H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1

9 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Ready to rock fresh but they do age beautifully. As said, many people are loving 10-12 year old ones right now. I I don't think a "peak" on these has been determined. 

I think the best boxes I ever had were SMG. Maybe 08s. Had several. We did a group buy. They smoked well for a good 7 years. Wish i would have saved one! 

26 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

If you're able to pick codes, it's not blind. :wink2:

True enough. But most buyers don't know about this.

Also I don't bother unless there's a fuss or a to-do about something like this over here. (or I can get a memorable month)

I'd rather the vendor pick a good box from everything that's available, rather than I handcuff them to one mastercase or box.

I think the surplus of precisely the codes that have been a problem from that vendor indicate they're being passed over. I guess word is out on that date range.

This is likely.

Typically, vendors that don't disclose codes tend to ship older boxes first so the late 18s are pretty much gone by now. Not saying it's impossible to get one, but I'm not hesitating buying blind. 

A lot of vendors get Grey Market boxes coming in all the time (a lot, not all). I'm guessing these are boxes that didn't sell at the original shop or vendor. So I'd expect a steady supply of somewhat older boxes coming in. I just got a NOV 17 box of Monte 3 (from an entirely different vendor), that just went on sale.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bijan said:

A lot of vendors get Grey Market boxes coming in all the time (a lot, not all). I'm guessing these are boxes that didn't sell at the original shop or vendor. So I'd expect a steady supply of somewhat older boxes coming in. I just got a NOV 17 box of Monte 3 (from an entirely different vendor), that just went on sale.

I've received 2-3 year old boxes as well, but I have noticed this more with popular product (Monte, PSD4, RASS) and less with off-brands (SC, VR, most HU). 

It does seem it happens to me the most with Monte. I rarely get ROTT Monte. Last box of PE from a few months ago was mid-18. All last year was getting blasted with 17s. 

I can almost always count on Trini, VR and SC being ROTT when I get them. Connie A & 1 and PL also. 

I’m actually torn in if I’d even want 2-3 year old product with the way quality is lately.  I did do an order for Fundadores from DEC17 I was happy about since Fundies were rocking then.  I got some ‘18 COROs too.  If I were getting Monte 2s or 4s as an example I’d be happier with mid ‘19 to ‘20 than I would for 18 or earlier even if available.  I’m not a box code guy though, as long as I’m getting hand picked quality from a trusted vendor I don’t have much issue with blind purchases with current quality levels on most examples.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I'm one of the guys that made a relatively recent purchase from a European vendor that got a BRE NOV 18 box.  First few I had months ago I thought were good.  I just learned of the problems with the late BRE code.  Read Bijan and NSX and panicked.  I yelled at my kids, slapped my wife around, put our dog on the street to learn him good, blamed my parents for my suffering, then went back and pulled another to get the inevitable reckoning out of the way before calling it quits . . .  and . . .  it was really good. 

BRE NOV 18 Connie 1 ruined my life even though mine are terrific.  I lay it all at the feet of NSX and Bijan.  Thanks alot.   

I also got a BRE NOV 18 box last year.   I tried one when I was cleaning my garage but kept putting it down too much to really get a good read on it.    I am going to try one again this weekend and see how it goes.

17 hours ago, Bijan said:

The problematic ones are all BRE OCT-DEC 18.

But not all BRE OCT-DEC 18 are problematic. @JohnS had a good box of BRE NOV 18. I think @Kaptain Karl has a BRE OCT 18 or BRE NOV 18 that's ok.

But I also know a lot have been burned by boxes in that range. @Odessa I think.

I read a lot of hate about late-18 Connie 1s on this forum, not my experience at all. All my BRE Oct/Nov boxes have all been brilliant.  MSU Fall 18 also very nice.

I think is the mid-late 17s that seem busted (in my dumb opinion)

16 hours ago, Gamehawker said:

Many people love them with little age on them but I think they come into another level with at least 5  - 7 years of age on them. 

My 2011 boxes are absolutely Devine and I have not even touched my boxes of 2015 yet. 

All these years later and I still think about how great that run of Connie 1s was in 2011 coming out of PLM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HDGSN said:

All these years later and I still think about how great that run of Connie 1s was in 2011 coming out of PLM

Yup, I think I bought about 10 boxes of the H .Upmann Connoisseur No. 1 with box code "PLM MAY 11" and probably about as many as "USE NOV 11".  Both those box codes were amazing and I am glad I still have one sealed box of the "PLM MAY 11" and almost 2 boxes of the "USE NOV 11" still left.

It will be a very sad day when the last one is smoked. ?

• Like 2

I didn't get a chance to finish my review last night.   The 2nd third was the same as the first.    The final third did get fairly strong but I am not sure if that was an issue with this box or because I was smoking it too fast because it was cold outside.   It could be a little of both.   I will test another one in a month or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerPimp said:

I didn't get a chance to finish my review last night.   The 2nd third was the same as the first.    The final third did get fairly strong but I am not sure if that was an issue with this box or because I was smoking it too fast because it was cold outside.   It could be a little of both.   I will test another one in a month or so.

Funny burns happen in cold weather ?  I can't wait til late spring when I can have my morning cigar outside in the sun!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Funny burns happen in cold weather ?  I can't wait til late spring when I can have my morning cigar outside in the sun!

Yes I can't wait until I can smoke outside again.  I will say that the cigar actually burned very well it just got strong in the last third.

• Like 2