Do you store/age in cardboard 3/15 packs

52 minutes ago, Bijan said:

They are in cardboard packs :) My theory is other cigars get more and more desirable as they age, so eventually they get scooped up and won't get to 5+ years. Cardboard packs are the same but past 5 years they basically fall off a cliff in terms of demand. That's how I can account for the 2000-2010 cardboard packs I've seen around.

Of the many boxes I've got blind this past year, by far the oldest were those 2 cardboard packs I got from 2007 (next oldest was 2015). Other than that 2017-2018 boxes are available in dress box and SLB at standard prices for almost everything, though any older than that aren't really available for popular cigars, I've gotten boxes of 2015-2016 this past year for obscure vitolas.

I don't know where you shop but I don't 'routinely' see 10 year old boxes for sale at reasonable prices...

I think you're missing my point that cardboard packs can represent amazing value vs. dress/SLB of the same age (all examples I listed above were purchased at below standard retail). That's the only point I'm making.

Also, I wouldn't base your sole opinion of aged cardboard boxes off that one 07 example you experienced. Not very fair.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had some good cigars that have been stored in cardboard, the majority have been quite dull though. Personally I take them out and stick into a SLB

The cigars in cardboard are the roundest, but do become blander over time than in other presentations.  The exception may be if they are in celo and cardboard, but those cigars are not so common at th

After talking with El Prez on zoom, I took all of mine out of the cardboard and put them into a humidor. 

4 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

I don't know where you shop but I don't 'routinely' see 10 year old boxes for sale at reasonable prices...

My point is that any standard box with 10+ years age will go for auction or be sold as vintage.

Only time a vendor has given me 10+ year stock at discount price were those cardboard packs.

5 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

I think you're missing my point that cardboard packs can represent amazing value vs. dress/SLB of the same age (all examples I listed above were purchased at below standard retail). That's the only point I'm making.

Fair enough. My only point is that age in the range 2017-2018 isn't that hard to come by in other formats. If price is better of course that is a big factor.

8 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Also, I wouldn't base your sole opinion of aged cardboard boxes off that one 07 example you experienced. Not very fair.

That's fair in regards to your question of buying circa 2017 cardboard packs, But in regards to the topic of this thread, namely, aging in cardboard or out of cardboard, I think my 2007 example and @VKUTT's 2003 example, are relevant.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JZBdano said:

30 CoRo fit perfectly in a Shorts cab and I like surprises so it's a win win.  

Was already having that issue w 12 RyJ Churchill’s rehoused in a PSD4 box after a box split. Can’t wait until I find those in a few years ?. Hope they are good. 

3 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Was already having that issue w 12 RyJ Churchill’s rehoused in a PSD4 box after a box split. Can’t wait until I find those in a few years ?. Hope they are good. 

That's hilarious...I have a 10er of Mag 56s stashed away somewhere in a 10ct dress box. Haven't seen em in over 2 years ?

42 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

That's hilarious...I have a 10er of Mag 56s stashed away somewhere in a 10ct dress box. Haven't seen em in over 2 years ?

Eventually I will take my laptop into the basement and do a full inventory check against my spreadsheet. Until then, well it’s a certain degree of faith. 

7 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Eventually I will take my laptop into the basement and do a full inventory check against my spreadsheet. Until then, well it’s a certain degree of faith. 

I wing it on my entire collection...I'm cool with losing stuff for long periods lol

Went through everything a few months ago and came across a few boxes I totally forgot about.   I go by memory and a piece of masking tape with notes on boxes.  I only thoroughly check my long term storage containers every year or 2 or 5 so there's always a few surprises.  I always try find alternate housing for cardboard packs and bundles before they nap which adds to the excitement on inspection days. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, chuckpnoy said:

On a side note, what are the thoughts about keeing cigars in tubes (particularly Cohiba)?  Take them out?  Keep them in but cap off?  Cap on?

Perusing this old thread and realizing it may have new significance now that we’re seeing better availability in petacas and because 3/5 packs will become the only size many smokers will be able to afford in Cohiba. The only Trini in packs that I know of are Vigia. 

Regarding the above, I keep all tubed cigars in their tubes. I think tubos are, depending on the cigar, more an advantage than a problem. They do age a little slower and naturally gain a little more cedar over time. If you don’t like cedar it can be partly dissipated by removing the tubo a day before smoking. 

Cardboard sleeves, on the other hand, are the pits and I immediately put the cigars into a singles tray with their marca or an SLB if possible. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to how, when, or even which ones go bland.

Case in point: a few years ago I bought two 5-packs of Siglo III with 3 years of age, same exact box code, same storage conditions (lightly “plume” covered). One pack was stellar - while they smoked older than 3 years they had plenty of flavor. Cigars from the second pack are the blandest Cohiba I’ve ever smoked. 

• Like 4