What is your favorite Churchill/DC and why?

Until the last year or so Churchills and DCs have been a little out of financial reach but now that they aren't anymore, I am looking for suggestions in addition to doing a little research. 

To date, as far as Cuban Churchill's go, I've had the R&J (which I love) and 1 Sir Winston which was great, but very young so planning to age the 2 boxes I have before revisiting.

Have any marcas been outdoing any others recently in your opinion? If so, why? Thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions!!

For me. The Esplendido is king. But they're HTF and not cheap. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the Sir Winston and RyJ Churchill. Both are great bang for the buck. I miss the QdO Imperiales and ERDM Tainos, but still have some to smoke. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In order for me:

1. Esplendidos - my cigar of cigars - I'll take all I can get my hands on.

2. Sir Winston - fantastic flavors unlike any other cigar I've had. If they're available, I'm buying them.

3. RyJ Churchill - sporadic construction issues but when they are right, they are delicious.  Worth the risk at the price.

4. ERDM Tainos - Small sample for me (1), a bit funky but I've got a couple boxes resting for a future re-try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Esplendidos and Sir Winstons being tops. I also think Lusitanias aren’t far behind, if the Partagas profile agrees with you.

Another sleeper in the DC range is RAG. I’ve yet to meet a RASS I like, but RAG is a completely different animal with its graham cracker element.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Agree with Esplendidos and Sir Winstons being tops. I also think Lusitanias aren’t far behind, if the Partagas profile agrees with you.

Another sleeper in the DC range is RAG. I’ve yet to meet a RASS I like, but RAG is a completely different animal with its graham cracker element.

I favour the RAG over the RASS as well.

The Churchill is a vitola that I like quite a bit. I like all the Churchills except for the Hoyo which I find a bit underwhelming. 6 have eluded me so far but they aren't easy to find.

• Like 2

Hoyo seem to be a bit split. Interesting. Have a fiver on the way from 16. Very interested to give them a try. Not that one sees them around much anyway, but something perhaps to hunt for on 24:24. I always seem to miss out   
RAG have been good for me, but not terribly distinctive from other RA. 

RyJ seem to be a crowd pleaser. I had a sixer from our host from 19 that was nice. 
Like you I was out off by the cost of a box of something I was unfamiliar with. I highly recommend splitting a box w someone (or many) local to you or go w sixers.

• Thanks 1

Up until recently, I would have put the Lusi at #1 (for me), but the AGO ‘18 box of Punch DC has floored me. Possibly the best DC I’ve ever had. The RAG is powerful and tasty. The HUSW is one of the big game boxes that has eluded me so far. None to be found in Havana, and disappear like a ghost every time they hit 24/24!
I am so far unimpressed with the latest versions of the R&J Churchills, but again they may need some more down time. Just not majestic as I remember them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HdM DC is my all-time favorite smoke in the 7+ inch category.  Medium roast espresso with streamed cream, and a vanilla bean cake donut (the kind without glaze).  

I love everything about it down to the classic single HdM band.  It goes with every kind of meal or mood ... all I need is the time to fully enjoy it.  I just wish I could jump fast enough to grab a 50 cab when they show up on 24:24!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all of your responses, this is exactly the kind of feedback I need to decide what I'd like to focus on acquiring first!

I am happy to see the great feedback on the Esplendidos, I've been especially hesitant on that one due to the price but from what I'm hearing, it would be perfect to stash a box away for *really* special occasions.

Also, I find it interesting how split a lot of folks are with the RAG! I love the marca, with the Superiores being a stand out favorite of mine, so I definitely will be getting the RAG eventually, but I might hold off until I first get some of the others first.

Thanks again everyone and feel free to keep the discussion going ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

hoyo's are like partagas. you either love em or hate em. 

and generally those who like one, dislike the other. 

(in my mind, they are the opposites of the Cuban spectrum) 

Interesting...my top 2 are Hoyo DC and Lusi, and they switch back and forth, with perhaps Hoyo taking it.

• Like 1

I take it you are looking for current production?

If so, my answer is pretty lame; I like them all about equal.  No strong preference either way. 

If Upmann Monarch's were still made; they'd be my favorites.  Great cigar and even better price.