Do you store/age in cardboard 3/15 packs

I used to keep them in cardboard on rare occasions to keep certain sticks from touching others when I had limited storage space, but would never do it otherwise. I also heard that cardboard can be more conducive to mold if you like to run your rH on the higher end.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had some good cigars that have been stored in cardboard, the majority have been quite dull though. Personally I take them out and stick into a SLB

The cigars in cardboard are the roundest, but do become blander over time than in other presentations.  The exception may be if they are in celo and cardboard, but those cigars are not so common at th

After talking with El Prez on zoom, I took all of mine out of the cardboard and put them into a humidor. 

5 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

I store the way the pros do... if it's good enough for lcdh's is good enough for me.

No retailer, especially LCDH franchise wants to have any cigars languishing for years.  Flipping product is what retail is about.  Sure there are some retailer that do age some stock, but I bet they either own their location or have a sweetheart lease.

• Like 1

my completed uneducated thoughts are, if you are planning on smoking within 3-5 years, the cardboard is likely fine. 

but if you have time, patience, funds, and abilities to long term age, it just makes sense to take out of cardboard, or tubes, or whatever, and put into SLB (or similar). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No retailer, especially LCDH franchise wants to have any cigars languishing for years.  Flipping product is what retail is about.  Sure there are some retailer that do age some stock, but I bet they either own their location or have a sweetheart lease.

Also I feel that those vendors that do age, favour slide lid boxes or semi or full boite nature even over dress boxes, much less cardboard packs. I would think the return on investment would be better on those, especially over cardboard packs. There is very little in the way of aged cardboard packs in auctions or available from aged vendors.

To me it seems that if vendors like LCDH or others store unsold cardboard packs in the original packaging it's because it's not standard practice for vendors to unpack and repack cigars. Just because they can't easily remove them from cardboard packs in stores and then sell them later, doesn't mean it's not better to remove them from the cardboard packs at home where you have no worries about proving what cigars came from where later.

As to tubes the common consensus (as to all things in cigars, somewhat unscientific), is that tubes slow down aging. Lot of discussion as to what is best, out of tubes, in tubes sealed or unsealed.

Recently picked up two Petacas of CoRo. Was a good deal in current times.

Went straight into an empty cab. That's why I keep empties. Good for customs too....

• Like 3

Oh and empty cabs are much more useful than dress boxes. Cardboard pack cigars are extremely round as has been said, and dress boxes are sized for the eventual box press of the cigars, I moved my RyJ Petit Coronas into dress boxes but had to use 2 dress boxes per 25 cigars (4 dress boxes for 2 5x5 cardboard packs), as I could only fit one row in and still close the boxes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bijan said:

I have some 2007 RyJ Petit Coronas in cardboard I got last year, they are absolutely ruined as far as I am concerned. I wish whoever the original vendor was they were able to store them some other way. I'd probably pass on 2000 box code cardboard.

Bijan you proved my point... you bought aged cardboard cigars. You're my exhibit A. Might not buy again cause you got burned or didn't like the outcome... that's pure chance. I believe you've vindicated me with your rebuttal. Thank you kind sir. ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

Bijan you proved my point... you bought aged cardboard cigars. You're my exhibit A. Might not buy again cause you got burned or didn't like the outcome... that's pure chance. I believe you've vindicated me with your rebuttal. Thank you kind sir. ?

?

Not really though. I bought blind. Vendor didn't have the right photo, thought I was buying 2 dress boxes. Then was kind of happy because of the 2007 code and a few bonus cigars they threw in, but ended up unhappy because the cigars were bland (next time I got a 2 box deal from that vendor I left a note asking for them to let me know if it's cardboard pack). So I don't think I proved anything except this one set of 2 5x5 cardboard packs was a dud :)

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

Also I feel that those vendors that do age, favour slide lid boxes or semi or full boite nature even over dress boxes, much less cardboard packs. I would think the return on investment would be better on those, especially over cardboard packs. There is very little in the way of aged cardboard packs in auctions or available from aged vendors.

To me it seems that if vendors like LCDH or others store unsold cardboard packs in the original packaging it's because it's not standard practice for vendors to unpack and repack cigars. Just because they can't easily remove them from cardboard packs in stores and then sell them later, doesn't mean it's not better to remove them from the cardboard packs at home where you have no worries about proving what cigars came from where later.

Cardboard boxed cigars are good for refilling open boxes for singles in the walk in.  Aged cigars if bought new by the merchant were because no one bought them yet.  Not that they are bad; just haven't been sold it.

16 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Cardboard boxed cigars are good for refilling open boxes for singles in the walk in.  Aged cigars if bought new by the merchant were because no one bought them yet.  Not that they are bad; just haven't been sold it.

Yes there is a definite pattern where if I buy a less popular cigar it will likely have more age on it.

Just happen to have received - and deboxed - a 3 pack of Esplendidos this morning. I do save the boxes temporarily in case I want to take the cigar somewhere (as unlikely as that presently is). 

On the one hand, some of the best Siglo III’s I’ve smoked in a year or two have come from some 2017 packs I received late last year. Perfectly round and still very rich in aroma. 3 years isn’t that long, and I like my III’s with at least that much time. Not bland, in any case. I had no choice about deboxing them as every single stick was covered (and I mean covered) with “bloom.” None on the foot though, and they’ve been excellent. 

Nevertheless, I invariably remove cigars from cardboard boxes for two reasons: ease of storage and better aging. Storage is easier because I don’t like having loose single packs which means keeping the bigger pack until it’s empty. I also have to open each cigar individually on occasion to check for mold and say hello.

But the biggest reason is the advice handed down to me: 1) don’t age in cardboard if possible, and 2) cigars age best when resting tobacco on tobacco (as in an SLB). IIRC @Elpresidente told me on a Zoom herf he’s a big believer in the second, and attributes a good deal of SLB benefits to it. So wherever possible, I age all my singles from a particular marca/line (except tubos) in trays resting on top of each other. So those Esplendidos are now resting with some CCE singles on top of a bed of Siglo IV’s and a few CoRo. 

I try to avoid cross contact wherever feasible; if necessary I’ll use an old cedar divider to separate two layers, but the overwhelming majority of my singles are loose Cohiba and Montecristo (I don’t like consolidating boxes because I can’t keep track of which is which). 

"if you find a 3 pack of anything Cuban with a 2000 box code on cardboard you'll pass?"

100 % of the time.

Ask me about 2001..........:whip::moon:

" cigars age best when resting tobacco on tobacco (as in an SLB) "

could not agree more with this .Started this myself in 1985,and have done so since.

Last evening we were discussing this at our weekly herf..........

• Haha 3

On 2/10/2021 at 6:35 AM, chuckpnoy said:

On a side note, what are the thoughts about keeing cigars in tubes (particularly Cohiba)?  Take them out?  Keep them in but cap off?  Cap on?

Cap off for me! But many say keep the cap on because it allows them to age differently. Try both and see what works for you! 

I will move them if I can, but it only really matters if you have poor control over your humidor.

In my early days (poor humidor control) I found that paper products would be the first to get any mildew odor. I then went scrubbing my storage for any cardboard. Storing cigars for me has come a long way. I now never worry about it.

Frankly I like having some of the 3 packs to give away. I tend to find tradesmen on all my projects that love my cigars. Someone works really well for me, a three pack of HdM PR's might be found in his gang box!

Cheers! Piggy

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mprach024 said:

I haven’t bought cardboard packaged cigars in probably 8-10 years.  If I did I would absolutely take them out immediately.  

Sooooo many great deals out there on cardboard packs that cannot be passed up...almost always with gobs more age than other packing formats. Not the sexiest presentation, but value galore.

Stay woke lol

2 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Sooooo many great deals out there on cardboard packs that cannot be passed up...almost always with gobs more age than other packing formats. Not the sexiest presentation, but value galore.

Stay woke lol

If it's a tiny bit of age fine. But if you "luck out" and get a 10+ year sample, I think we have multiple people in this thread that got such and the cigars were pretty bland.

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

If it's a tiny bit of age fine. But if you "luck out" and get a 10+ year sample, I think we have multiple people in this thread that got such and the cigars were pretty bland.

Cigars that old aren't routinely available...I'm mostly speaking to stuff that's 3-5 years aged.  Just for fun, here's some aged (cardboard) boxes I've gotten for VERY fair prices...these likely would never have been avail in other formats: MCDE MEL 15, Hoyo PR AMO 16, MC2 MSU 17  MCE AMO 17...just a few off the top of my head.  Lot's of Monte for some reason, prob b/c it's one of the largest production & much is packed for retail worldwide.

I only expect these deals to become more plentiful as brick & mortar retail has effectively been gutted b/c of Covid.

27 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Cigars that old aren't routinely available...

They are in cardboard packs :) My theory is other cigars get more and more desirable as they age, so eventually they get scooped up and won't get to 5+ years. Cardboard packs are the same but past 5 years they basically fall off a cliff in terms of demand. That's how I can account for the 2000-2010 cardboard packs I've seen around.

Of the many boxes I've got blind this past year, by far the oldest were those 2 cardboard packs I got from 2007 (next oldest was 2015). Other than that 2017-2018 boxes are available in dress box and SLB at standard prices for almost everything, though any older than that aren't really available for popular cigars, I've gotten boxes of 2015-2016 this past year for obscure vitolas.