First brisket on my new Yoder 480S smoker

JY0

Looks great. That's a nice looking smoker. I'm on about my fifth cook on a little RECTEQ that I got for Christmas. What wood do you like for beef? I found the Kingsfor blend was a little strong and hickory was very good.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:00 AM, miamipadronsmoker said:

My Treager is on its last legs and I’m not sure what to get. I’m leaning towards a campchef woodwind. 

I'd strongly consider a RecTeq https://www.recteq.com/shop/grills I had a chance to pickup an RT700 on a group buy at $800 each on a pallet that a guy was trying to become a dealer. Only problem was It was about 500 mile round trip to pick it up. I've got a Traeger Timberline 1300 and the RecTeq was right there as well. Yoder is also really nice. 

Pelllets I love the Lumberjack brand over the Traeger brand and they are half the $ to boot. 

18 hours ago, Fosgate said:

I'd strongly consider a RecTeq https://www.recteq.com/shop/grills I had a chance to pickup an RT700 on a group buy at $800 each on a pallet that a guy was trying to become a dealer. Only problem was It was about 500 mile round trip to pick it up. I've got a Traeger Timberline 1300 and the RecTeq was right there as well. Yoder is also really nice. 

Pelllets I love the Lumberjack brand over the Traeger brand and they are half the $ to boot. 

Wow thanks I’ll look into it. Part of me wants to ditch pellet all together and get a real rig but the convenience is just hard to give up. Here’s a brisket my friend smoked on his rig for the super bowl. It was better than what I can get from a pellet. 

B4741B1D-D900-4465-AD40-C2F4F2CD86FC.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Wow thanks I’ll look into it. Part of me wants to ditch pellet all together and get a real rig but the convenience is just hard to give up. Here’s a brisket my friend smoked on his rig for the super bowl. It was better than what I can get from a pellet. 

B4741B1D-D900-4465-AD40-C2F4F2CD86FC.jpeg

Nice, 

You would be suprised what you can get out of that New Timberline series. There are a lot of little tweaks that add up in the unit. For me a big difference is the thermal control with the double wall to insulate from cold. Also the Super Smoke setting on min is always on or I'll light up and toss in a smoke tube. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I've got a buddy from southern Illinois that competes and drives out here every two years for family get together. Well smoke meat and take it to our local cigar lounge and hose a rum tasting with BBQ and stogeez. Makes for a good time. Anyway I was on the fence with my 1300 and talked to him and he knew a fellow competitor that was tough to beat and had the Yoder, RecTec and Now also the 1300 along with several ceramic and offset smokers. Said he would absolutely not give up his Traeger 1300 for two of those RecTec 700's. The convenience and consistency to practice is there and the things he can do with it he has not been able to do on others. 

Part of cooking well for certain is getting out of the idea of time and temp. You always hear people asking for it. Rality is meats done when it wants to be done. Low and slow if you want it tender and anything above if your in a rush and willing to compromise...alot. I found using a good cooler like Yeti/Rtic is great to preheat and put your meat in and let it rest for several hours (over 10 for brisket that was phenominal). Took my cooking 4 briskets within a month and 3 of those on the same cook after doing alot of research before I really figured my grill out. I posted the results on the Central Texas style brisket. Brisket is one of those you can make so many mistakes and it doesn't matter what grill you have. I found once you discover a technique using very simple ingredients will lead up to your best cooks. I really dug into Aaron Franklin cut selection, ingredients and techniques and found hands down my biggest eye opener to cooking a phenominal brisket that makes the time involved worth every bite. I bought his books, watched all his youtube videeos and articles then moved onto others discovery of certain techniqeus. Wrote it all down into what I though was the guide and recipe to follow and cooked a test batch of 3 briskets. I'll do another brisket soon to confirm but after that I'm going after Plate Cut Beef Ribs. 

Image result for plate cut beef ribs franklin bbq

• Like 2