Fake Siglo VI

zeebra

A friends friend “just came back from Cuba” and got him a box of Siglo VI from “the airport”. He sent me an image and to me they look fake.  
Just from my knowledge :

sticker/code is always on box as a seal.

dots overlap on the band and cutoff.

Barcode number is wrong- suppose to be 12 correct? So I doubt to even check the Habanos site to confirm. 

Anything else I missed? 

I want to tell him they are fakes- I don’t mean to be rude, but I believe they are fakes.  And of course to prevent future fakes being purchased. 

285187E5-C4C3-4E56-9BF3-95038FA71344.jpeg

My friend's daughter studied in Cuba for a year and came she came back with that same box... He was handing them out... I didn't have the heart to tell him... It's still in my coolador...

• Like 1

I have to wonder where at “the airport” these were obtained? As well we know, the Cuban government is kinda touchy about fake Cuban cigars. If they think you are in possession of them, (or maybe you have more boxes than is normal) you get to follow the nice lady into a small room, where she checks your facturas vs. what you have. She was quite thorough.

AAD79415-A475-45F5-A99F-C88831E29FEC.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I have to wonder where at “the airport” these were obtained? As well we know, the Cuban government is kinda touchy about fake Cuban cigars. If they think you are in possession of them, (or maybe you have more boxes than is normal) you get to follow the nice lady into a small room, where she checks your facturas vs. what you have. She was quite thorough.

I remember my first time in Cuba with friends we each bought a $50 box of fake Esplendidos or Robustos and my friends were real worried about sticking on the warranty seals just right to not have any issues like this.

Also, and this might be nothing but QA/QC, but the stain and varnish on the slide would make me suspicious. If you were making a couple of boxes, you might build them in that order. If your quota was 200/day the planks would be finished before they were cut.

• Like 1

Sorry, the carpenter in me has taken control. The box ends are butt-joints, on (every) legit cab I have ever seen the corners are dovetailed.

Without exception... ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Agree with all notes

now the hard part- do I break the news to him? He also mentioned his friend always brings him a box.  
Also, not sure how good of a fried he is, but that would be an expensive box to bring a friend IMO 

On top of that, he wanted to trade for some smaller smokes - which I’ll give him for free anyways regardless 

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

But what are you trying to verify? That they printed a valid number on a fake box ?

Lol- just wanted to email it to my buddy for him to see also.  

shows 13 numbers on the fake box, you take off the last number and it actually pulled up Cohiba Genios box of 25 

3 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Short answer: No. Let your friend enjoy what he has. More than a few times (in middle and South Florida, I have been gifted “Cuban” cigars from friends and coworkers. Their offering is no less genuine since they know I enjoy a fine cigar. I would never take that away from them! I always give them a stellar review on their gift.

Most of the time I barely get thru the 1st third... ?

But his friend brings him a box every time - and who knows what’s inside

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

I remember my first time in Cuba with friends we each bought a $50 box of fake Esplendidos or Robustos and my friends were real worried about sticking on the warranty seals just right to not have any issues like this.

Be better to put them on wonky.  If it’s perfect that’s a dead giveaway they are fakes 

3 hours ago, CFCTerry said:

They are only compatible with Internet Explorer

Safari works too on mobile

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zeebra said:

But his friend brings him a box every time - and who knows what’s inside

Well, there is that... ?

22 minutes ago, CFCTerry said:

They are only compatible with Internet Explorer

This link works:

http://72.137.204.14/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon

They don't have SSL security and then pull up the picture from another site through javascript or something so many browsers are starting to block that. If you go in by the IP address it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's a good friend, you let them know. Education sometimes has to start with a bad experience. If you let them continue to make the mistake and constantly buy bad fake cigars, you have to ask yourself, am I really a good friend?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This HSA bar code verification has never sat well with me. As if it's difficult for a counterfeiter to copy one. Then someone runs it through and gets a confirmation and it gives the box way more credibility than it should have. And then you have people questioning the missing codes from gray market vendors on perfectly legit boxes.

Honestly, I think these codes add nothing to the protection of the consumer and likely do more harm than good ultimately. 

1 hour ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Short answer: No. Let your friend enjoy what he has. More than a few times (in middle and South Florida, I have been gifted “Cuban” cigars from friends and coworkers. Their offering is no less genuine since they know I enjoy a fine cigar. I would never take that away from them! I always give them a stellar review on their gift.

Most of the time I barely get thru the 1st third... ?

You are much kinder soul than me. I would tell him with no hesitation and then give advice his next he can avoid getting taken for a ride.  I would also let him know not to feel bad, we’ve all been burned before, and a person is more likely to find fakes than genuine unless you’re in an LCDH or proper retailer listed on Habanos SA website.  

• Like 3