Opinions regarding Hoyo de Monterrey line...

@Hibauchery my only experience was with the Epicure Especial tubos and they were "meh"... btw I'm with you on the 2 strokes motocross bikes... Spent way too much money on making an 2004 (italian) Husqvarna CR 125 into a trail bike a few years back..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

@Hibauchery my only experience was with the Epicure Especial tubos and they were "meh"... btw I'm with you on the 2 strokes motocross bikes... Spent way too much money on making an 2004 (italian) Husqvarna CR 125 into a trail bike a few years back..

I bet that Husky is sweet!  My sixteen year old is currently riding a 2007 Honda CR125 I found a couple of years ago with 30 hours on it.  I'm building a 1999 Kawasaki KX250 to race in the 50+ class.  I'll probably cripple myself.  Nothing heals naturally anymore, everything must be repaired surgically now...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hibauchery said:

I bet that Husky is sweet!  My sixteen year old is currently riding a 2007 Honda CR125 I found a couple of years ago with 30 hours on it.  I'm building a 1999 Kawasaki KX250 to race in the 50+ class.  I'll probably cripple myself.  Nothing heals naturally anymore, everything must be repaired surgically now...

I'm still getting over second rotator cuff  from going over the bars in Idaho City a few years back.(trying to get the 40 lbs gained off)  I ride with 30 year olds and I've learned the hard way not to let pride get in the way if you get passed... It's only trail riding but I still like to wick it up..  Currently riding a Beta 250 RR with a factory 300 kit and an S3 head to give it a little more oomph.

I'm a lot more careful these days... too careful... I realize what can happen and wear my knee braces etc... and am looking for another Leatt 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I find the DC's to be some of the least flavorful of the HDM line.  2 hours of meh in my opinion.  

• Like 3

For me, probably the Epicure no.1? But hasn't that been deleted now? I've lost track.

You're there or there abouts with the Petit Robusto/Epicure Especial/No 2 but the closet for me was the no.1

The Le Hoyo range are (to me) a bit more towards fuller in body and oomf, less of the soft marsh mellow style of the DC, although the Epicure no2 kinda straddles it a little

• Like 1

Just now, CaptainQuintero said:

For me, probably the Epicure no.1? But hasn't that been deleted now? I've lost track.

No still available. I just got a box :)

1 minute ago, CaptainQuintero said:

You're there or there abouts with the Petit Robusto/Epicure Especial/No 2 but the closet for me was the no.1

The Le Hoyo range are (to me) a bit more towards fuller in body and oomf, less of the soft marsh mellow style of the DC, although the Epicure no2 kinda straddles it a little

I find the Epicure 1 is cream, wood maybe some fruit. That's pretty close to the DC, but DC often has some spice/cloves. Yes to me Epicure 2 would be also be close, due to more chance of spice, though I haven't had one in a while. Some combination of these two.

I am a big fan of the Le Hoyo line due to the fuller body.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hibauchery said:

Which of the other vitolas within the Hoyo de Monterrey line has flavors most like the Double Corona?

Right off the bat....50% will love it and 50% will hate it.  The same goes for all cigars :D

HDM DC post 2019 are smoking beautifully. 

2018 + Hoyo De Monterrey San Juan (good ones) are close. 

• Like 4

+1 on the San Juan. I love the Hoyo line. My more common favs are the Especiale, 1 &2 but where most like the 2 I prefer the Especiale. The only thing I find disappointing about tthe 2 is I frequetly find myself wanting just a smidge more when I get to the end. I just had my last three Especials from a 2013 box recently and each one of them was a vanilla shake bomb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Right off the bat....50% will love it and 50% will hate it.  The same goes for all cigars :D

I'm not good with keeping details, but you had some 2014 (or were they 2016?) HDM San Juan PCC aged sticks up last year on 24:24. They are, along with the Hoyo Grand Epicures, the best HDM's I've smoked. Wish I bought a full box, instead of 6. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Thanks for the reply Rob, is there any chance of the San Juans coming into stock soon?

4 hours ago, Fosgate said:

+1 on the San Juan. I love the Hoyo line. My more common favs are the Especiale, 1 &2 but where most like the 2 I prefer the Especiale. The only thing I find disappointing about tthe 2 is I frequetly find myself wanting just a smidge more when I get to the end. I just had my last three Especials from a 2013 box recently and each one of them was a vanilla shake bomb.

I enjoy the EE's myself.

19 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Ordinarily, I think Chibearsv and I see eye-to-eye on most vitolas,  but this time. . . 

Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and ... disagree with you there. -  Office Space Lumbergh - quickmeme

Ok @rcarlson this has been eating at me a little since, as you said, you and I are usually on the same page, at least as far as our enjoyment of Churchills.  Have you had an HUDC that delivers like Espy or SW or even RyJ?  I'll even go further and ask about comparing HUDC to Lusis, RAG, and Tainos.  What about the HUDC does it for you?  Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible cigar but I've never had a "wow" experience with one.  

58 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

I'm convinced the Luxardo cherry that is often attributed to them is a damnable lie

Lmao 

Great write up on the HDM DC Rob, 100% agree.  I think it’s a cigar with such a dichotomy because it’s a very elegant smoke, there’s no one flavor that punches you in the face.  Some will want something more pronounced and will find it boring.  I personally love the HDM DC.  Sir Winstons to me are head and shoulders above the rest, with the Lucy, Espy, and HDM DC all right below it.  Which is best of those 3 depends on my mood, my current box, the setting, etc.  

• Like 1