JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

On 10/10/2021 at 5:59 AM, JohnS said:

1910080858_2021-09-2712_57_10.jpg.43d4e982f0ed8bc29a90c26e84dda152.jpg

H. Upmann Magnum 46 circa 2021

The H.Upmann Magnum 46 is one of those cigars that I never seem to have luck with. I think it's because in regards to H.Upmann as a marca and it satisfying my avaricious need for that softer quintessential H.Upmann shortbread and coffee flavour profile, well...I feel I can get that in a H.Upmann Connossieur No.1 or Connoisseur A. The H.Upmann Magnum 46 never quite does that for me.

In general, I find H.Upmann needs time, for my taste, to reach its peak and I definitely favour the softer shortbread-laden varieties such as the aforementioned Connossieur A and Connoisseur No.1 and Sir Winston rather than the powerhouse, when young, espresso-laden Magnum 46, Half Corona and (now deleted) Petit Corona. In any case, I will tend to age my Upmann stock, except I'm partial to smoking the aforementioned 'softer' cigars (in terms of flavour intensity) younger.

This Magnum 46 had some lovely opening notes of shortbread and cedar, a core espresso coffee and a little licorice sweetness but the white pepper that kicked in around halfway through the first third and 'overstayed' its welcome until the end, just didn't endear me to this smoke whatsoever. It just wasn't to my preference.

Kudos to you if you love the H.Upmann Magnum 46 and it is in your 'go-to' rotation. One thing I can say about it, it is a dependable cigar; both in flavour and construction, in general.

Much agreed @JohnS! I'm a huge fan of Magnum 46 and HUHC, but they need some time to be softened compare to orthodox Upmann CCs like Connie A (it tastes really good even only after 30 days of resting period). I also think Upmann cigars tend to be getting better and better as time goes by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 10/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, JohnS said:

1910080858_2021-09-2712_57_10.jpg.43d4e982f0ed8bc29a90c26e84dda152.jpg

H. Upmann Magnum 46 circa 2021

The H.Upmann Magnum 46 is one of those cigars that I never seem to have luck with. I think it's because in regards to H.Upmann as a marca and it satisfying my avaricious need for that softer quintessential H.Upmann shortbread and coffee flavour profile, well...I feel I can get that in a H.Upmann Connossieur No.1 or Connoisseur A. The H.Upmann Magnum 46 never quite does that for me.

In general, I find H.Upmann needs time, for my taste, to reach its peak and I definitely favour the softer shortbread-laden varieties such as the aforementioned Connossieur A and Connoisseur No.1 and Sir Winston rather than the powerhouse, when young, espresso-laden Magnum 46, Half Corona and (now deleted) Petit Corona. In any case, I will tend to age my Upmann stock, except I'm partial to smoking the aforementioned 'softer' cigars (in terms of flavour intensity) younger.

This Magnum 46 had some lovely opening notes of shortbread and cedar, a core espresso coffee and a little licorice sweetness but the white pepper that kicked in around halfway through the first third and 'overstayed' its welcome until the end, just didn't endear me to this smoke whatsoever. It just wasn't to my preference.

Kudos to you if you love the H.Upmann Magnum 46 and it is in your 'go-to' rotation. One thing I can say about it, it is a dependable cigar; both in flavour and construction, in general.

I love upmann since I've discovered them in the past several months. I now have several boxes of mag 50 and 46s, and an aged box of Connie A and a recent box of the same. I know I should explore more, but I'm just hooked. 

They're easy, pleasing smokes. Almost like a quintessential cigar to me. As such I've been recommending them to folks new to cigars, and recently gifted several to friends back in Houston. 

I'd love to try a SW, but I'm slow at getting around to websites, and bad at hunting them. Maybe one day.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Meesterjojo said:

I'd love to try a SW, but I'm slow at getting around to websites, and bad at hunting them. Maybe one day.

There's only a short period each year when SW's are available. They go fast! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

I would be confident that further aging would do this cigar good as it was developing nicely, in my view. It just hasn't 'peaked' yet.

Du Gourmet are amazing in terms of how long their legs are, I find super skinnies are often pretty surprising in that regard.  The box I have are 2011 (I think) and nowhere near ready.

Great reviews as ever John, hats off to you

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

I also got a distinct herbal flavour like black tea or perhaps you could categorise it as a unami taste like cooked steak...you know, the type of flavour one does not experience too often in a Habanos cigar.

These buttery cooked meat sugars  , is for me a calling card of this series, and I defo can see what you mean how it connects to herbals and umami aspects within teas.     I find the PL Picadores very interesting for this, they present a green pea sweetness that almost boarders on Matcha tea.    

The tart twang you mentioned is so specific too.   For me the only think that is similar in the current portfolio is the clean lemon zest in Monte 1's.  For me I struggle to do the choc/lemon combo.   but this lemon edge really works for the SduC blend. 

The thing I love about the Nudies, is they has ticked all these SduC core character traits, but the mintiness they have managed to capture is really impressive.     For me touches of fresh mint in a aged cigars is always a sign of high quality tobacco, and well cigars that have been well kept. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

@JohnS such amazing reviews! Especially the du Dauphin and des Dieux reviews. Those two are real masterpieces!

Thank you @Bijan! I appreciate the opportunity to research these iconic cigars and provide references for the benefit of our members.

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Du Gourmet are amazing in terms of how long their legs are, I find super skinnies are often pretty surprising in that regard.  The box I have are 2011 (I think) and nowhere near ready.

Great reviews as ever John, hats off to you

I completely concur, super skinnies do seem to have 'long-legs'. As an example, look at the discontinued La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.1 and No.3. I've never read a review where these did not pack flavour even after twenty years down!

1 hour ago, 99call said:

These buttery cooked meat sugars  , is for me a calling card of this series, and I defo can see what you mean how it connects to herbals and umami aspects within teas.     I find the PL Picadores very interesting for this, they present a green pea sweetness that almost boarders on Matcha tea. 

The tart twang you mentioned is so specific too.   For me the only think that is similar in the current portfolio is the clean lemon zest in Monte 1's.  For me I struggle to do the choc/lemon combo.   but this lemon edge really works for the SduC blend. 

The thing I love about the Nudies, is they has ticked all these SduC core character traits, but the mintiness they have managed to capture is really impressive.     For me touches of fresh mint in a aged cigars is always a sign of high quality tobacco, and well cigars that have been well kept. 

This is a brilliant summation. Thank you @99call!

• Like 2