New Forum Member -- Saying Hi!

17 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Welcome to all the new members.  

To the OPs original question, you should try some of the real classic examples of the marcas.  It’s how I started many many moons ago to hone down what I like, and ultimately helps me focus on where to build my collection which is constantly changing and evolving.

- Partagas Lusitania and/or Serie D4

- Punch Punch

- HDM Epi 1 of 2 (DCs if you can land them)

- R&J Ex 4 or Churchills

- MonteCristo #2

- Bolivar Belicoso Fino

Id also recommend trying the Connoisseur A from Upmann.  Obviously grab Sir Winstons if you can but good luck finding them, and Connie A gives a sneak peak at the “other” profile you can get from Upmann vs the 46.  

Good luck sir, happy hunting, and remember to take your time it’s a marathon not a sprint.  

This is very helpful and thought-out, thanks!

Welcome and enjoy! Great group of people here with an extensive knowledge about anything other than cigars! ? Kidding of course.  You'll find yourself having a great time and learning more than you ever thought in the process. 

Welcome but beware. 

although you have a good collection now FOMO and 24:24 are powerful forces. 

read as many reviews as you can and you will start to see reviewers you like and marcas that have a flavor profiles that are appealing to you. That’s one good way to spend your money on sticks that are likely to be in your wheelhouse. Only you know “what’s good” for you. 

Building a collection is a process for sure. Enjoy the journey. Read a lot of threads and ask a ton of questions. This forum is quite friendly and very forgiving. 

• Like 2

my advice is learn what you like before you go "too deep". 

there is a wide range of cigars, and what is popular to many may not fit your flavour profile. 

it took me about two years before I realized what I didn't like....it took longer than it should have because I tried to convince myself I liked certain cigars because they were popular, or cause Prez said they were his favourite. 

Almost to the point I thought I was doing something wrong.....then I realized we all have different enjoyments....

(of course you can always sell something you don't like). 

but i'd smoke a good amount of what you have, and find out what you like, before you 'go deep'. PigFish's advice above is sound!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Echoing the advice to try stuff before committing too deeply. I'd get 2-3 singles or a quarter-box (6-pack) of new things even if it costs a bit more per stick, it'll still save you from getting full boxes of stuff you don't like. I did that with a lot of cigars!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

my advice is learn what you like before you go "too deep". 

there is a wide range of cigars, and what is popular to many may not fit your flavour profile. 

it took me about two years before I realized what I didn't like....it took longer than it should have because I tried to convince myself I liked certain cigars because they were popular, or cause Prez said they were his favourite. 

Almost to the point I thought I was doing something wrong.....then I realized we all have different enjoyments....

(of course you can always sell something you don't like). 

but i'd smoke a good amount of what you have, and find out what you like, before you 'go deep'. PigFish's advice above is sound!

I think there are some good points made here. Don’t get sucked up in what a lot of old goats think about cigars. Or, old pigs!!!

Singles are good and variation is good. If you are in cigars for the long haul, pace yourself and learn what you like. Don’t try to emulate those that are at a different stage in the game than you. Don’t load yourself up with cigars that may not be in it for your long haul (reinforcing a point made above). You are only going to get to know the cigars that you smoke. Don’t get all balled up about aging and stockpiling at this stage.

Cheers! -Piggy

Lol. Lots of great advice and monologues shared about getting started in CC.  As you can see from his collection of 400+ he’s not getting started, new yes but he’s well on his way.  Reading his post, he’s simply asked everyone to look at his inventory list, and recommend some sticks for him to try as he expands. Let’s give him some suggestions as he requested, I’m sure it’s overwhelming when there’s so many choices, and unsure of where to go next.

• Like 1

Buzzard got on to me to try HDM Epi 2s on a zoom this summer, and I bit.  Got a 15 pack to try.  Loved 'em.   Just ordered another box.  Glad I gave them a shot.  There's something to be said for a little encouragement to expand your horizons.  And hell, what doesn't do it for you today might work tomorrow (and more often than not does, for that matter).  Not working for you now?  Bury, blow the dust off down the road, and there's a reasonably good chance it clicks.  If not, do it again.  Pretty sure most of us go through phases of "don't want anything else" and "I need something different."   

Next up, Stogie Steve's Punch DSP endorsement.  A little more rest and 'll be ready to judge him as a person for the recommendation.    

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, adriatic33 said:

Been lurking on this forum for a while and am excited to join and contribute! 

A list of my approximate current Habanos stock, for those interested. Would love any recommendations on expanding my collection. 

Quai d'Orsay 50 x25

H.Upmann Half Corona x25

H.Upmann Royal Robusto x10

H.Upmann Magnum 46 x50

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo De San Juan x20

Partagas Presidente x25

Por Larranaga Picadores x 25

La Gloria Cubana Espana Regional x 20

La Flor De Cano Espana Regional x 10

Diplomatico Benelux Regional El Diputado x 10

Sancho Panza Gran Quixote Benelux Regional x 20

Juan Lopez No 1 x 25

Vegas Robaina Famosos x 25

Ramon Allones Specially Selected x 25

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona x25

Montecristo Edmundo x12

Sancho Panza Belicosos x10

Trinidad Vigias x8

Trinidad Media Luna x8

Trinidad Coloniales x12

Partagas Maduro No. 3 x 5

Nice colleçioné! Welcome brosef! ????

Welcome.   You have a good start already with your current collection.  I like the list mprach024 put together.   When I first started I purchased a box of H. Upmann Connie 1 and Montecristo #2.   Then I purchased some singles.   But I think it is a better value to purchase quarter boxes.   Then if you get a dud you have 5 more to try.   Plus you have several to really get a handle on the flavor profile or share with friends.    Most of the time you can grab two quarter boxes hit the threshold for free shipping.