Montecristo no 2 TUA JUL 20 (L&SRW1)

22 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

I’ve got a couple boxes of those PSP en route yet.  Anxious for the USPS to deliver them.  I definitely plan to stick those away for a while, the darker Montes seem to smoke better young than the lighter.

Yeah I 100% agree! You could tell what these will be when ready...just not there. 

I’ve basically put a 2 calendar year moratorium on everything I’ve got. Before discovering FOH, I never had the ability to do so, as burning one cigar a day depletes the stock rather quickly!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Noticeably lighter in flavor than the dark wrapper m2. Little citrus twang, nut and a cream amidst the mongrel. Into the 1/3 the mongrel dies down a tad and shows more twang. This is the flavor profile I was hoping for with the claro wrappers, however the flavor intensity is medium-low. The mouthfeel is pretty dry that’s suggesting to me it needs more downtime before prime time. However, the third poke with the perfect draw brings much better smoke production and some more flavor. There’s some great peaks of what this cigar can be, but I’m guessing these need another 6 months to a year to open up and shine.

2/3:

A light cream dominates the profile. Again, I can only think about what this will be in prime time. It’s not mouth watering richness, but I know it will be with time.

3/3: 

Nut, light cream and citrus are on the profile, yet its still in that low flavor intensity with dry mouthfeel. 

Overall...it's clear 8 months is just too young. I'll revisit in July at the year mark! I lucked out and have 2 of these light wrapper monte 2's from the same code. The PSP box is slightly nicer than the HQ box, so I'll start smoking the HQ box first and hopefully the PSP box with have 2 or so years on it before I smoke it!

85 points (high 3/5 stars) but I have a feeling it'll be a 93-95 pointer box when it turns the corner. 

3E96BCE4-3297-46B4-BCAB-E5ECAEA1DAAF.jpeg

EA835E34-D395-43B5-BA3F-5C6FC3402DCA.jpeg

E0B3C284-3117-46D9-AB9A-651440C8A4C0.jpeg

Nice review!  Was wondering how the lighter ones compared.  I have a PSP darker version.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Noticeably lighter in flavor than the dark wrapper m2. Little citrus twang, nut and a cream amidst the mongrel. Into the 1/3 the mongrel dies down a tad and shows more twang. This is the flavor profile I was hoping for with the claro wrappers, however the flavor intensity is medium-low. The mouthfeel is pretty dry that’s suggesting to me it needs more downtime before prime time. However, the third poke with the perfect draw brings much better smoke production and some more flavor. There’s some great peaks of what this cigar can be, but I’m guessing these need another 6 months to a year to open up and shine.

2/3:

A light cream dominates the profile. Again, I can only think about what this will be in prime time. It’s not mouth watering richness, but I know it will be with time.

3/3: 

Nut, light cream and citrus are on the profile, yet its still in that low flavor intensity with dry mouthfeel. 

Overall...it's clear 8 months is just too young. I'll revisit in July at the year mark! I lucked out and have 2 of these light wrapper monte 2's from the same code. The PSP box is slightly nicer than the HQ box, so I'll start smoking the HQ box first and hopefully the PSP box with have 2 or so years on it before I smoke it!

85 points (high 3/5 stars) but I have a feeling it'll be a 93-95 pointer box when it turns the corner. 

3E96BCE4-3297-46B4-BCAB-E5ECAEA1DAAF.jpeg

EA835E34-D395-43B5-BA3F-5C6FC3402DCA.jpeg

E0B3C284-3117-46D9-AB9A-651440C8A4C0.jpeg

Nice review and good to hear because I have a box of these with the same box code coming to me.  

My box is taking forever to get to me though  ?

How long did you let them rest after you got them or did you smoke it ROTT?

49 minutes ago, Gamehawker said:

Nice review and good to hear because I have a box of these with the same box code coming to me.  

My box is taking forever to get to me though  ?

How long did you let them rest after you got them or did you smoke it ROTT?

I’ve had these for 3 months actually!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I’ve basically put a 2 calendar year moratorium on everything I’ve got. Before discovering FOH, I never had the ability to do so, as burning one cigar a day depletes the stock rather quickly!

That’s the ideal place to be!!! With how much 19-20 stock is dominating my rotation it’ll probably be another year or so until I can get there! There really is so much stock from the 19-20 class that’s smoking amazing young, but ideally I’d like them to have 2 years on them to smooth out parts here and there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

That’s the ideal place to be!!! With how much 19-20 stock is dominating my rotation it’ll probably be another year or so until I can get there! There really is so much stock from the 19-20 class that’s smoking amazing young, but ideally I’d like them to have 2 years on them to smooth out parts here and there. 

Gonna make a statement that everyone else knows all too well. Cracked a cab of late ‘18 PLPC in early 2019. Most of the time (daily, after work) I reach for a PC, as the sun has long set and bedtime is only tens of minutes away. Nothing to brag about, medium/medium but pleasant nonetheless. Ignored them for most of last year. Lit one last night. Completely different cigar! Toffee, molasses, caramel bomb! Definitely moved into my #2 spot behind the Boli PC.

What a difference a day makes...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Gonna make a statement that everyone else knows all too well. Cracked a cab of late ‘18 PLPC in early 2019. Most of the time (daily, after work) I reach for a PC, as the sun has long set and bedtime is only tens of minutes away. Nothing to brag about, medium/medium but pleasant nonetheless. Ignored them for most of last year. Lit one last night. Completely different cigar! Toffee, molasses, caramel bomb! Definitely moved into my #2 spot behind the Boli PC.

What a difference a day makes...

I had that happen with a number of my ‘18 boxes as well! When I didn’t have a big enough stock I didn’t really have a choice...now I finally have the ability to let a box sit for a year or two if it isn’t firing off just yet! 

• Like 1

You and I will be the poster children for the FOH intervention program! ?

• Haha 2

On 2/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, Chas.Alpha said:

As a rule I try to put at least a 3 year (more likely a 4 year) moratorium on everything I smoke.

Hell, I was lucky enough to buy an intact box of H. Upmann Monarch tubo's "GTL MAY 07" four years ago and inspected them when I got them and have not had one yet. 

And I have a lot of different boxes from 2015, look at them every now and then to see how they are doing but have not smoked them yet either.

With all of the comments on how they 2020 cuban cigars are smoking I think I will break my rule and sample some of the boxes I have bought lately.