Reusing Boveda

Fosgate

How long are you stretching out your Boveda bags by recharging them and what method are you using to recharge them?
I honestly don't see a forecasted end of life for mine. Recharge by storing in sealed container with distilled water in a tray with a sponge as a wick.

Bovedas can last several years, but will eventually fail.  You'll see the wrapper/envelope start to fail.  It will look sort of like grease stains.

All of my storage containers seem to be well sealed and so they go very slowly.  In my cellar, 65 rh and 65F, they go years and years, but when I do get one drying out I take it with me on the next trip to our SE Asia office where I have the opposite problem: too much humidity.  I bring the soggy SE Asia Bovedas back home and so on.  In both the U.S. and Asia all my stash is in water tight bins, so the Bovedas don't have to work all that hard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had bodedas feel like they're falling apart. It feels like the membrane is separating from the paper cover, so i've just ditched them to be safe... i had them for 7+ years so thats pretty good.

I recharge by just dropping them in a bowl of water. Normal Perth tap water. seems to puff up after a few days. Just need to let them dry on a bench for a few hours so the paper cover dried and then good to put it back in your humidor. 

I've had some Bovedas for up to 10 years. I always recharge them in a ziplock bag with a wet paper towel (thoroughly soaked but not dripping). Takes longer than dropping in a bowl of water, but I think it helps to preserve the overall integrity.

boveda.jpg.298200c822a4bfbb3bbceaa65a68d662.jpg

• Like 1