Help! Cabinet Humidor Greenhorn

Jason55555

So after the post "Another Wineador Conversation...." I decided move away from my dead wineador with Spanish cedar shelves to pull the trigger and got this.

image.png.fc8c0bb06c2b93e2d0a1e2fa967d4961.png

Now Some Help....

1.  Humidification - Boveda vs Heartfelt Beads vs Cigar Oasis

Yes. I know everyone has there personal preference and what works for them but for humidor of this size 6ft by 22" aka 10-20Cubic what would you recommend and what has worked the best for members? Also I keep all my cigars at 65%  (Gotta say only read nothing but grief about Cigar Oasis when searching threads)

2. Smart Hygrometer - Boveda Smart Hygrometer vs Random Amazon Hydrometers vs Any Recommendations 

Just wanted to pick members brains here any good/great ones they have purchased with a great working App and accurate?

3. Lastly any care tips, suggestions & tricks I should know about when dealing with a humidor of this size.

Example. From searching our forums a few computer fans are a must inside to circulate air.

Thanks for passing on any knowledge!  

Cheers.

1. Humidification- I just got a second wineador and figured I would try a cigar oasis. I really was looking forward to the wifi on it. When it got here trying to setup the wifi was impossible. I'm no stranger to computers and electronics or configuring devices for WiFi-most recently my Traeger Smoker. I have range extenders and saw in the directions that the Oasis doe not support over 2.4ghz and faster wifi. I'm running 5ghz but have a second slower connection that I was trying to configure to. I went through multiple attempts and clearing the oasis settings after each failed attempt. After about 3 hours I was done with trying to configure the WiFi. Which by the way is free the first 30 days and after that is subscription based. You would think for a subscription based service they would be utilitzing up to date tech that is easier to configure and simply works. Anyway I put it in my wineador and after 48hrs I pulled it out. I had preprepped shelves and boxes of cigars from my other wineador that I dispersed in the new one. I put a freshly calibrate Boveda Butler in with it and I learned over a two day period that the oasis could not move enough air placed on the center shelf to evenly distribut humidified air as I moved the boveda around and found voids all over. I would up pulling it and putting in 3 320g 65%rh bags and several smalled 65%rh bags in the drawers taking up the same footprint of the oaisis overall and it holds perfectly at 65rh. 

That said, go with either the Boveda or the Heartfelt. The Oasis would be a no go for me. I had the 3.0 Plus which should have been sufficient but realistically the Magna would have been more appropriate, but a much larger footprint and again, lackluster wifi subxcription. 

2. I love the Boveda Butler hygrometers. Easy setup and check from my phone with adjustible alert settings for low/high Rh and Temp. 

3. Some say fans accelerate aging but the nice thing about a fan is that you don't really need to rotate stock. This is the fan I have in the bottom of each of my wineadors. I made a simple cedar box and noted the bottom for air flow. You can run them 24-7 if you want or you can set them on a simple timer. I spliced in a quick disconnect so I can easily take the fan out and maintain a seal. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CO543S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ACtC-3cW2NqwHhPUCNzggkj1Q1o6i572hkjeby6tfLV6ONnjFD9Wqq1tek2RGvOYqcuF4yzu-OSLcTha8qP2UM5q7MRN-56FxSAIpEyPh-YkSlEDHNYrJHuGPHcbzZGRejQpZGEDlxdEAZAq7ad6As35fbPg=w2408-h1805-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dXRXMsHT8QNCOeH9eB32JOuTiXDaDNDsxGGLOTADJ6NsgHleBDTecag6Mh84fKLZrqyZSAW_7g7yhYyszNo-lOxFIy1FNvg-NUFQeMg6jJuIF0lHifRhP1Fw-GWYOhoniLD9tvZ7hG35-ayp2QZuTq=w2408-h1805-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3edzSBXh6E7SFCzjKl9_PtywFoLl2Hqvf39hHQ3qKBxrjNUOqmmtERr0IddsKgp66x7k7gVyQLqzYVo3YpIfXk3UIdfSQn48H-fiV975ghA2L6cTa99H92yO-Yltf9QZ8LjIg5-1Tf-O1hS_0fn_HxAsg=w1355-h1805-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3c9JauS98JdD8zsMSMW91djsWhtOnDzKQTiayEMJkgiPm2gwWzPEMCeGMMapiL67MaFqprj_7sfX9v9b2vjDoVGscz4o3l4X4Gt2dkHNJIydw5pVM-R8d7LXWBnNW3ikAK0-y57dpGQq8BvI07IjjuhSg=w1355-h1805-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3eu1aNwJ6aKfSInSGRbAYiyNXVXbdP-0rvulXJCoO1sIXQd-gXPFfsiUCvWSFIGuSxvrTYZvZ1dyUdX7AsWqy4X9772RK3GXzjoDU9UwHCaE9GX3cCyoLOPnmaxzKOzFr54voRtiE3kYUrIEjdDT_cV7Q=w1355-h1805-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dcbgsK-l2mhMfdF41bLINHiYjnXbqKndtD6tYsdXZNRRFkaWI4cXez4SSASMZasRcrM0dUtbBGEkHBZOrTQDIc3NPajwOPJZvh2Qr3cTBu_kt614iG5CdZvDuX3ni2PVIiT_3ipK2YZSGP5EqLezeZ=w1355-h1805-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jason55555 said:

Thanks @Fosgate great insight and interesting information I've never heard that about Fans causing advanced aging.

Neither had I until I chatted with a seasoned member here that is really into aging 7+ years.