JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

• JohnS pinned this topic

826510893_2021-01-1215_12_27.jpg.5324e58814312e453c44f85f7279957b.jpg

Partagás Capitols TUA Abr 2020

The Partagas Capitols is a new, retro-inspired 42 ring gauge x 129 mm (or 5⅛ inches) in length cigar released in conjunction with the Romeo y Julieta Club Kings. There must be some success to these 'retro releases' because I notice that the H.Upmann Regalias is next-in-line for a retro-tin packaged release.

The original Partagas Capitols was the same length but slightly smaller in ring gauge; a 40 rg Petit Cetros which was also machine-made. At least the re-introduced, rebooted Capitols is a handmade cigar!

Like my last Partagas Capitols, this one had a beautiful colorado rosado shade wrapper, which I find quite ideal in a Partagas cigar. My previous Capitols was more complex than this one. This was mainly coffee, sourdough and forest floor flavours from the end of the first third onwards. My previous Capitols had a pleasant sourdough, spice, wood and a little coffee. There was no spice or pepper, for example.

I wrote in my previous reviews on this cigar that in comparison to the Partagas Shorts, it lacked that quality leather that you can get in those cigars, but it was a step-up from the generic Partagas Mille Fleur. Again, I still feel this way after smoking my third example from this 5-pack tin.

So, overall I would surmise that this Partagas Capitols was again a dependable smoke, was constructed well and it was more like a quality premium marevas than a lower-tiered 'cheap and cheerful'. It just wasn't quite up to Partagas Shorts, though.

• Like 4

694487048_2021-01-1216_35_04.jpg.5bb1f3ac45944f407a844182217b1b3d.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Club Kings RAT Dic 2019

The Romeo y Julieta Club Kings was discontinued originally in the mid-1980s. It actually came in a two formats; the handmade marevas and machine-made petit coronas although only the marevas was offered in a 5-pack tin. (The machine-made petit coronas Club Kings came in a cardboard pack.) This release was actually announced in 2015 but production was delayed, probably due to the packaging.

Like my last Romeo y Julieta Club Kings from this tin, this cigar had a 'grassiness' which translated into a vegetal flavour upon smoking, but it also had a nice cherry fruit, RyJ Rosewater and toasted tobacco core element to it which made it quite flavoursome.

In regards to construction the draw was slightly tight this time, whereas my previous Club Kings was slightly loose. This did not detract from smoking and the cigar smoked well.

Again overall, the main difference between this Club Kings and a quality Romeo y Julieta Churchill or Wide Churchill would be that the element of cocoa was missing, but the cigar was quite flavoursome and it was a step-up from a RyJ Mille Fleur.

• Like 4

1994056317_2021-01-2010_08_28.jpg.93cb854375f2be9b0e506f4f46b219da.jpg

Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 2014

This is the fifth Montecristo No.5 I've had from this box since I opened it recently and it was the strongest by far. I was surprised how much it was over medium in strength, although I wouldn't classify it as medium-full, it still packed a punch.

Unlike my previous Montecristo No.5s from this six-and-a-half year old box, the flavours here were much more intense, yet much less complex. I mainly got bitter chocolate, coffee and leather flavours from beginning to end.

The intensity of this cigar necessitated me smoking it slower. I managed 40 minutes and moved on to a much milder cigar soon afterwards to 'refresh' my palate.

• Like 4