Newb to forum intro

Fsonicsmith

I am from C-Bus. That is Ohio. My main hobbies are music, collecting vinyl records, high end audio, exotic hand built bicycles and cycling, wine collecting, cooking, and BBQ. And single malt Scotch. I am 61 and a lawyer. My wife of 33 years understands all of my collecting, or so she claims. 

When the cigar boom of 1990 or so hit, I got swept up in it. I used to take eight hour trips on the way to go fly-fishing in the Smokeys to that big vendor of cigars including house brands in Burlington NC, following the billboards. I still have 30 year old cigars in one of two huge Igloodors I maintain. My cigar smoking tapered off a lot until three years ago when I started buying Cubans. Sitting back smoking a brisket, sipping single malt, and smoking a Cuban is one of the World's great past times. 

There is something in common among playing vinyl records and smoking a cigar. Ritual and accessories. With records, there is a process that many but not all of us employ of first cleaning the record with a record cleaning machine, then de-stating the record, then cleaning the stylus, and then again applying a special brush to the spinning vinyl and then putting a record weight/clamp on top all before carefully lowering the tonearm. We don't find it to be a nuisance but instead a relaxing ritual. I don't need to tell you the rituals surrounding (allegedly) properly enjoying a cigar. I love the feel of a nice lighter. I recently splurged on a beautiful blue fade ST Dupont. Before that I insisted on using a Corona Dunhill-knock-off. I know torches are arguably better. But there is something so satisfying about a well crafted heavy milled from a metal block old fashioned lighter. 

• Like 1