The meaning of Picadores

10 hours ago, nino said:

that is where the word Picadura derives from

Yes, I think we discovered the source of the confusion. The friend of the OP clearly thought Picadores was Picadura. 

That said, it appears any cigar named Picadura would be one that you should avoid!

• Like 2

Picadores use a pica, long lance, to “cut” the bull’s shoulders to weaken it.  So we’re getting closer to resolution ?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PuroDiario said:
Your friend is mixing “Picadura de tabaco” which means “ground tobacco” roughly with Picador which its meaning is the described above. 

That makes sense.

22 hours ago, Habana Mike said:
picadura
from The Century Dictionary.
noun: The scraps which accumulate in making “book d” fillers for cigars.
So, OK....not picadores

Thanks for clearing this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i asked my friend, the bullfighting expert, if he had any thoughts on any link - he is also a very keen cigar smoker, which was how we met. 

he tells me that he has never been able to find any definitive link between the two but he has pondered if the length/shape of the cigar might have a connection to the spear. but this is just conjecture and i don't think he really believes that.

he has wondered if, with picador meaning spicy - something he finds as a negative connotation for cigars - that perhaps that is the link to the picador spear and its role. but many don't find that same negative connotation so i doubt that is of much use.

so it seems that our expert has no link between the two, which suggests to me that time to look elsewhere and that some of the other posts hold more water. 

but always fun chatting about bullfighting. 

I think it probably has to do with the picadores in bullfighting.

Another cigar name "Lancero" has a similar connotation, "spearman".

I've been to a few bullfights in the last few years and yes, the job of the picador is to weaken the neck muscles of the bull and tire it. The bullfighter also watches all these bits before the main act to see how the bull reacts, which side it favours etc.

I'm not going to debate bullfighting, though it is always ritualistic, there is more to it than stabbing a bull to death. It is a great place to smoke a cigar though recently I've noticed more people glaring at me/us for smoking cigars in the stadium.

There is another style of bullfighting, entirely from horseback, even older in Spain than the more familiar version, "Rejoneo". I've seen rejoneador Diego Ventura a couple of times. He's probably the most well known at the moment. It's an interesting show.

Some of the best trained horses I've ever seen, they must learn quite a few new gaits. Even some of the horses become famous.

Here's one called Merlin. 

Warning. There is footage of bulls being damaged and the music is awful.

• Like 3