Flor De Cano Elegidos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is up to date as far as I am aware with everything that has been confirmed officially by HSA through one of their channels. If HSA don't announce it, then I usually wait until a number of dist

I saw news somewhere of the new Flor de Cano being released and it put me in the mood for one. This one is a Flor de Cano Magicos. Very nice cigar though still young. Missing Cuba at this time of

I have some on the way, from a vendor who is now out of stock. As soon as they arrive, if there's no "TC" on the bottom of the box, I'll open one up and we'll know. Though I probably won't b

It's a 50x127 if I remember this correctly.
Nice. Right in my preferred size range.
Would love to try some La Flor de Canos, as I see them mentioned a lot and seem to get good reviews, but the only singles my vendor carries are LE's with a fair bit of age, so they are way outside my budget.

Someday I will have to bite the bullet and get one of the cheaper boxes of ten they have a take a chance.

It's one of only a few Cuban marcas I have never been able to try

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Nice. Right in my preferred size range.
Would love to try some La Flor de Canos, as I see them mentioned a lot and seem to get good reviews, but the only singles my vendor carries are LE's with a fair bit of age, so they are way outside my budget.

Someday I will have to bite the bullet and get one of the cheaper boxes of ten they have a take a chance.

It's one of only a few Cuban marcas I have never been able to try

I've had a few of the machine made FdCs from the 70s and 80s and they are nothing to write home about IMHO. The PC is short filler but it's a decent morning cigar once it has a few years on it. I have been on the hunt of some older hand made ones to no avail. The ERs are all pretty good and worth a shot.

I've had a few of the machine made FdCs from the 70s and 80s and they are nothing to write home about IMHO. The PC is short filler but it's a decent morning cigar once it has a few years on it. I have been on the hunt of some older hand made ones to no avail. The ERs are all pretty good and worth a shot.
If you are looking for some aged LEs and are willing to shell out the high cost, my vendor carries a number of them

4 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

If you are looking for some aged LEs and are willing to shell out the high cost, my vendor carries a number of them

Nah, I'm good but thank you for the offer.

36 minutes ago, FireDigger said:

Slightly off topic: Is CubanCigarWebsite still being updated? Lot's of new releases and discontinued info missing from the website.

I believe so. Which releases and discontinuations? Only one I know they are missing is PLP on discontinued side. They have a fair number of 2019 discontinuations listed and some 2019/2020 releases listed.

@ATGroom to comment as he maintains the site.

A few years ago I bought a box of LFdC from 2002.  They are still the only LFdC I have ever smoked, so that might tell you what I thought of them.  About 1/3 were so plugged I had to throw them away.  The rest were okay ... an interesting fruitcake flavor profile with an emphasis on the candied fruit.  I gifted half the box and never looked back.

FWIW, The Habanos website offers this generic description of LFDC, and I assume it applies to regular production, although Eligidos does not appear in the line up at this time:

At a medium price level, Flor de Cano cigars offer a good balance between flavour and aroma.
Today all Flor de Cano are Tripa Corta, Totalmente a Mano – short filler, totally hand made – Habanos composed of Vuelta Abajo and Semi Vuelta leaf.

Yeah--I saw that--and could not figure out if they had just failed to update the information or if it was accurate as written.

I am confident the folks here have their sources and will let us know.  ?

MOC has these in 10-count tins:

https://ministryofcigars.com/habanos-festival-release-list/

Which would almost certainly guarantee a short filler, although 10-count tin is quite odd in itself.

All I know is if they can duplicate the Magicos ER they'll have a winner. Wonderful cigar. Unfortunately, the Robustos ER was quite disappointing though.

I stand corrected... apparently these are actually available and in SLB 10s. 

mail-1.jpg

I see a vendor listing it at an even 5.0 x 50 which would be 1/8" longer than a Robustos. 

Price is very reasonable. I really hope these are good. Would love to see LFDC come back to life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

I believe so. Which releases and discontinuations? Only one I know they are missing is PLP on discontinued side. They have a fair number of 2019 discontinuations listed and some 2019/2020 releases listed.

@ATGroom to comment as he maintains the site.

That was my mistake. I don't think any discontinued cigars are misrepresented on the website, just that it is lacking new releases.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:26 AM, FireDigger said:

That was my mistake. I don't think any discontinued cigars are misrepresented on the website, just that it is lacking new releases.

In Alex's defense new releases are tough. Unless they're formally announced by HSA they're rumor or unknown until they literally appear on vendor's shelves. If you take a look at some of the recent "rumored HSA releases" lists it's about 50/50 at best. You really have to wait for a cigar to physically appear or be formally announced, and even then there is frequently many years from announcement to release.

The LFDC Elegidos and the HU Connie 2 are just about the only 2020 cigars actually confirmed to exist. I believe the 2020 EL lineup has been formally announced however. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, Islandboy said:

Today all Flor de Cano are Tripa Corta, Totalmente a Mano – short filler, totally hand made – Habanos composed of Vuelta Abajo and Semi Vuelta leaf

I wouldn't read into that too much. All regular production had been tripa corta from 2002-2020 and it might even have been written between 2002 and 2010 before the UK ER Short Robusto. Obviously they could still be referring to regular production only.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:38 AM, Ryan said:

That would suggest short filler. It will be interesting to see.

Eh, not necessarily. The QdO 50 was in the $7-8 range when it debuted. I think it's the same situation. Unpopular brand, first new cigar in 10+ years. If these are a success which they certainly could be based on what they were able to do with the Magicos I would expect the price to get up near $8-9 which is pretty close to the Punch SdP or Monte PE. 

22 hours ago, Psiman said:

Maybe Habanos is starting to get somethings right. La Gloria Cubana corona -ish size would be nice. I finally got a regular production LFDC but not the size I wanted but a robusto-ish size will do and in a 10 ct box. Now to see how they are. It will be years before we can properly assess these because we need years of production of this size. I hope they are in the vein of H.Upmann in strength and they are considered a medium strength brand. I like the LCDH  Hoyo De Luxe type box they are using.

Everything about this release is good preliminarily. Sometimes even HSA gets something right by mistake. 

IMO, LGC desperately needs some new models. A Hermosos No. 2 or 3 would be absolutely perfect. I'd even take a Gorditos or a Edmundos. Something with a little girth to contrast the MdO4. I would have greatly preferred the Britanicas go to LGC than to Cuaba. It's almost identical to the Exclusivos! I hope this one gets scuttled.

Like I said, if the Elegidos is like the Magicos it will be a smash hit. If it's like the Paises Bajos Robustos it will be a flop. The Robustos was a true medium but very muddled and messy. The Magicos was under medium, fruity, floral and balanced.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ATGroom said:

I would rather not list something than list it incorrectly as CCW is used as a reference by a lot of places, so once I put something up it becomes a bit of an echo chamber and it's hard to tell who is listing my mistake and who has a genuine source.

Exactly. CCW's precision is a double-edged sword. If people are referencing it as a primary source it needs to be 100% correct. It's not a news resource. Far better to be late than wrong. If it's not available from vendors no one's able to get it anyway. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I wouldn't read into that too much. All regular production had been tripa corta from 2002-2020 and it might even have been written between 2002 and 2010 before the UK ER Short Robusto. Obviously they could still be referring to regular production only.

Eh, not necessarily. The QdO 50 was in the $7-8 range when it debuted. I think it's the same situation. Unpopular brand, first new cigar in 10+ years. If these are a success which they certainly could be based on what they were able to do with the Magicos I would expect the price to get up near $8-9 which is pretty close to the Punch SdP or Monte PE. 

Everything about this release is good preliminarily. Sometimes even HSA gets something right by mistake. 

I am seeing prices of 4.60 euro in Germany and Austria for these.

3.90 euro in France, where the Quai d'Orsay 50 is currently 11 euro.

That would be very, very cheap for a long filler robusto. The Quintero Favorito in France is 4.50 euro.

It is also a little bit odd that they have made them 50 X 127mm (5.0 inches), rather than 50 X 124 (4 7/8 inches), the standard size for a regular robusto.

The packaging is posh for a short filler though. It'll be a nice surprise if they are long filler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1