I have had some very oily Monte 4’s that were much smoother than ones I’ve had from dress boxes.

9 minutes ago, Lrabold89 said:

I don’t think dress boxes and cans are made of Spanish cedar ....someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I think that’s a common misconception

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your correct, they often have the cedar seperator between levels. The wood is ply or solid wood which does not delaminate like cardboard. I just got two boxes of Month Double Edmundo in the mail today. First thing I did was pitched that stupid yellow cardboard insert they now stick in their boxes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

I don’t think dress boxes and cans are made of Spanish cedar ....someone please correct me if I’m wrong but I think that’s a common misconception

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to CCW:

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/packaging/information#Packaging_Types

Dress boxes stopped being made of cedar in the 70s. They are now plywood with a cedar veneer and as @Fosgate said they may have a cedar insert between the levels.

Cabs and Semi-Boite nature stopped being made of solid cedar around 1997. And are also now cedar veneered plywood.

Boite Nature, 898 boxes and fancy "cabinets" (sir Winston boxes and so on), are still made of cedar.

But in all cases I'd take plywood with or without a cedar veneer over cardboard.

I've had some good experiences with cigars in Petacas.  I have some 2001 CoLa's that smoke great as well as some 2005 Mag 46's that are epic.  I smoked Trinidad Reyes, Coloniales and Fundadores from petacas as well. I found the cardboard imparts a bit of sweetness.  I can't remember where I heard or read about this, but the paper in Cuba is as close as you get to "organic" paper.  Very little chemicals are used in it's production therefore the cellulose in the paper has a lot of its natural sugars intact.  Even farm rolls wrapped in Granma benefit from the paper.  Having smoked the same cigars, from the same time period in petacas or boxes/cabs. I will say the paper does sweeten the cigar a bit.  So, in short. I leave them in. But check them now and then for mold issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How are cigars stored at lcdh's around the world? You mean to tell me that if you find a 3 pack of anything Cuban with a 2000 box code in cardboard you'll pass? I don't believe you. 

I store the way the pros do... if it's good enough for lcdh's it's good enough for me. 

Cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

How are cigars stored at lcdh's around the world? You mean to tell me that if you find a 3 pack of anything Cuban with a 2000 box code on cardboard you'll pass? I don't believe you. 

I store the way the pros do... if it's good enough for lcdh's is good enough for me. 

Cheers

I have some 2007 RyJ Petit Coronas in cardboard I got last year, they are absolutely ruined as far as I am concerned. I wish whoever the original vendor was they were able to store them some other way. I'd probably pass on 2000 box code cardboard.

Edit: In the entire history of Bond Roberts there have been 4 cardboard packs pre 2010 sold or listed. And three were 2003 RyJ Petit Coronas.

Edit 2: Here's a thread with lots of beetles and some mold from a LCDH: 

• Like 1