Royal Robustos Blend

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am decidedly not a fan of the RR. Never had a good one. The best ones I've had were closer to the original releases (12-13). But even those were mediocre to me. I really don't love the "darker"

Aren't these LCDH? If so then they're definitely a different blend like all LCDH releases. I just think about the Superiores, and especially the La Trova... both VERY different from their respective m

Guarded and vague is the least of it. It's probably the biggest secret in the entire cigar industry. That information is on par with the formula for Coca Cola and the KFC herbs and spices. Only two or

I've only had one RR, which was solid. Maybe body between the A and the 46? Similar flavors as I recall. I'm partial to the 46 and also love the 54. The 50 is a bit on the light side for me, often with draw issues. a seems light as well, but no draw problems. But I only have a couple boxes of 50 and A. Many boxes of 46 and 54. 

• Like 1

Based on my experience, which may be skewed by having had an off box, it’s a totally different blend that barely resembles an HU. I smoked through a 2014 box over the last 4 years, finally smoked the last one recently. The whole time, I was waiting for the taste to come around to something H Upmann-like....never happened. Every stick over the years was consistently the same with a strange stone-fruit element dominating - didn’t care for them at all. And H Upmann is one of my favorite Marcas. It was either a bad batch, or it’s a blend that doesn’t play well with my palette.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Couldn't be less similar to the Connies. The Mag 46, it has some similarities. Dark, coffee, licorice. Zero shortbread.

Hmm...perhaps it was licorice I was tasting. It was some dark, concentrated sweetness that I found really kinda ruined every stick for me.

12 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Hmm...perhaps it was licorice I was tasting. It was some dark, concentrated sweetness that I found really kinda ruined every stick for me.

I am decidedly not a fan of the RR. Never had a good one. The best ones I've had were closer to the original releases (12-13). But even those were mediocre to me.

I really don't love the "darker" side of Upmann. I also don't like the No. 2. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nKostyan said:

A clueless blend

Exactly how I would describe it. Muddled. No identifiable core and the other flavors are indistinct and inconsistent. Reminds me of some of the older ELs. 

Don't know if you've had any Propios, but I enjoyed that very much. Would have been great if the RR blend was similar. The Mag 56 was also enjoyable. Those blends have some character. Even if they had just used the Mag 46 blend with a little extra seco it could be something nice. The RR is a missed opportunity IMO. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I am decidedly not a fan of the RR. Never had a good one. The best ones I've had were closer to the original releases (12-13). But even those were mediocre to me.

I really don't love the "darker" side of Upmann. I also don't like the No. 2. 

The OR I had were very rich and pretty darn good! Other boxes were just flat with muted flavors. Have not bought any in years. On another note I was shocked to see the new Upmann Retro Tins come with Regalias!! Thats a big miss for me. 10 bucks for a VERY marginal cigar? Pass

5 hours ago, Silverstix said:

You a fan of the 46?

No, but at least the blend is distinct and you know what they're trying to do with it, and it's consistent. I have no problem with that. Same with the No. 2. The RR, I have no idea what the blend is. Sometimes I get identifiable flavors, sometimes not. The flavors I do get, when I get them, are similar to the Mag 46's dark coffee and licorice. I think it would have been great for Mag 46 fans for the RR to be an "expanded" Mag 46 with a little rounder and richer profile. Instead it's kind of a Mag 46 that got lost in the woods and fell into a mud puddle.

Love the Royal Robbo. Couple years ago they were crazy good, I’ll have to go have a dig and see if I can find another box. 

They’ve all but disappeared from the market. Are they on hiatus or finished? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

They’ve all but disappeared from the market. Are they on hiatus or finished? 

I don't pay attention to them, but now that you bring it up they have been MIA for a while. Looks like a hiatus. They'll probably be back at some point this year.

1 hour ago, Baccy said:

Aren't these LCDH? If so then they're definitely a different blend like all LCDH releases. I just think about the Superiores, and especially the La Trova... both VERY different from their respective marcas' standard releases.

Very true. Good point! ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baccy said:

Aren't these LCDH? If so then they're definitely a different blend like all LCDH releases. I just think about the Superiores, and especially the La Trova... both VERY different from their respective marcas' standard releases.

I like most of the LCDH lines of the last decade.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baccy said:

Do they officially state that somewhere? I'm not doubting it, I just like to glean anything actual info I can find ?

It's always chapped my hide that they don't talk about blends more. For instance, ELs...Why cant they just out and say: "we are going for 'X' here (aging/complexity, etc) instead of leaving it a mystery. Same with ERs...would be nice for THEM to say if they're diff blends, or just diff sizes. Maybe they like everything to be a mystery.

40 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Do they officially state that somewhere? I'm not doubting it, I just like to glean anything actual info I can find ?

It's always chapped my hide that they don't talk about blends more. For instance, ELs...Why cant they just out and say: "we are going for 'X' here (aging/complexity, etc) instead of leaving it a mystery. Same with ERs...would be nice for THEM to say if they're diff blends, or just diff sizes. Maybe they like everything to be a mystery.

Maybe even they don’t know!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Maybe even they don’t know!

Habanos across the board is very guarded or vague about the blends of their cigars.  I think they should go the opposite way and really promote the fincas and blends used.  Would help promote agro-tourism.   Just like wine, the best chateau's are not hiding where the grapes are grown, what the blend is, or how the wine is made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

Can't say for certain, but seems like I remember a thread a while back where someone, maybe Rob, stated that LCDH used a different blend. I could be wrong and I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but it seems like I remember some Authoritative source making this statement? 

They certainly taste the part of a unique blend, and I've always noticed that about the LCDH releases...

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I like most of the LCDH lines of the last decade.

So do I. My least favourite is the Elegantes. I liked the original release box (ALO SEP 16)I had but didn't like 17 production so I got rid of them. The ones that I like the most are the Inmensos and the Libertador. I cracked a MUR OCT 13 box recently and they are really good (altough a little on the light side).

3 hours ago, gojira said:

The ones that I like the most are the Inmensos and the Libertador. I cracked a MUR OCT 13 box recently and they are really good (altough a little on the light side).

I am big on Libertadores as well.  They're quite a deal IMO.  On the Royal Robusto, I just finished smoking one from a '14 box and was quite pleasant.  Ash was really white and burned well.  No particular flavor jumped out.  That is not a prereq for me either.   Was a straightforward cigar like most Upmann's are.

14 hours ago, Baccy said:

I don't think the LCDHs stray at all. While the LCDH models do usually bring something unique to the marca I feel most ultimately stay true to the brand's DNA. The RAS is a bit smoother and has a bit more of the RA stonefruit. The La Trova is certainly to me the lightest Trinidad, but there's no mistaking it's a Trini. I just think if you go down the list, you'll find most LCDHs hit the mark on brand DNA.

I think the RR might be the biggest outlier, although I do think the Mag 46 is pretty close to the RR in terms of general idea. Although I think HU is the brand with the most variation of blend within the lineup. The Noellas, on the other hand, is no doubt HU shortbread like the Connies.