I just discovered H.Upmann Half Coronas

• JohnS changed the title to I just discovered H.Upmann Half Coronas
29 minutes ago, NeedlessKane said:

Hey everyone! I’m a relatively new smoker and have been enjoying the smaller 20-40 minute smokes My go to for a while was Monte 5, but end of last year I got a box of H Uppman Half Coronas on a 24:24 and wow, super great!

What else would everyone recommend in this similar size and format? 

Montecristo Media Corona is exact same format.

Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales is a little fatter and a little longer but also basically the same.

Edit: Also Vegueros Mananitas as a small Pyramid (I've never had one), and Partagas Serie D No. 6 as a small Petit Robusto, same length but fatter, more $$$.

• Like 2

The Monte MC is definitely worth a try. It's quite a bit mellower than the Monte 5. 

The RyJ Petit Royales, when good, it excellent. It's a bit more robust than the HUHC. 

And while it's a bit larger in RG than the "half corona" category, the Partagas D6 is also usually very good, although I'm not a fan of the format.

• Like 2

I’ll second the D6 (and 3rd it - it’s great and timely) and add the HdM de Depute to the convo, although it’s a little longer and skinner than the HUHC.  Similar smoke time, though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason55555 said:

Since the start of winter I've discovered the Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto, these have been smoking great - Cream, Cedar, Toasty Sweetness, Coffee notes.

Oh that sounds lovely! 

1 hour ago, LLC said:

Few years ago I preferred the HUHC but I definitely prefer the Monty Media Corona for the last while. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll definitely try the Monty MC!

1 hour ago, BigGuns said:

I’ll second the D6 (and 3rd it - it’s great and timely) and add the HdM de Depute to the convo, although it’s a little longer and skinner than the HUHC.  Similar smoke time, though

I’ve seen the D6 and have been curious!

11 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Maybe it’s time I give the HCs another try. Lots sing their praises here. Gave them multiple tries after the PCs went out to pasture and they did nothing for me.  I love Upmann and I’d happily be wrong about the HC’s uninteresting profile.  

Yeah maybe it’s time to give them another spin! 

37 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Maybe it’s time I give the HCs another try. Lots sing their praises here. 

I don't count myself as a fan. They're high quality, just not my cup of tea. Blend just doesn't hit me right. I find the same thing with a few other very popular cigars like the Party Shorts, Hoyo Epi 1/2, Dip 2. 

Every cigar is worth a revisit, but you're not crazy if you don't like them. 

I like the HU Half Corona quite a bit. I always take a few with me when I visit Germany in the winter as there is no inside smoking in my mom's or my brother's homes. Another short smoke that I tend to smoke there is the Boli Coronas Junior.

Surprised no one mentioned Rafael Gonzalez Perlas. Best value in the perla format (since op liked Monte 5).

3 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

I hate these have been DQ'd. I recently got a couple boxes of 20s & they're glorious...will be looking for more b4 they disappear.

Which cigar? I don't think anything discontinued has been mentioned so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

Which cigar? I don't think anything discontinued has been mentioned so far.

3 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

HUHC was on the last DQ list, no? 

Everyone was bugging out about it

Best guess...I'd say the reference is to the H.Upmann Petit Corona, discontinued in 2017.

• Like 2