Zenyatta One of The Best Thoroughbred Horses of All Time?

PuroDan

Although its not in my profile, I am a huge horse racing fan. Zenyatta is one of my favorites and i consider her one of the best horses of all time. If it wasnt for Mike Smith in the Breeders Cup she would have been undefeated. Mike made a few bad moves early that cost her the race. What are your thoughts on Zenyatta being one of the best of all time

Zenyatta was extraordinarily great. But the best ever?  Maybe, but there’s a lot of thoroughbred history. Our Aussie friends would certainly nominate Winx, won 33 races in a row!  My friend Mort Fink (RIP) owned Wise Dan who won eclipse horse of the year twice; couldn’t lose at a mile on the grass. Zenyatta was famous for her “dance” before each race. She was a fan favorite and a great champion. I wouldn’t argue too much against her but I think the list of potential all time greats is long. 

• Like 1

spent many days in the summer at my favorite track - Saratoga.  Zenyatta was certainly awesome but I vote for one of the best horse I saw in person.  before I could bet I was lucky enough to see Affirmed win 2x as a 2yr old and then again as a 3yr old in Jim Dandy before losing to rival Alydar after disqual in the Travers. watching those two go at it was unbelievable.  my vote goes to Affirmed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Zenyatta was extraordinarily great. But the best ever?  Maybe, but there’s a lot of thoroughbred history. Our Aussie friends would certainly nominate Winx, won 33 races in a row!  My friend Mort Fink (RIP) owned Wise Dan who won eclipse horse of the year twice; couldn’t lose at a mile on the grass. Zenyatta was famous for her “dance” before each race. She was a fan favorite and a great champion. I wouldn’t argue too much against her but I think the list of potential all time greats is long. 

I didnt mean she was the best of all time, but one of the best. As for Aussie racing I actually love it and handicap it on occasion, but would argue the level of competition isnt the same as in the states. As for Winx, incredible horse.

So just to clarify. I am not saying that Zenyatta was the greatest of all time. I think she is definitely in the top 10. The greatest horse of all time imo is Secretariat or Cigar. Secretariat's Belmont time is just sick. Especially considering all the cheating that is going on now and it still hasnt been broken. Cigar is an amazing race horse as well 

1 hour ago, Boxer31 said:

spent many days in the summer at my favorite track - Saratoga.  Zenyatta was certainly awesome but I vote for one of the best horse I saw in person.  before I could bet I was lucky enough to see Affirmed win 2x as a 2yr old and then again as a 3yr old in Jim Dandy before losing to rival Alydar after disqual in the Travers. watching those two go at it was unbelievable.  my vote goes to Affirmed.

That is awesome man. To see Affirmed race in person is incredible. That must have been amazing!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boxer31 said:

No argument from me. I got to see Alydar at Arlington Park up close. He was a WOW horse and Affirmed was better. 

• Like 1

It was pretty special - wish I had photos from the 2yr old races. Very close to both of them.  It was almost impossible to get close to see them saddle up during 3yr old.  I can still remember the crowd when they took him down. When older would love to go see morning workouts. Had my first Cubans at the track   

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, Boxer31 said:

It was pretty special - wish I had photos from the 2yr old races. Very close to both of them.  It was almost impossible to get close to see them saddle up during 3yr old.  I can still remember the crowd when they took him down. When older would love to go see morning workouts. Had my first Cubans at the track   

I’m a huge Saratoga fan and I’ve only been going there for the last 5 years. Wife and I go there and to Keeneland at least once a year. They are both incredible places to spend a few days if you love the races. 

That’s awesome you visit both tracks. Never been to keeneland. Did visit Churchill once. Nothing like being at track in horse country.